jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a lot of information around the Internet about the existence of fake counterfeit knock off T2 metal detectors from China.

Here is what to look for:

OBVIOUS: Only buy new machines from known or authorized dealers. The list is right on Teknetics' website.

1. Older T2's (1st gen) do not have a serial number.
2. Newer T2's should have a serial number somewhere on the machine and/or on the package/box.
3. Call Teknetics and give them the serial number and they will tell you if it is genuine.
4. If no serial number, scratch the face plate where the controls are with a knife. It should not scratch easily. If it seems cheap and scratches easily, it is probably a fake.
5. A fake T2 will not perform very well. Try it out. It should perform like a metal detector is designed to. If it seems off, then it might be fake.
6. Investigate the history of the machine. Many fakes were sold on ebay from "no name" sellers. Many fakes came from foreign countries. Fakes are often priced significantly below the MSRP of genuine machines.
7. If a deal seems too good to be true, then it probably is. A good seller should be willing to work with you to answer any questions you have to help alleviate your fears. Ask how long they have been using the machine and how well it has performed. I would think anyone using a counterfeit machine would figure it out pretty quickly and dispose of it.

Hope this helps.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just know that these are being counterfieted makes me sick to my stomach.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah guys be very careful with this . Just remember that there is a profit margin number for authorized sellers so if you see a price that is much lower than what you see normally it's prob no good. Don't be afraid to contact the company to be sure you are buying from an authorized dealer. It's sad and it really pisses me off that hard working people that want to spend their hard earned money on a healthy and safe hobby have to deal with this crap. Just use common sense and buy from reputable retailers and you should be fine. Don't get hung up on saving $50 if you're not sure

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a lot of information around the Internet about the existence of fake counterfeit knock off T2 metal detectors from China.

OBVIOUS: Only buy new machines from known or authorized dealers. The list is right on Teknetics' website.

2. Newer T2's should have a serial number somewhere on the machine and/or on the package/box.
3. Call Teknetics and give them the serial number and they will tell you if it is genuine.
4. If no serial number, scratch the face plate where the controls are with a knife. It should not scratch easily. If it seems cheap and scratches easily, it is probably a fake.
5. A fake T2 will not perform very well. Try it out. It should perform like a metal detector is designed to. If it seems off, then it might be fake.
6. Investigate the history of the machine. Many fakes were sold on ebay from "no name" sellers. Many fakes came from foreign countries. Fakes are often priced significantly below the MSRP of genuine machines.
7. If a deal seems too good to be true, then it probably is. A good seller should be willing to work with you to answer any questions you have to help alleviate your fears. Ask how long they have been using the machine and how well it has performed. I would think anyone using a counterfeit machine would figure it out pretty quickly and dispose of it.

Hope this helps.

Great post Ben!

Did you end up getting one?

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Great post Ben!

Did you end up getting one?

Bart, I ended up ordering 2 used machines. 1 for me, 1 for a buddy. Will post a report once it arrives (hopefully this evening).

Still on the fence about keeping my Etrac. It has served me well and I think in certain applications, it will still be useful to me.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of good information Ben. I think the simple answer is to simply find and use a reputable dealer. We are blessed to have many. Unfortunately many members that are just getting into the hobby do not realize they are not just buying a detector but the service, knowledge, and support a reputable dealer offers. I work in the gun industry and experience much the same thing. Customers buy the wrong gun and or often the wrong or inferior optics and then want us to "fix" their mistake. It is way less expensive in the long run to get it right the first time.:icon_thumleft:

sycotoad

Jul 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of good information Ben. I think the simple answer is to simply find and use a reputable dealer. We are blessed to have many. Unfortunately many members that are just getting into the hobby do not realize they are not just buying a detector but the service, knowledge, and support a reputable dealer offers. I work in the gun industry and experience much the same thing. Customers buy the wrong gun and or often the wrong or inferior optics and then want us to "fix" their mistake. It is way less expensive in the long run to get it right the first time.:icon_thumleft:

Its all well & good if you are American living in the USA - Buying from an authorized trusted dealer is easy - However in the last couple of years US manufacturers have made it a lot harder for international buyers to purchase from these REPUTABLE dealers you seem to have an abundance of.
Why?

Why, in today's world of e shopping make it virtually impossible for a guy in NZ to buy a genuine product from a dealer in the USA, it just doesn't make sense -

China couldn't care less who they sell to - See the problem?

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hope this helps.[/QUOTE

How long has this been going on,i've had my t2 since 04 0r 05..I got it brand new for $250.00 from a dealer who said he had won it in a raffle at a dealers convention and could not sell as new because he didn't buy through a jobber..They where selling for $799.00 then so i jumped on it,works great,super deep and good i.d etc.... :icon_scratch:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should be fine, I don't think the problem with T2 counterfeits started until later.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread