Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They do seem like a pretty good detector. It's hard to tell just from videos, I'd like to get my hands on one for a day or two to try.

Aug 12, 2012
I picked up the Eurotek pro to have as a back up and extra detector. I have not had a chance to get out and test , I will be taking it on vacation with me . Seems like it is a good detector though.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a Eurotek Pro and it gets 9" on a clad dime, with 8" concentric (or) an 11" DD coil. A Teknetics G2 gets 10" with its 5" DD coil. So does a Fisher Gold Bug Pro. The Eurotek Pro has a bit more depth on small to larger linear scrap iron than the Tesoro Compadre, but that's where its depth advantage ends. A 5" coil on it would likely get it that extra 1" air depth though. However, the Compadre is better balanced, and not so top-heavy. I'm not sure if the 5" DD would work on the EP. It does continually track iron and displays a flashing iron sign though if it is present, and that is a nice option..:icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, just FYI, the Eurotec Pro has a problem. It is internally ground balanced to a point of being too positive for much of my soil here in the West. So, I'ill take it upon myself to open it up and set the GB to a different point. It is so far off that the pinpoint touch mode can not be used with ease. The only way to use it under those conditions is to continually re-tune it while slowly lowering it closer to the target in question. That however, is not as easy as it seems.. Yes, I know that if I open it up and readjust the BG it will ruin the warranty. No big deal, if it does I'll be able to repair the thing myself anyway should it malfunction or break somehow. In side-by-side comparisons in high Fe ground - I've discovered that my Tesoro Compadre operates more smoothly and definitively, handles the bad ground (MUCH) better, and discriminates against iron more precisely.

The Eurotech though, does a (MUCH) better job of separating pull-tabs and aluminum foil of various sizes from good targets, and has about a 1" deeper response on coin sized steel or iron objects buried in the ground. But of course as would be expected, in the more highly mineralized soil the Eurotech makes lots of grunts responding to the iron percentage of the soil matrix, and shows the same on the iron display on the upper left side of the touch pad. :occasion14:

Last edited:

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, just FYI, the Eurotec Pro has a problem. It is internally ground balanced to a point of being too positive for much of my soil here in the West. So, I'ill take it upon myself to open it up and set the GB to a different point. It is so far off that the pinpoint touch mode can not be used with ease. The only way to use it under those conditions is to continually re-tune it while slowly lowering it closer to the target in question. That however, is not as easy as it seems.. Yes, I know that if I open it up and readjust the BG it will ruin the warranty. No big deal, if it does I'll be able to repair the thing myself anyway should it malfunction or break somehow. In side-by-side comparisons in high Fe ground - I've discovered that my Tesoro Compadre operates more smoothly and definitively, handles the bad ground (MUCH) better, and discriminates against iron more precisely.

The Eurotech though, does a (MUCH) better job of separating pull-tabs and aluminum foil of various sizes from good targets, and has about a 1" deeper response on coin sized steel or iron objects buried in the ground. But of course as would be expected, in the more highly mineralized soil the Eurotech makes lots of grunts responding to the iron percentage of the soil matrix, and shows the same on the iron display on the upper left side of the touch pad. :occasion14:
So you're saying this metal detector would be a heck of a lot better if it had a ground balance?

ezer19

May 19, 2013
Germany / Saxony-Anhalt
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Teknetics Omega 8000 10'' / 12x13 NEL
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Groundbalancing and Frequency-Change are nice Features. Without it i a have to leave the Field with my Omega. On the other side i never missed it on my old garrett 150. Sure this help you not a little, maybe someone can explain it.

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was just meaning that everything on the detector seems to be good except for the preset positive ground balance. I know already that ground balance can make a HUGE difference in the ability of a detector.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was just meaning that everything on the detector seems to be good except for the preset positive ground balance. I know already that ground balance can make a HUGE difference in the ability of a detector.

Yeah, but keep in mind the eurotek pro is a beginner machine made for simplicity. Adjustable ground balance would make it a little more complex, and it's a feature mainly found on mid-level (or above) units.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher took the F2 and added ground balance and a better coil and doubled the price. $400 If they added ground balance, I'll assume you will pay a lot more than you did.

My Fishers' default ground balance is 82. No where have I seen any ground that far up the range. My guess is, it's set that high because too many people use air tests as their only measurement of performance.
jmho

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Simply put, the Eurotech needs a ground balance for soil from the Rocky Mountains to the west coast, in order to make it handle the ground better there. If people live there they should steer away from it, and the Aces too. And the Fisher F2 works better there than either of the other two. I have tried all three and owned the Ace 250 and now the Eurotech, it's not my imagination that I write about. I can change the settings easily though, or install an adjustable pot if I want to, it's not a tough job at all.. Arkansas and European soils are extremely light and iron-free compared to the western USA soil.. Soil in Ohio and Pa run about a 5 or 6 on a CZ Fisher rotary dial, but they go from 1 1/2 to a 3 here, about 3x as much Fe ores and related Fe metal compounds, including metalic moss and other iron related organisms..

Last edited:

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Larry....thanks so very much for sharing your knowledge. I've been thinking about getting one but still haven't made up my mind yet. Is there any way that you could share your exact settings with us? I know where I live (Tennessee) my settings would be a little different but I'd like to see how someone with a lot of knowledge sets their machine up. I would appreciate it, thanks.

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
H-2 Charlie.....can you save the settings on it? If so, I may look into it. My hunting buddy has a GB Pro but he has to set it up every time he turns it on.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Volume at 4. Discrimination at 35.
Sensitivity at 8.
At 8 it quiets it down when there are too many nails and other scrap iron in the ground.
If you don't set it at 35+ disc, or 8 or less sensitivity it will sound like a bunch of magpies feeding at a grain bin.
It however is not nearly as annoying and noisey as an Ace.

Last edited:

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Mais bien sur Tennessee.. :icon_thumleft:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply put, the Eurotech needs a ground balance for soil from the Rocky Mountains to the west coast, in order to make it handle the ground better there. If people live there they should steer away from it, and the Aces too. And the Fisher F2 works better there than either of the other two. I have tried all three and owned the Ace 250 and now the Eurotech, it's not my imagination that I write about. I can change the settings easily though, or install an adjustable pot if I want to, it's not a tough job at all.. Arkansas and European soils are extremely light and iron-free compared to the western USA soil.. Soil in Ohio and Pa run about a 5 or 6 on a CZ Fisher rotary dial, but they go from 1 1/2 to a 3 here, about 3x as much Fe ores and related Fe metal compounds, including metalic moss and other iron related organisms..

That's a pretty broad area saying west of the divide, I'm west of the divide and preset ground balance detectors work well here.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll try to explain this a bit:

As I indicated earlier dirtscratcher, some preset ones do work better, and some don't, it depends a great deal on how far positive they are set at the factory. Frequencies used are another determinant. Again, the F2 does better with its slightly positive preset than the Aces and in this case too the Eurotech Pro too, with their excessive preset (internal) positive settings. The F2 is set to produce better results in a (broader) range of soils than the other two (the Euro, and the Aces). Tesoro uses a tank circuit which allows a faster retune to pre-ground balance, and that gives them an edge in good behavior over the others here mentioned, and so do the other low-end Tesoros. In fact, as I said earlier, the only real differences between the Compadre and the Eurotech is that the Europech likes iron and steel artifacts slightly better than the Compadre. The Compadre however again, is not over-driven with high gain like the Eurotech, so it runs a lot smoother here (and in Montana too) since it is preset to come back to normal so very quickly. This is what some people call "response time".. The Eurotech gives the detectorist an edge in depth there, but not here where you and I play. The Compadre punches through the ground fairly well, but discriminates even better, cleaner, quieter than the other aforementioned, it and the F2. If over-driven in gain, then the whole set of parameters becomes a different set of rules entirely. In air, the Compadre measures about an inch less than the Eurotech, but in the ground it's a match for depth here. And although pushing a detector's preset positive setting to the limit gives milder soil a better chance, it in turn robs the more mineralized soils the chance to utilize that extra power. It's one of those "borrow from Peter to pay Paul" scenarios. The F2 and the Compadre both outdo the Aces (AND) the Eurotech in high iron soilfor all-out good behavior, I have tested them all against each other so I know that this is absolutely true.

The Vaquero you own does better than the Tejon in Fe. I know, I owned a Tejon for awhile and traded it for a $1,000 Browning A-bolt 338 mag, and I got the best end of the deal, the Tejon's high gain nearly drove me to insanity as it tried to reject the bad ground, and it was noisier than an Ace too. The Vaquero is a much quieter machine in the iron belt (west of the great Divide) .. Remember, that the ground balance control in any detector is nothing more than a rough iron discrimination control, period. The Tejon really sucked on this side of the divide, noisy as all heck, but the Vaquero does much better as I have mentioned many times in the last 3-4 years. Whites Prisms though with their preset sit somewhere in the middle for decent operation because some of them have a "black sand" switch which moves the detector toward being even more negative, hence smoother in operation in iron, I have one hanging off a nail just in the other room.. I have never in my entire life ever seen a preset GB work very well in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Utah, California, Colorado, Wyoming, or New Mexico, unless hunting in wood chips or air. The manual GB ones ALWAYS work better. Some operate so-so, but never as well as manual GB ones. . I now own only about 30 metal detectors but I've worked in design & repairing, plus manufacturing thousands of them. Gold nugget hunters commonly use high frequency IB (vlf) detectors with manual ground balance, unless all they can afford is something that doesn't have it. Hope this helps.. PM me and I'll explain the hows and whys of manual vs preset or "automatic" GB, or you can read George Payne's dissertations on the subject by searching the net. Just type George Payne + Ground balance in your browser. George is why we have what we now have in detectors, he is the instigator, the Godfather of ground balance detectors. Here is one of the many notes he wrote:)

BTW, George is a rather pleasant chap, I met him when he first started his Teknetics Company in Lebanon, Oregon upstairs in a commercial office building near the old Wally-World store.

www.jb-ms.com/Baron/payne.htm

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread