exahab

Jun 10, 2013
Luldow, MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro Dp
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Took her out for the first weekend and had frustrating results. Found some clad and nothing below 3 inches. What settings are you guys using?

Tell me about your experience with the ground grab/ground balance feature

I know this is a great detector I just need to get past the learning curve.

OP
OP
E

exahab

Jun 10, 2013
Luldow, MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro Dp
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW
read by 60 people and no help

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW
read by 60 people and no help

I dont have an Omega, I have a Gamma.

I looked at the Omega and bought an F70.

How does it do in air tests? It's deeper if it will run all metal.

Lot of Omega 8000 videos on youtube.

If I had an Omega my settings would be different than yours simply based on geography.

Good luck

Last edited:

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey exahab,
I use an Omega; but, like steve1357 mentioned, the settings that I use may not work for you due to differences in the ground you cover, coil you use, etc. I tend to use the small 5" sharpshooter coil on my Omega and have been able to hit coins as deep as 9". If it helps any, I tend to hunt parks/schools/lots in lower NY areas mostly on LI. I usually start of with a sensitivity of 65 or 70 and see how chatty the Omega gets with any EMI in the area. If things are quiet, I will run it a bit hotter, if they are really chatty I will back it down but not lower than 55. I also usually dial up the discrimination to 16 to remove most iron but not all. If I hit upon a really trashy area or if pressed for time, I will notch out iron/foil/and screw top. If you do some searching around you will see plenty of postings regarding the Omega and VDI numbers. I had come across a posting where a group had collaboratively run tests on a large sampling of jewelry and it seemed that most jewelry (medium size to large rings) was ringing up in the 50 to 64 range and most coins in the high 70s+ ranges (with the exception of nickels. Nickels will ring dead on 56/57 with the occasional solid 58). There is definitely the chance of something falling outside of the ranges mentioned like small earrings, small rings, etc. But when a quick hunt is all I have time for I will notch and look for solid signals in those VDI ranges. You will still pull up various garbage but its part of the hunting process.

Do a search on Omega tips or Omega VDI numbers and you will see a bunch of info that should help you out. Best of luck and happy hunting!

OP
OP
E

exahab

Jun 10, 2013
Luldow, MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro Dp
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Guys
I appreciate the help

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No problem exahab. If it helps any, here is some more VDI info that I came across on last weekend's run at a local Middle School:

Ground conditions: Mostly low/cut grass on flat terrain with moist dirt (not muddy, just moist). With a short hill overlooking track/baseball field (found a bunch of clad on the hill, most likely from people sitting watching games)

Coil: 5" Teknetics SharpShooter

Settings: 70 sensitivity, Discrimination dialed up to 16 to eliminate big iron, D3 on tones (just my preference), Frequency 1

VDI Findings:

56-58
Clad Nickel spot on each and every time. If its solid its 99.9% a nickel. Had a few that deviated down to 54 when doing a walk around the target and those ended up being foil.

78-81
Zincolns. If I'm in an area that is not turning up old trash or older type finds, I avoid digging these numbers; but, if I'm in an older area or an area with history definitely dig them because I have popped up (2) Indian heads in this range before. Otherwise, very good chance of it being a Zincoln.

82-83
Copper Lincolns. So far each time I get a solid 82 or 83, it has been a Copper Lincoln and possibly a Wheatie. Didn't hit any Wheaties this past weekend; but, when I have they are usually 82s or 83s solid. I would also have the occasionally jump up to 84.

84-86
Dimes and varying other items. Anytime I get an 85/85/86 its a definite dig. I usually pull up clad dimes; but, have in the past pulled up my silver mercury finds and silver rosies in the 84/85 range. About a month ago I popped up a nice little silver ring which was showing a solid 86. I do also get the occasional copper penny jump up into the dime range; but, its a jump and if you do a circle sweep around the target you will see that it mostly stays by the 82/83 range.

90-92+
Quarters. Had a great hunt in terms of quarters. Managed to pop up 54 quarters to my surprise (was a 4 hour hunt). It was pretty much take a few steps and bang...solid 90/91/92 and another quarter. Did have some higher 90s show up and found that either I was retrieving can slaw or a pocket spill. I reached the conclusion of automatically digging solid hits from the range of 82+ because even though I find my share of can slaw, etc in the end the percentages are in my favor of pulling up clad or possibly silver.

Hope that helps..post up your findings with configuration :)

Below are two wheats, two silver rosies and a merc that I found with the Omega about a month back. Wheats were solid 82/83 and rosies/merc were solid 84/85

IMG_20140118_135544_694.jpg

Cal G.

Mar 19, 2003
Id numbers are almost Identical to my Gamma. Should be getting a omega in this week. By the way, I use a NELS coil sharpshooter on my Gamma. Thanks for the info TwoYewts HH Cal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread