dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a lot better luck in 2+, seems numbers on iron will be jumpy and large iron is easy to tell by jumpy numbers and size of response.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also find 2+ to be the easiest setting as far as differentiating between metal types. But sometimes a big piece of iron will give you a good sound and you just dig it up. Usually the size will give it away. If it's a good signal but it's a large footprint it's prob iron. I have found a nice old axe head and a really nice iron ring that came off a ship or was used to tie a ship to. The previous info about jumpy numbers is also sometimes a giveaway.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With Abe on that one. When it knocks your socks off but has a jumpy VDI it is a good indication it may be iron. As I am sure you already know "when in doubt dig". I will say the jumpy VDI and different sound in pinpoint gives a good idea. I have never owned a detector that didn't have me digging some iron but will admit the G2 would be the closest. Found a technique that was nearly foolproof on iron ID. Wish it worked on the T2 but it doesn't.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The big problem with not digging some of those big jumpy signals is that you are basically guaranteeing yourself that you will never dig a buried cache of coins that's in a metal box. I know the chances are slim but I can't stand the thought that I'm leaving something in the ground. The other reason you dig them is that you may find a great old axe head or other nice relic. Just because it's big and iron doesn't mean it's junk. If you dig it all you never have to wonder if you left something for the next guy!

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have the DISC set at 45 you should never be diggin nails. Learn to run that thing in AM and you will luv it!!!! HH....

whitewill_1

Jan 5, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Whites TDI, FISHER F2, BOUNTY HUNTER JUNIOR, WHITES COINMASTER 6000Di S2, Garrett ProPointer, FISHER PINPOINTER, SUNJOE HORI HORI DIGGER
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want to properly ID the iron you have to hear it for what it is. I run my disc at 4 tones 2. Low grunt is iron.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread