delta 4000 pin point feature question

mcockrell

Greenie
Apr 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first let me say that I picked up a delta 4000 at a pawn shop for a little less than $150. I had my eyes set on an ACE250 but i'm very glad I found this one. I thought that I had done lots of research and was convinced the 250 was where I wanted to go.

This thing has been awesome so far. it has taken some time to get used to the different settings and trying to figure out about what an object is, or how big it is, etc. all part of the learning curve I suppose.

I did pull up the manual online and read through it a few times but I have a question about the pinpoint feature. it seems like almost every time I try to pinpoint and object with it, it almost always gives 0. I thought this meant the depth of the object but it seems like more often not once I "dial" into the object by releasing and pressing the PP button a few times, it almost always gives a reading of 0 and whines like crazy.

most of the stuff ive found with it has been at least 2-3" down so im confused on why it keeps giving a 0 reading. or in PP mode is the lower the number the closer you are to the object? I have been using the sound exclusively for that. so I guess my question is: in PP mode is the number you get on the screen the distance from the object in depth, or just the linear distance itself from the object?

thanks in advance

MC

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The number in PP mode is an estimate on how far down the object is. It's not perfect, but none of them are. It's merely an estimate. I bought a little Tek Delta 4000 as a backup/buddy machine to my MX5, and despite spending $219, I didn't think it was going to be that good but I am really, really impressed. Definitely a lot of bang for the buck. Easily enough power for a backup and anyone who wants to hunt with me now can and will have a good chance of finding good stuff.

Only wish it had a manual ground balance, or someone could circuit mod it for manual GB, but then again, it's $219. The next step is $250 more for the Gamma. Quite a lot for one more feature.

I've found the best way to use the Delta is to notch out up to nickel (or turn Discrimination to 55 - don't notch nickels tho!) and move the coil moderately slowly ignoring the farts, grunts and high tones you can't repeat (unless it's very questionable then dig!). Sensitivity seems to be happiest around 8 (factory) to 10.

This little detector is fast and deep.

You didn't miss anything by not getting the Ace 250. I had one. I don't understand why all the love for the Ace 250. I wanted to throw it across the field I was detecting, but that's just me. I don't get Bob Dylan either.

Definitely READ the manual, 'specially if you're new and give it time. Learn what it's telling you.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The number in PP mode is an estimate on how far down the object is. It's not perfect, but none of them are. It's merely an estimate. I bought a little Tek Delta 4000 as a backup/buddy machine to my MX5, and despite spending $219, I didn't think it was going to be that good but I am really, really impressed. Definitely a lot of bang for the buck. Easily enough power for a backup and anyone who wants to hunt with me now can and will have a good chance of finding good stuff.

Only wish it had a manual ground balance, or someone could circuit mod it for manual GB, but then again, it's $219. The next step is $250 more for the Gamma. Quite a lot for one more feature.

I've found the best way to use the Delta is to notch out up to nickel (or turn Discrimination to 55 - don't notch nickels tho!) and move the coil moderately slowly ignoring the farts, grunts and high tones you can't repeat (unless it's very questionable then dig!). Sensitivity seems to be happiest around 8 (factory) to 10.

This little detector is fast and deep.

You didn't miss anything by not getting the Ace 250. I had one. I don't understand why all the love for the Ace 250. I wanted to throw it across the field I was detecting, but that's just me. I don't get Bob Dylan either.

Definitely READ the manual, 'specially if you're new and give it time. Learn what it's telling you.

I concur very good information, i hunt at 10 on sensitivity and DISC out foil at trashy parks. At the beach dry sand i set DISC at default and bring up sensitivity to 11. As Silver stated, this machine is a deep seeker and fast even without ground balance, it air tests at 11" at 11 sensitivity on a quarter. Due to the 4000s fast response many times one can sort trash from coins from the sound alone in the same swing, even when the trash is near the good stuff. In the mild soil here in South FL ground balance is non essential, and folks upstate report very good results with the Delta. The PP depth is just an estimate only listen to sound for locating targets rarely do i look at the depth reading most detectors are this way. Unless you are coin shooting most objects do not take the size and shape of a coin.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread