For the same price? ET Pro or 4000D?

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4000d with pinpointer and headphones on sale this week locally for $259 Canadian ($100 off!). Same as regular price for ETPro with no extras. Both 8" concentric.
Given they're the same price....any opinions? Is the 11" coil so much better that I should spend extra ? (Really can't. Will only use once in a blue moon.)
I'd like to decide while the sale is still on. Is the iron discrimination better on the ETPro?

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4000d with pinpointer and headphones on sale this week locally for $259 Canadian ($100 off!). Same as regular price for ETPro with no extras. Both 8" concentric.
Given they're the same price....any opinions? Is the 11" coil so much better that I should spend extra ? (Really can't. Will only use once in a blue moon.)
I'd like to decide while the sale is still on. Is the iron discrimination better on the ETPro?

Since the ETP was designed for iron infested conditions in Europe, I would think it would be the better of the 2 in iron. The adjustable iron volume would also be a benefit. I would pick the ETP for these reasons.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eurotek Pro is a great machine. The 8" concentric is fine unless you are in really heavy iron trash or highly mineralized soil, then a DD could be better and it is slightly deeper seeking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dogteam

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks very much, guys!
I'd kind of decided on the Eurotek Pro when I stumbled across the 4000D with all the extras, and on sale. I like to buy local if I can, but the selection locally is pretty limited. Reviews very positive on both units (for the price), more for the 4000, probably just because it's been around longer. That adjustable iron volume feature sounds useful, but haven't really seen any feedback on it from the field? A pinpointer would be nice, but probably don't need headphones. ??? Have to ponder on it a little more...

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks very much, guys!
I'd kind of decided on the Eurotek Pro when I stumbled across the 4000D with all the extras, and on sale. I like to buy local if I can, but the selection locally is pretty limited. Reviews very positive on both units (for the price), more for the 4000, probably just because it's been around longer. That adjustable iron volume feature sounds useful, but haven't really seen any feedback on it from the field? A pinpointer would be nice, but probably don't need headphones. ??? Have to ponder on it a little more...

Fletch actually owned an ETP, so he knows how well they work. Headphones are a huge help, as is a pinpointer. You can get some cheap ear buds that will be better than just using the speaker, or some Treasure Wise headphones that are not too bad, for about $25 (on ebay). I went with the cheap centech pinpointer from harbor freight for $16.99. I got 2 in case one breaks. They seem to work great for me. Much better than the Fisher/Tek/BH one.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would probably get a pinpointer first over anything else. The gardening tools from Lowes or wherever will work for target retrieval.

OP
OP
dogteam

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fletch actually owned an ETP, so he knows how well they work. Headphones are a huge help, as is a pinpointer. You can get some cheap ear buds that will be better than just using the speaker, or some Treasure Wise headphones that are not too bad, for about $25 (on ebay). I went with the cheap centech pinpointer from harbor freight for $16.99. I got 2 in case one breaks. They seem to work great for me. Much better than the Fisher/Tek/BH one.

Yep, if I go for the Eurotech...the wife is going to be in Montana in a couple of weeks, so I was going to ask her to stop into HF for me. Maybe that's the way to go. Interesting to hear it's better than the Tek one.

OP
OP
dogteam

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would probably get a pinpointer first over anything else. The gardening tools from Lowes or wherever will work for target retrieval.

Thanks Fletch. Yes, the pinpointer seems to be a highly recommended piece of kit. That's why I was looking at the 4000D + extras. But it looks like the ETPro might be the way to go.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, if I go for the Eurotech...the wife is going to be in Montana in a couple of weeks, so I was going to ask her to stop into HF for me. Maybe that's the way to go. Interesting to hear it's better than the Tek one.

Yes, the free one you get with First Texas detectors is good for 1/2" or so. The HF one I get an easy inch. You may have to take the 4 screws out (NOT the center one) of the back and pull the back off to adjust sensitivity with the screw on the blue plastic sensitivity trimmer. One of mine was set too high at the factory & would beep with no metal present. Easy fix.

OP
OP
dogteam

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the free one you get with First Texas detectors is good for 1/2" or so. The HF one I get an easy inch. You may have to take the 4 screws out (NOT the center one) of the back and pull the back off to adjust sensitivity with the screw on the blue plastic sensitivity trimmer. One of mine was set too high at the factory & would beep with no metal present. Easy fix.

I've seen people put a better push switch on them as well?

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Is the Bounty Hunter Land Ranger PRO available from your local dealer? It comes with 11" DD. MSRP a too high $449, but they allow dealers to discount as much as they want (under $289 US), which causes many dealers to refuse to carry them. Otherwise, the Teknetics Eurotek Pro is a great value. BH Land ranger PRO is a 2014 model. Eurotek PRO is a 2013 design. Teknetics Delta 4000 is an older design, so it may not include latest ideas & software. A pretty good detector but not an oh wow type thing. The BH Land Ranger PRO not like old Land Ranger at all, much better & much cheaper, coins to 10" with better ID at depth & a great many new features. For full description, see detecting.com/ Best wishes, George (MN)

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen people put a better push switch on them as well?

I picked up a switch from Radio Shack for one of mine. On the other I plan to put an on/off switch instead of the momentary switch it normally uses.

motel6.5

Mar 27, 2012
Nevada,Calif.,Utah,Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Eurotech without the pinpointer. I dont even bother with a pinpointer. I use the coil to pinpoint,guage where the signal is the most strongest and dig there. Been finding my targets fast. For the $159.00 I paid for it ,the machine performs well in Sensitivty and Discrimination modes. I mostly search desert terrain.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Eurotech without the pinpointer. I dont even bother with a pinpointer. I use the coil to pinpoint,guage where the signal is the most strongest and dig there. Been finding my targets fast. For the $159.00 I paid for it ,the machine performs well in Sensitivty and Discrimination modes. I mostly search desert terrain.

You can detect without one, but once you use a pinpointer, recovery time is soooo much quicker you won't want to be without one. It's now a necessity for me, unless I'm nugget hunting.

OP
OP
dogteam

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the Bounty Hunter Land Ranger PRO available from your local dealer? It comes with 11" DD. MSRP a too high $449, but they allow dealers to discount as much as they want (under $289 US), which causes many dealers to refuse to carry them. Otherwise, the Teknetics Eurotek Pro is a great value. BH Land ranger PRO is a 2014 model. Eurotek PRO is a 2013 design. Teknetics Delta 4000 is an older design, so it may not include latest ideas & software. A pretty good detector but not an oh wow type thing. The BH Land Ranger PRO not like old Land Ranger at all, much better & much cheaper, coins to 10" with better ID at depth & a great many new features. For full description, see detecting.com/ Best wishes, George (MN)

George,
I heard the LRPro was a good machine, and the local Cabelas carries it...but it's 499 Canadian. I know that's only about 390US, but still more than I wanted to pay. I've had a detector since I was in high school (a very VERY long time ago), and only used it half a dozen times. Though I'm anxious to give the sport another go, I don't want to spend money I can ill afford on something that stands in the corner. That's why advice from yourself and the other good people on this site is priceless, and I'm very grateful for your time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions