relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi cowboy75, welcome to tnet. I have an Omega, and I love mine also. I personally don't favor that upgrade. Yes, you might gain a little depth, and will definetely
have greater ground coverage, but you will miss the ease of pin-pointing you have with the elliptical coil. I upgraded to the 11"DD for my BH Platinum and I wasn;t
all that happy with it. I did buy the 5x10 elliptical DD (solid) coil for my Omega and I do like it a lot. Still super easy to pin-point, better coverage, stable, much better in mineralized soil, a bit more depth, and it's waterproof,too. Hope this is helpful.The Omega is awesome!

OP
OP
C

cowboy75

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi relicmeister. Thanks for your response. I really want to get maximum depth without adding complication or sacrificing anything else. Looks like I may have to look at the 5x10 dd. I also have the T2 SE. I have only been detecting a couple of years and only have experience with teknetics. Very happy with my choices and wouldn't trade them for anything. Thanks again and HH :)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's the problem. "Maximum depth" on what and where?

A 10" coil may pick up a dime as deep as a 15" coil and be less apt to give you a bum signal from all the other trash underneath. Bigger coils are better on bigger objects, Smaller coils are better at smaller objects and in trashy sights just because there is less garbage in the coil's field. And, surprisingly, an 8" or even 6" coil will detect a coin as deep as a 12" coil - but you have to be directly over it. DD coils are focused along the axis of the coil and may find a deeper coin or see between trash to lower treasures; but they tend to up-average larger iron or round steel objects (bottle caps).

If bigger was always deeper we'd all be using 24" coils. I do better on coins with a Sharpshooter/smaller coil. Cache hunters will disagree; but caches are big & deeper targets.

OP
OP
C

cowboy75

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good point Charlie I appreciate your response. Me and my son are mostly coin shooters. We hunt parks,fields, woods and some old homesteads mostly. I guess my question is if there are any omega users out there with experience with different coils, which coil do they prefer for coin shooting and why? Thanks again Charlie for your reply.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cowboy
The 10" concentric coil was my go to coil in most places...that Omega has the good raw power to punch deep into any soil.
The Concentric coil will suffer less EMI that the DD coils. and IDs large iron pieces better.
The Concentric makes you slow down and overlap your swings,not a race after all...and that sweet spot in the center of the 10" concentric coil is as deep as the 11"DD coil
You guys got the best one..two punch with the T2 and the Omega not much can hide from guys (metal wise) HH.
Gary

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just like Charlie P. I seem to do very well with the Sharpshooter coil on my Omega. I don't get to cover as much ground as my hunting partner does with larger coil; but, my retrieval time is typically quicker since the sharpshooter is dead on and at the end of the day my totals tend to be more. We tend to hunt the same areas that you hunt Cowboy, for school grounds I typically stick to my sharpshooter so that I can get in real close to playground equipment/benches whereas for open parks I'll throw on the 10" concentric (I have it ready to go on another shaft in the trunk) so that I can cover a bit more ground. Between the two I tend to get up to 6" for the sharpshooter and up to 9" or so on the 10" concentric.

I had tried the 11" elliptical on my Omega and felt a little frustrated with it until I got the knack for pinpointing with it (use the little circle indentation just above where the shaft connects...see this post for reference:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...-schooling-et-pro-11-dd-coil.html#post4008743). I also find that I didn't get much deeper than I do with the 10" coil. So I gave up using the 11"

Hope that rambling helps :)

Best of luck and Happy Hunting!

-TwoYewts

OP
OP
C

cowboy75

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info and advice everyone. Seems like I am good to go for now. If anything I may look into getting a sharp shooter coil!
HH all!

Man o' War

Mar 15, 2014
N.E. Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000
Primary Interest:
Other
Buying a 5" for my Omega was a like a dream come true. Finding stuff at some of the places I'd wrote off because of trash.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions