Question for Dave J, regarding the Gamma 6000.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A week ago bought a new Teknetics Gamma 6000 and i noticed that it does not have 2 audio output jacks, instead it only has a single 1/4" jack and a rubber cup to cover the jack. Is this the latest iteration, version of the gamma 6000? I would appreciate the feedback, thank you.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not Dave, but I believe the latest versions do only have the 1/4" jack. :)

OP
OP
SouthFLdigger

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey but otherwise a good machine I prefer over the omega 8000

OP
OP
SouthFLdigger

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey but otherwise a good machine I prefer over the omega 8000

I like it better than my G2 ! Yes, its a sweet machine deep as heck too that 6000 !

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you need to give the g-2 a chance from a relic hunters stand point very good in working in the iron actually better than the gamma 6000

OP
OP
SouthFLdigger

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you need to give the g-2 a chance from a relic hunters stand point very good in working in the iron actually better than the gamma 6000

The G2 certainly is better at picking through the Iron, i tested this with the Monte nail test compared to the Gamma. However that 11DD coil on the G2 is a lousy discriminator of bottlecaps and medium to large iron. The Gamma using the concentric coil is a better discriminator and 2" deeper. The G2 i keep though due to its ability to uncover masked objects and it air tests at 13" on a nickel with a very low repeatable whisper which is fine for me, South Florida limestone rock infested soil is a pain to dig deep.

roceda

Nov 12, 2007
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you, or anyone else know when they started marketing the Gamma with only the 1/4" headphone jack? Thanks, Ron.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That change appeared as a running change sometime in the last few months.

roceda

Nov 12, 2007
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That change appeared as a running change sometime in the last few months.
Thanks. I just bought a used one from a forum sponsor and he did not know the age of the detector. I should have asked if it had one or two headphone jacks. I think I may have made a bad deal. Still that doesn't help me narrowing down the age of the unit. I hope I didn't get one that is four or five years old.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks. I just bought a used one from a forum sponsor and he did not know the age of the detector. I should have asked if it had one or two headphone jacks. I think I may have made a bad deal. Still that doesn't help me narrowing down the age of the unit. I hope I didn't get one that is four or five years old.

Roceda, you bought a used one from a forum sponsor already knowing that its age was unknown and without knowing how many headphone jacks it had. I have no "inside dope" on your specific deal, but by your own account you got what you wanted and therefore have no grounds for complaining.

The Gamma is hardly changed since its introduction. It worked then and still works now. Performance-wise it's just about the same thing as the Omega, the difference is primarily the front panel user interface.

Metal detectors don't go obsolete in a year like cellphones do. Technology matters, but good designs matter more than newest technology. There are metal detectors that were made 20 and more years ago that are still in demand, in some cases even still in production.

roceda

Nov 12, 2007
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Roceda, you bought a used one from a forum sponsor already knowing that its age was unknown and without knowing how many headphone jacks it had. I have no "inside dope" on your specific deal, but by your own account you got what you wanted and therefore have no grounds for complaining.

Wasn't complaining Woof. I just wanted to know how old of a machine it is. Duh. I think the dealer should have been knowledgeable enough to at least tell me of the latest model feature since he could not offer me any help on the question I asked about the age of the one he had advertised on the classifieds.

OP
OP
SouthFLdigger

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No matter which version you have they all perform awesome, like it better than the Omega and G2. No rotary buttons to fail, easier operation just as deep.

OP
OP
SouthFLdigger

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Gamma is hardly changed since its introduction. It worked then and still works now. Performance-wise it's just about the same thing as the Omega, the difference is primarily the front panel user interface.

Metal detectors don't go obsolete in a year like cellphones do. Technology matters, but good designs matter more than newest technology. There are metal detectors that were made 20 and more years ago that are still in demand, in some cases even still in production.

Hello Dave, you say "just about the same" is there a difference in processor speed and DSP on these two machines. Obviously the Omega uses varistors and the Gamma push buttons but I always wondered if the non interface hardware is the same.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
The circuit & software stuff that has to do with performance (speed, depth, algorithms for doing target ID, etc.) is essentially the same. As I recall there are a few differences in how "features" work. User interface obviously different, and also as I recall they come stock with different searchcoils. ......Been a long time since I used a Gamma but I occasionally take an Omega along as a "reference" when doing field testing.

OP
OP
SouthFLdigger

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The circuit & software stuff that has to do with performance (speed, depth, algorithms for doing target ID, etc.) is essentially the same. As I recall there are a few differences in how "features" work. User interface obviously different, and also as I recall they come stock with different searchcoils. ......Been a long time since I used a Gamma but I occasionally take an Omega along as a "reference" when doing field testing.

Hi Dave, i like the Gamma quite a bit with that 8" coil. It is fast and deep, a very competent detector. Dave please design a multi-frequency machine that works in salt and dry with good depth, speed in the same size package and power requirements. Give it a backlight interchangeable coils make it water resistant or proof, and you'll have a "perfect" machine :notworthy:. Thank you for your response wish you well.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread