new T2

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
After a lot of research, I just ordered a new T2 SE. I primarily relic hunt for Civil War stuff, and was wondering if there are any specific settings which are best for this type hunting in fairly good soil.
Forgive me if this question has already been answered--I couldn't find it if it has.
Is there a laundry list of preferred settings for relic hunting, or do you just have to "learn" the machine and set it according to hunting conditions? Also, I like using the smaller coils. Will I be losing a lot of depth with the smaller coil?
Thanks so much for your time and patience with me!

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, Congrats on your new machine! I got mine back in Jan. to replace my old Nautilus. What I've found so far is this machine is super sensitive to even the smallest pieces. So far my favorite setting is to initially set it in bp mode, then hunt in all metal. I set both sides to 82 sens, 9 to 10 on disc. Hum level on all metal at +1. I like to hear everything. I haven't used the small loop yet, but I've found that in this setting, I can slow my swing down and "bump" the edges of the iron for possible good targets.Last couple of trips out I was able to pull a some good targets out of large iron pocket in a site that has been pounded pretty hard over the years.Anyways try out the different settings and soon you will figure out what works best for you and the particular site you are hunting. HH, mr.b

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
First of all, Congrats on your new machine! I got mine back in Jan. to replace my old Nautilus. What I've found so far is this machine is super sensitive to even the smallest pieces. So far my favorite setting is to initially set it in bp mode, then hunt in all metal. I set both sides to 82 sens, 9 to 10 on disc. Hum level on all metal at +1. I like to hear everything. I haven't used the small loop yet, but I've found that in this setting, I can slow my swing down and "bump" the edges of the iron for possible good targets.Last couple of trips out I was able to pull a some good targets out of large iron pocket in a site that has been pounded pretty hard over the years.Anyways try out the different settings and soon you will figure out what works best for you and the particular site you are hunting. HH, mr.b

Thanks so much, mr. b--this will be very helpful! Now, if this darned snow will go away.....I'm hoping it rains hot water a couple of hours!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on buying a killer machine! I prefer to hunt on 2+ tones and the site is going to be the main determining factor for your settings. I normally have my sens between 88-94(as high as possible w/out it being too noisy). I like my disc around 8. But I've been know to turn it up to. 28-38 if the iron is driving me absolutely nutty. Make sure to GB every time you turn your machine on. If your soil is good like mine and you're away from any potential emi you should be able to run pretty hot.
As for the small coil.., it is amazing and won't lose you much depth at all. It also feels like your just swinging your arm it's so light. If you're in trashy spots put that baby on for sure. If you're hunting g a field with deep targets put the big boy on and try the bp mode. Slow your swing down just a bit. I pulled an LC out this winter during a warm spell that was between 11-12" in a field. Beautiful strong tone. Didn't give me a number at first, dug a plug and scanned it again and it showed an 88. Beautiful round tone. Hard to explain the sound of a coin but it's a SWEET sound indeed. Don't hesitate if you have any questions and go back to your old sites... You will find deep targets that you missed before. All the best, Abe

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Congrats on buying a killer machine! I prefer to hunt on 2+ tones and the site is going to be the main determining factor for your settings. I normally have my sens between 88-94(as high as possible w/out it being too noisy). I like my disc around 8. But I've been know to turn it up to. 28-38 if the iron is driving me absolutely nutty. Make sure to GB every time you turn your machine on. If your soil is good like mine and you're away from any potential emi you should be able to run pretty hot. As for the small coil.., it is amazing and won't lose you much depth at all. It also feels like your just swinging your arm it's so light. If you're in trashy spots put that baby on for sure. If you're hunting g a field with deep targets put the big boy on and try the bp mode. Slow your swing down just a bit. I pulled an LC out this winter during a warm spell that was between 11-12" in a field. Beautiful strong tone. Didn't give me a number at first, dug a plug and scanned it again and it showed an 88. Beautiful round tone. Hard to explain the sound of a coin but it's a SWEET sound indeed. Don't hesitate if you have any questions and go back to your old sites... You will find deep targets that you missed before. All the best, Abe[/QUOTE

Abe, you're a saint! Not too many people would go out of their way to help a total stranger like me, and I REALLY appreciate it! This information will be very helpful, as I'm used to my old turn on and go MXT. I still love that machine, but for some reason I keep blowing out coils--so many times in fact, I'm ashamed to ask White's to repair them again. Anyway, I'm a little apprehensive about having to make several adjustments on this new machine--afraid I will fail to tune it properly and therefore miss some good stuff. Thanks to you, I'm feeling better about it.
Thanks again so much, and I hope the next time out you find a big pot of gold for all your help! Jack.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did fail to mention I do toggle back and forth between bp and all metal.But have been using all metal most of the time in the 2 sites I've been hunting lately.It has allowed me to follow several iron trails to larger pockets. Abe is spot on. The site that you are hunting will ultimately be a big factor on how you set your machine up. I'm still trying to learn this machine, but so far i'm completely impressed!The ergonomics are perfect, 4 AA batteries that last up to 40 hrs. = cheap to operate, and the depth and sensitivity is phenomenal! I am totally confidant that this machine will perform beyond expectations at any site you may happen to hunt. Heck, it even does pretty darn good on beach! AND NO, I don't work for First Texas, but if they want to send me a pinpointer for telling the truth about how I feel about their machine, I'll gladly accept it! :laughing7: Seriously, you've got yourself a d*** good machine. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I did fail to mention I do toggle back and forth between bp and all metal.But have been using all metal most of the time in the 2 sites I've been hunting lately.It has allowed me to follow several iron trails to larger pockets. Abe is spot on. The site that you are hunting will ultimately be a big factor on how you set your machine up. I'm still trying to learn this machine, but so far i'm completely impressed!The ergonomics are perfect, 4 AA batteries that last up to 40 hrs. = cheap to operate, and the depth and sensitivity is phenomenal! I am totally confidant that this machine will perform beyond expectations at any site you may happen to hunt. Heck, it even does pretty darn good on beach! AND NO, I don't work for First Texas, but if they want to send me a pinpointer for telling the truth about how I feel about their machine, I'll gladly accept it! :laughing7: Seriously, you've got yourself a d*** good machine. :icon_thumright:

Thanks again, mr.b.--I will try this. I'm also going to try an figure out how to forward your post to the manufacturer--maybe they WILL send you a pinpointer!

hogground

Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes congrats on your new detector, I'm ordering one next week.I did so much research like everyone els and it just seems to make sense only good things to be said for it other then emi, but big woop. I looked at so many they all have cons I even considered the deus which as a fast recovery, but I think the t2 is the best bang for the buck .I got some great sites picked out and can't wait to start swinging it.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes congrats on your new detector, I'm ordering one next week.I did so much research like everyone els and it just seems to make sense only good things to be said for it other then emi, but big woop. I looked at so many they all have cons I even considered the deus which as a fast recovery, but I think the t2 is the best bang for the buck .I got some great sites picked out and can't wait to start swinging it.
I honestly have had hardly any issues with emi! It's prob because most of my sites are pretty remote but it's been great. That chattiness equals sensitivity so it's a good thing! You will be digging deep keepers like you wouldn't believe. Have fun!!!!!!!!

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
around here the relic hunters use two tones.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
around here the relic hunters use two tones.
That's what I use and it's great to hear that grunt for iron so you've got an unmistakable tone for ferrous as opposed to non ferrous

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are great machines I just picked up a f75ltd & besides the fisher have only few more options they are both very very much alike, they are deep make sure u got a good shovel with ya if u got a hand trowel u might just want to retire it lol good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread