Omega 8000 comparison between the standard coil and the NEL 12x13 Tornado - Air Tests

ezer19

May 19, 2013
Germany / Saxony-Anhalt
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Teknetics Omega 8000 10'' / 12x13 NEL
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
here the results of my tests with the NEL and the standard Omega coil (also to find in metaldetector modification thread - was unable to move it to here)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I prefer the standard coil despite the larger depth performance of NEL coil
In my area, the soils are heavily burdened with every possible scrap (parts of agriculture equipment, ww2 remains, etc.) The smaller coil works here more precisely.
The internal pinpointer is also much less accurate with the NEL.

OP
OP
ezer19

ezer19

May 19, 2013
Germany / Saxony-Anhalt
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ezer19
thanks for the very informative test...the Nel Tornado seems to get very good depth in the air.

The Performance for large and deep objects is remarkable. This ID mark of a german soldier was about 35 cm deep. My friends (one with deus, the other with xterra 705) missed this one Day before :p

ForumRunner_20140109_150733.png

MagSlider

Dec 4, 2012
KC Area, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 11DD; Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks ezer19.... very good information. I had wondered what the advantage would be in upgrading to an NEL. It looks like in summary... the NEL will give you more depth, proportionally to the size of the object (the larger the object, the more the increase in depth).

One of the consistent challenges I face (as others do) is dealing with the EMI. Most of my hunts so far have been in urban areas. In response, I started burying targets in my backyard at varying depths, just before winter had set in. I was wanting the coins to set a few months over Winter and test when the weather warms up in the Spring. Typically, I can go as high as 50-52 on sensitivity in my backyard... which is typically the limit on whether or not I hunt at a given site. So, I'm looking forward to testing the coins... and I'll be sure to post the data once completed.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
I just purchased a Nel storm. The tornado is a 12x13 and the storm is a 13x14 to give you an idea. Should be here next week if anyone interested in that.

OP
OP
ezer19

ezer19

May 19, 2013
Germany / Saxony-Anhalt
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The NELs has been redesigned, the Problem with the bad mounted cable is solved now. old: image-2949603267.jpg new: image-2046097787.jpg

image-2717539989.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ezer19

ezer19

May 19, 2013
Germany / Saxony-Anhalt
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
please look for, when buying it to get the new model!

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Thanks fireguy
I`m interested in the NEL Storm, and how you like it ...keep us posted.
Gary

Ok so it's snowing so not much field testing yet but here is some info.

You can max the sensitivity without falsing away from EMI. I had no falsing away from my house. But when I tried messing with it in my house the wifi router made my machine go crazy until I stepped outside and knocked the Sen. Down two notches. After that it was fine. I did some air tests in the garage and here is what I got. I tested the storm in my garage away from my router but I still had to go one notch from maximum sensitivity.

I recorded the results were I got 100% consistency with each pass.

Stock coil. ___ Storm.
Max Sen. ____ One notch from max.

Clad penny.
8" ___ 9.5"

Copper penny.
8" ___ 10.5"

Nickel.
7" ___ 11"

Dime.
6.5" ___ 10"

Quarter.
9.5" ___ 11.5"

Results on my garrett ace 250
Let me know what other info you want.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
I did take it out and so far I can say this. In heavy trash (my house is 100 years old with the nail, bottle caps, and everything else in the ground to prove it.) it feels like it picks stuff up on every swing being so big. BUT took it further on my land and hit a sold dime sound from every angle, showing 8"+, and sharp sound on the pinpointer. I say it's a coin. So I'm liking it already and can't wait for the ground to thaw. That signal was not there with the stock coil.

OP
OP
ezer19

ezer19

May 19, 2013
Germany / Saxony-Anhalt
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now i have to go to my home Bank und ask for U.S. coins. Then i will repeat the test with omega und NEL. Fireguy, what you mean with "one notch from max" ?

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
fireguy
Thanks sounds good to me,good increase in depth.
ezer19
looking forward to your tests with U.S. coins.thanks
Gary

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I now have the Nel Tornado 12"X 13" Coil and that NEL has turned my Teknetics Omega into a much more stable machine.
I live in the country ,but have overhead power lines running through my front yard,i got 50 aces.Under or around the power lines with the 11"DD Tek. coil i could run the sensitivity at around 50, and with the stock 10" concentric i could run the sens. to 60 with the start of EMI
With the Nel Tornado i can run the Sens. at 99 right under the power lines, and its is very stable in AT/ All Metal,with a very sweet smooth threshold sound, and in Disc.i can run the sens. at 99 and it does not make a sound not a pep till it finds a target no EMI what so ever.
So i took it into the house and got the same thing ,but it got a little chatty but not bad at all for being in the house....air tests a Large Cent good till 16" and a little more but iffy,it gets the same depth in Disc. as it does in All Metal.
The coil wire is very thick and much better shielded from EMI than the Stock coils,and much better built IMO.
I`m very pleased with the NEL.
Of course it`s bigger than the the stock coils, so it should get more depth,but it Should pick up much more EMI ,but it don`t.
I just wonder if ALL the NEL Coils have that Very Thick,Very Well Shielded Wire on them ??
Gary

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a big jump in the sensitivity settings, I believe a lot of the aftermarket coils have bigger wires cuz there trying to make it better, I remember I had the same experience when I had my whites v3i thought the stock 10dd coil. Was awesome until I tried an sef coil I basically got the same results you did. With the new f75 ltd coming I can almost make out a nel coil in my future lol hh

Quisp

Feb 14, 2011
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Teknetics Omega 8500, Garrett GTA-1000, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I now have the Nel Tornado 12"X 13" Coil and that NEL has turned my Teknetics Omega into a much more stable machine.

Hey Gary, can I ask who you purchased your NEL Tornado from and how much you paid? I'm thinking of getting one for my Omega 8000 and (despite the 2 feet of snow on the ground) can't wait until spring to arrive.

Thanks,
Dan
By the way, I'm up in Rochester, NY, just north of you.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Quisp
I sent you a PM they are not Supporting Vendors here.
I also bought the NEL Hunter from them very little EMI on that coil either .
Gary

Last edited:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure looks like the NEL coil is a great addition for any Omega user!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions