push in / plug in couplers

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Last edited:

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never have a problem with my alpha or the gamma i just sold,i still have a gamma but its the 2 headphone jack and screw coil conector version..To me the push in seems very solid and firm,you must have a bad one.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Delta 4000 has the screw on connector but one of my BH machines gave me a FIT with the push on connector. Apparently it's a common problem.
I was literally ready to trash it.

Is it turns out, the connector was SLIGHTLY and very unnoticably loose and had a bit of dirt packed around it internally as well. That's all it took to make the machine practically useless.

I loosened it, cleaned it with contact cleaner, blew it all out with compressed air, wiped everything down, repositioned it and snugged it up (with the plug attached) and it was like a new machine.

A TNet member named FixItDave told me to check it out and he was right. I couldn't thank him enough at the time.
It can't hurt to give it a try,

beano52

Mar 21, 2015
STL MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000 Eurotek Pro Tesoro Vaquero Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Delta 4000 has the screw on connector but one of my BH machines gave me a FIT with the push on connector. Apparently it's a common problem.
I was literally ready to trash it.

Is it turns out, the connector was SLIGHTLY and very unnoticably loose and had a bit of dirt packed around it internally as well. That's all it took to make the machine practically useless.

I loosened it, cleaned it with contact cleaner, blew it all out with compressed air, wiped everything down, repositioned it and snugged it up (with the plug attached) and it was like a new machine.

A TNet member named FixItDave told me to check it out and he was right. I couldn't thank him enough at the time.
It can't hurt to give it a try,

If I may ask, how did it react with the "loose" connection?

My Omega is acting eratic, and "freezing" up occasionaly. It will work for awhile and then freeze. Power cycling does nothing to fix but removing the battery sometimes helps for awhile.

Last edited:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I may ask, how did it react with the "loose" connection?

My Omega is acting eratic, and "freezing" up occasionaly. It will work for awhile and then freeze. Power cycling does nothing to fix but removing the battery sometimes helps for awhile.

It was giving me false and inconsistent readings. I would dig a target after getting a solid hit and there would be nothing in the hole or it would be nothing at all like the reading I was getting. For instance, I would get a nice high tone and dig up pop tops. The target identification was almost useless much of the time. It was SO aggravating.

One day I just put it away and went back to my little 30 dollar Tracker IV so I could get reliable readings and actually start digging targets and enjoying myself.

I love metal detecting but when the machine isn't working right it can drive you nuts. That'll definitely take the joy out of the hunt.
Good luck with your machine.

I never had any freezing problems though.

skeeter86

Oct 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iknow that the dirt from changing coils happened to me .I found one site that is totally unhuntable there is a water tower with at least 50 cell telephone links on it or it could be the near by power lines but I've hunted near power lines with out a problem the only other thing at this site my be a bareid feeder line to the water tower aanyway I've tried to find my buddies lost high school class ring and its a pain nothing but chatter no matter how low you set the sensitivity .

azdave

Dec 12, 2014
southern AZ
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had to return my 4000 because of the plug. It's a shame that such a good machine can be given such a cheap feature rendering it completely unreliable.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I would never buy a detector with a push/plugin connector ... I have seen to many with problems with such a bad set up.....That was a bad idea Fisher had why they would even do that i don't know...

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would never buy a detector with a push/plugin connector ... I have seen to many with problems with such a bad set up.....That was a bad idea Fisher had why they would even do that i don't know...

I agree, Keppy. And the new BH Pro line should have been able to use the same coils available for the new Fishers since they operate at the same 7.69 khz as well.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had to return my 4000 because of the plug. It's a shame that such a good machine can be given such a cheap feature rendering it completely unreliable.

You need to get your hands on a newer one with the screw on plug and heavier cable.

azdave

Dec 12, 2014
southern AZ
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You need to get your hands on a newer one with the screw on plug and heavier cable.

It was bought as a back-up over the Xmas break, when I had time off and needed an immediate machine while my primary was waiting on a new coil from Tesoro. The 2000 & 4000 was the only one sold 'somewhat' (30 MILES AWAY) locally in Tucson, except for low end BH'ers....so I grabbed it so I didn't miss a day of detecting.

The problem arose on the second or third outing...when I discovered that the plug was shorting out/bad connection after initial assembly & plugging in...it never was touched until problem arose, so it isn't the "constant" assembly/dis-assembly that made it happen . I played with it on an outing or to more, with the problem getting worse. I returned it, and told the manager about the issue, and asked if all the machines in stock were identical...because I had heard there were changes to to headphone jacks, and was hoping maybe a different coil plug also.
He found a few with different headphone set-ups in stock, but all had the same coil connection.

I got my money back, and drove 150 miles round-trip to Phoenix to get a Silver Umax as a back-up. It makes a good back-up, also.
The original store stills sells the one with crappy connector...they probably have them stacked deep in the back.
I would highly recommend the 4000 with a screw on connection.

Last edited:

Osage

Aug 28, 2006
I have a delta with the push in connector. Is their any thing one can do to switch to screw in ? Is their an adaptor or something?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread