NE Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

circuit323

Greenie
May 23, 2012
I found a 1854 barber quarter at 6 inches. It was giving mixed signals like it was a rusted nail. With my old bounty hunter a bouncing Id was always junk. Because the delta goes deeper sometimes it will bounce on good objects. I have noticed that the bh bounces in different locations and varies greatly on the Id number but the delta will still pinpoint and bounce around the same numbers. Hope it helps

TXPIRATE

Aug 21, 2003
S.E. TEXAS
Detector(s) used
" Bounty Hunter IV Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a delta coming this week. Keep us posted on you finds

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
been using one for sometime now (due to health issues --I need a very lightweight machine but I still want a decent quality machine) -- having a numbers type display is a great plus == having a 0 to 99numbers range is much better than a ace 250's mere 12 blocks (a 8 times wider "spread" into which to sort things into)== while some items still are close numbers wize -- say 56 to 58 nickles /gold ring and 60 for pulltabs --any of the 56 to 60 number can be gold so best check em -- 76 /77 are often zinc cents or indain head cents --82 is old pre 1983 copper cents and clad and silver dimes --87 is quarters --- 56 to 58 and 76/77 and 82 and 87 are all dig em numbers -- using the delta 4000 I had a 12 year old youngster that I've been training how to detect fimd his first civil war bullet this week --a 58 cal union round ball. at about 6 inches .

Last edited:

BillW212

Feb 6, 2013
Coatesville, PA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't taken mine out yet. I just bought it and put it together. Tested a few objects in the house, here are the values I get:

Kennedy half (clad) ........ 93
Newer quarter ............... 88
Newer dime .................. 83
Wheat penny ................ 82
Zinc penny ................... 77
Newer nickel ................. 58

I did not have any silver coins readily available to test

Ring ........................ 80-88
10k gold class ring .... 59-72, 75
Steel pinky ring ........ 53-54

The first ring above is a class ring type ring, but it is not gold. I also do not think it is silver. I am not sure of the metal they use. Both rings gave different values depending on how they were sitting. The highest value is if the ring is laying flat. When I laid it on its face or placed it in a different orientation, the values moved around and often did not give the same value on consecutive sweeps.

I then tested some junk - a couple old keys, a small uneven ball of foil about the size of a half dollar, and a newer style pop-top.

Keys .................... 78-82
Small ball of foil .... 60-66 (very erratic, values jump around alot)
Pop-top ................ 58

I also tested a paper clip - it did not even register on the detector with the coil right on top of it.

These are first time 'air tests', just done on the floor of my house. No interference or anything was apparent. I would be interested to know if these are the same values others see with the Delta 4000 for similar objects in the ground.

Last edited:

Dwight Frye

Apr 3, 2013
CHARLOTTE NC
Detector(s) used
TESORO CIBOLA
I have had mine for a week , still not sure about it but getting better. I returned a Ace 150 . I have noticed sometimes after many sweep it will kind of show the last read out but will just sit their for 10 seconds before detecting again . Not sure if this is normal? Also when you push the pinpointer , I don't release the pressure but I have to let off and push again ?

Dwight Frye

Apr 3, 2013
CHARLOTTE NC
Detector(s) used
TESORO CIBOLA
Getting little better but I would say the readout is wrong or incorrect 90% . Also I do not know if this is normal but sometimes after waving over a area,it will show the last readout . It may do this for 10-15 seconds before it starts beeping again . Sometimes I just move it around my metal digger and it resets.?

Dirtslinger

Apr 6, 2013
Western Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000 w/NEL SS, Nokta Impact, Garrett Treasure Ace 300, Minelab Equinox 800, White's Coinmaster 4/DB
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The numbers reflect probable targets, and it loses accuracy with depth, or other conditions. Mine hits good numbers at around five inches on dimes and pennies in my area. Quarters a bit deeper. I hunt mostly in AM1 and cruise the tot lots in disc.
My machine rings up Dimes and Cu pennies at 82 ± 1. I've gotten better at avoiding some pull tabs and can slaw by circling or changing just a couple different angles on iffy hits. To be sure, try making angle changes on the sweep (as in; take two steps to the left and check it again) and keep guessing at what it is, dig it. Repeat as necessary to get comfortable and good at your predictions. But as always; when in doubt, dig it.

OP
OP
mrmrsbenoit

mrmrsbenoit

Jan 9, 2013
NE Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Getting better with mine. dead on ivan My father lost his gold wedding ring two years ago finely got down there with my 4000. They live at a lake house floods a lot in the back yard. Was going around the yard with him going over things he remembered doing the day he believed he lost it. after a bunch of change and work material BAM 60 strong. 3 inches under was his wedding ring. also went to the beach and did ok a lot of change. Bad thing was I now the area gets detected a lot due to the beach house lining the beach. At the in-laws house found a bunch of change old toys but I did find a 1950's Netherlands 10cent. Other noted finds- black smith made wagon hook near an old wagon trail area, 1960's matching Texas license plates, wheat pennies, misc jewelry, keys, bullets newer, one gold plated money clip, and a bunch of glorious junk.
I found at first dig every thing till u start knowing your metal detector. I still dig a lot of signals because I just love the suspense on seeing what it is. Ivan's post above seems to be spot on. on the number staying it will until u get another hit. Jumping signals can also be multiple items. I found some good items on some of them like cluttered change pocket, but can also be a multi metal objects like some older cans. The pin pointer on mine works great I just hold the button after getting a hit and work around until I get the best deapth and hit. sometimes you might half to do it a couple of time just to make sure. I never have lost a signal but I have made the mistake of wearing steal toe boots and laying metal to close to the area. But all in all my 4000 is going strong good luck and keep posting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mrmrsbenoit

mrmrsbenoit

Jan 9, 2013
NE Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Getting little better but I would say the readout is wrong or incorrect 90% . Also I do not know if this is normal but sometimes after waving over a area,it will show the last readout . It may do this for 10-15 seconds before it starts beeping again . Sometimes I just move it around my metal digger and it resets.?

if u hit the pin pointer it takes a few secs to reset. the read out stays until u hit another target.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions