dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deeper signals will jump around but still sound good. Sometimes they sound good and show no id number so if it is a small sharp target dig it up.

OP
OP
T

tabhole

Greenie
May 7, 2014
East TN
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2, Tesoro Silver u-Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which tone setting do you find the best for coin hunting? I have been using the 4 tone setting.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt pretty trashy sites and it seems to do better as in faster response with less tones. Super trashy 2+ otherwise I use 3. That is just my opinion you may end up liking something different.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer 2+ 98% of the time. I've had some deep LCs and kg half pennies at pretty good depth. Usually they will come up between 86-88. A 2 reales at about 6" came up a stable 88. I've also dug big old coppers that wouldn't give a number but sounded great. After removing some dirt a solid 86 came up and revealed an LC, this was at 12" or more. Most indian head pennies have been 79 for me. If you're in the trash they will jump around a lot. But if you can get that solid high pitch noise in there go ahead and dig it up.

OP
OP
T

tabhole

Greenie
May 7, 2014
East TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I dug an old silver ring the other day. It was around 7" deep and bounced around between 78 and 83. Also dug a 1919 wheatie yesterday that hit a solid 82. Really enjoying the T2. The more I use it the more impressed I am.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I dug an old silver ring the other day. It was around 7" deep and bounced around between 78 and 83. Also dug a 1919 wheatie yesterday that hit a solid 82. Really enjoying the T2. The more I use it the more impressed I am.

You're missing your best targets imho if you're not running all metal. Try some tests and see how much depth you're giving up running discrimination....
HH

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tabhole

Greenie
May 7, 2014
East TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I will try that on some spots that I went over in discriminate mode.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I will try that on some spots that I went over in discriminate mode.

On detectors I have, the vdi still works in all metal so you can still ignore the shallow targets, you just don't get multitone.

But I get almost 50% increase in depth. This is how you hear about the 12 and 14" finds which would be missed running discrimination.

Let me know thanks.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On detectors I have, the vdi still works in all metal so you can still ignore the shallow targets, you just don't get multitone. But I get almost 50% increase in depth. This is how you hear about the 12 and 14" finds which would be missed running discrimination. Let me know thanks.
I have a test garden and my T2 SE has very very little difference in depth between discrimination and all metal. Maybe an inch at best. I keep my disc down around 8. Little known fact about the T2 SE is that if you crank it up to 50 sens it gets a bit of a sens boost to counteract the depth loss. I know that sounds a bit odd but you can literally hear it in the headphones and it's apparent in the test garden. All metal is nice for places that don't have much trash but can get a bit overwhelming in trash areas or areas with lots of targets. Good for clean and deep fields. We are all comfortable with different settings and tones and our hunting conditions vary. But it's great to get tips on here to try out and see what you like best

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with everything Ahab8 said, I might add one thing...another program to try at cellar hole lips is- disc 21, 1+ tones, sens as high as is quiet. Great for trying to hear through nails. I didn't discover this program, I read it in a magazine, but it works well. Or just throw on the small coil.

But as Ahab8 says, 2+ most of the time, I have my disc slightly higher than he does though at 10. It really breaks up the iron sound. I'm lucky to be able to run sens over 90 at all times, many times 99.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with everything Ahab8 said, I might add one thing...another program to try at cellar hole lips is- disc 21, 1+ tones, sens as high as is quiet. Great for trying to hear through nails. I didn't discover this program, I read it in a magazine, but it works well. Or just throw on the small coil. But as Ahab8 says, 2+ most of the time, I have my disc slightly higher than he does though at 10. It really breaks up the iron sound. I'm lucky to be able to run sens over 90 at all times, many times 99.
Appreciate the tip my friend. Always open to new settings. I think were all guilty of getting a little bit hung up on our personal favorites. Never hurts to try something new.

OP
OP
T

tabhole

Greenie
May 7, 2014
East TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There have been a few gold coins found in my area lately. If I were lucky enough to find one, what reading should I be looking at on my T2?

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There have been a few gold coins found in my area lately. If I were lucky enough to find one, what reading should I be looking at on my T2?

Depends on the denomination, age, soil, etc. Seriously, any reading I give you would probably not be duplicated on your machine.

VDI readings are based on several things in addition to the metal type it thinks it sees.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine brought a 5 dollar gold coin to the field the other day and it gave the same reading as a small brass shell casing. I think it was about 66 to 67.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a test garden and my T2 SE has very very little difference in depth between discrimination and all metal. Maybe an inch at best.

Interesting

Dunno how to explain it, in my test garden I have silver coins buried you'll get solid with all metal and nothing with discriminate mode.

Some detectors, their all metal mode is nothing more than discriminate mode with a setting of zero dialed in. That causes those detectors to show little change in depth between the two modes, the discriminate mode is still running, robbing signal strength from the system....

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting Dunno how to explain it, in my test garden I have silver coins buried you'll get solid with all metal and nothing with discriminate mode. Some detectors, their all metal mode is nothing more than discriminate mode with a setting of zero dialed in. That causes those detectors to show little change in depth between the two modes, the discriminate mode is still running, robbing signal strength from the system....
Well admittedly I only have old coppers buried. I will have to put a few silvers in and check it out. My test garden isn't too impressive so I will expand and get back to ya. Thanks for the info

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok Steve I am officially saying that I was wrong and you were right about all metal getting a fair amount of extra depth. Prob around 3" is what I've observed and thats a ton. I'm going to make it a point to start using am more. I hunt some 1600s and early 1700s sites and that couple inches could pay off BIG! Thanks for the advice buddy

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem, I make mistakes all the time.

On dimes and quarters, 3 more inches is about right.

Odd thing, using a ladies gold ring on my F70, disc mode is 6", all metal jumps to 12".

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem, I make mistakes all the time. On dimes and quarters, 3 more inches is about right. Odd thing, using a ladies gold ring on my F70, disc mode is 6", all metal jumps to 12".
I appreciate the tip bud. There's a few very old sites that I need to revisit. Maybe my first 1600s coin is hiding in that next 3"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread