dobber97

Mar 10, 2013
ILL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Teknetics T2 LTD,Teknetics Delta 4000, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone, I just want to ask if I am doing something wrong. I have had a Delta 4000 for about two years now and really want to upgrade , but I want to get better at detecting first. I seem to be doing something wrong or is it the detector. I notch out everything below dime. I set sensitivity to 10 , but when I am swinging I get a good hit but 9 times out of 10 its rusty old metal. Can I get some tips or should I just upgrade. Also with the stock coil it seems to ring when I bump like a corn stock or any time of brush. I really think it is me not the detector just wanted to get some tips, thanks

Last edited:

Garbagebill

Nov 1, 2013
San Joaquin valley Ca.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics gamma 6000/Detech 13" Ultimate DD Coil
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Buzz Wilson Bomb Sheath/Lesche digging tool/Black Widow headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a gamma 6000 I set my sensitivity to 99 if it will let me. Normally around here it's at 90. Why do you run your sensitivity that low? Unless the delta has a completely different setup then the gamma. Remember, discrimination down, sensitivity up. That's how I run mine anyway.

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well, there's nothing "wrong" with the detector itself. It's the settings. (By the way, which coil do you swing with ?)

Notching out everything below dime will bring some problems to daylight.

You should notch NOTHING, when and where it's possible, and as long as your patience and your ears can stand it.

First, dimes (clad & silver) in the vicinity of a rejected target (be it iron or aluminum or whatever...), will not give a dime signal. It will give a rather jumpy one, but if zincolns are disced out, you will miss a good amount of dimes. Yes, silver ones too, their mass is feeble, so anything in the vicinity will distort the signal, causing you to miss it.

Then, the rusty iron targets respond because they have some conductive contents, or become conductive due to their shape, it's a well known phenomenon. If you DON'T disc out iron, they wil either register as iron only, or jump between iron grunt and high tone, letting you know youre swinging above some rusty target.

If you want to upgrade later, look then at detectors like the G2 or the Eurotek pro (the latter being a demon in iron -read the manual available on line !). With my ETP, I seldom have rusty bottlecaps/pieces of iron problems. Things go forward. I like detectors with notches, but newer FTP roducts (ETP, G2, Goldbug) offer much better discrimination features.

At last, notching that much results in loss of depth. Significant loss of depth, and certainly with a detector offering preset GB. Next time you dig a rusty targets with your usual notching below dime, notch everything back in, and sweep the target. It should ring as iron, or jump. The better you will become in the hobby, the LESS you will discriminate.

Happy Hunting !

Grumpy

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
most folks that are coin /jewelry hunt --want to notch out iron * -- keep nickles in as " 10 K gold tends to "come in" in the nickel range -- yes you will get some pulltabs as well , since they are of the same basic "electrical conductivity level" as nickles and 10 k gold * --its the cost of hunting gold to have to dig pulltabs -- most pulltabs will hit about 60 --and gold will often be 56-58 (10 k) or 64 /68 (14 k) --it can vary a bit due to depth and other factors.

when you hit things with the coil --it jars the wiring inside the casing --causing a "false beep" -- do not hit things with your coil * and most likely your swing too fast (many folks do and many folks tend to golf club swing as well --SLOW DOWN , SLOW WAY DOWN --shuffle your coil side to side level about 1 or 2 inches off the ground and go very slowwwww...

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dobber97

Mar 10, 2013
ILL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Teknetics T2 LTD,Teknetics Delta 4000, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks fellas for the replies I will take all the advice and try it. This is what I needed know to a tea, I do probably swing to fast the mere excitement gets my blood pumping to much!!! I figured my 4000 was capable and it was me more than the detector. I use the factory concentric coil, but the places I hunt are old farms in either soybean stubble or shelled corn fields. There is a lot of old farm junk, I have found some wheats but never anything in clad or silver. Maybe I should just try a new coil what do ya'll think? Thanks for the great help !!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the coil you have is fine --slow down --it will allow your coil time to get a better "read" of the soil and you will get the deeper fainter signals that are often good targets --4 to 6 to 8 inches often times. deeper tends to be older but not always.

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yes, the concentric coil should react exactly how I described it with NO disc.

Give it a try and see for yourself !

HH

Grumpy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread