Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been thinking about picking up the Nel Sharpshooter coil for my Delta 4000. The price is reasonable ($115.00) and from what I have read, it should improve overall performance. I've been thinking about another upgrade but I'm also thinking that a different coil may be all the upgrade I need at this point.

I've never used a DD coil before; just the 8" concentric.
So, has anyone tried this setup before and if so, do you recommend it?? Would this be a good investment/upgrade or should I just stick with the one I have??

Thanks in advance.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Sharpshooter is a good coil to have even with the stock 8". It's going to separate targets better (less chance to mask), it seems to work better rejecting any EMI and it sweeps with a wider field over the concentric. It may not get better depth, unless you are in a higher mineralized soil area. It does require a little more thought to pinpoint with, but once you get used to it, you'll probably not go back to the stock coil. NELs are really made well and hold their value.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Sharpshooter is a good coil to have even with the stock 8". It's going to separate targets better (less chance to mask), it seems to work better rejecting any EMI and it sweeps with a wider field over the concentric. It may not get better depth, unless you are in a higher mineralized soil area. It does require a little more thought to pinpoint with, but once you get used to it, you'll probably not go back to the stock coil. NELs are really made well and hold their value.

Yes.
I've read lots of good things about them.

My Delta is an awesome machine. But, if I can upgrade it it a bit for just a little over 100 bucks it may be worth doing rather than shelling out several hundreds of dollars for an upgrade at this point.

I'll give this some serious thought.
Thanks for the input.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'm not to concerned about pinpointing. The pinpoint feature on my machine is spot on. It's truly idiot proof.

It's just a matter of figuring out where it hits on the coil itself. That shouldn't take more than a minute or two.

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been thinking about picking up the Nel Sharpshooter coil for my Delta 4000. The price is reasonable ($115.00) and from what I have read, it should improve overall performance. I've been thinking about another upgrade but I'm also thinking that a different coil may be all the upgrade I need at this point.

I've never used a DD coil before; just the 8" concentric.
So, has anyone tried this setup before and if so, do you recommend it?? Would this be a good investment/upgrade or should I just stick with the one I have??

Thanks in advance.

I recently got the Sharpshooter for my Omega. LOVE this combo! The NEL has great separation, depth & pinpoints soooo easily. It's also lightweight & very well made. If you look at the cross bar that runs left to right in center of coil, the coil will resemble crosshairs like a rifle scope. The target will pinpoint in the center of the crosshairs. Basically zero learning curve, as it pinpoints just as a concentric coil does

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently got the Sharpshooter for my Omega. LOVE this combo! The NEL has great separation, depth & pinpoints soooo easily. It's also lightweight & very well made. If you look at the cross bar that runs left to right in center of coil, the coil will resemble crosshairs like a rifle scope. The target will pinpoint in the center of the crosshairs. Basically zero learning curve, as it pinpoints just as a concentric coil does

Thanks, that's really good to know.

I really want to get that coil soon. I'm dying to try out a DD coil anyway.
As good as my Delta is already I do believe that upgrading to the Nel SS will only make it even better. The price for mine is only 115 bucks and imo, that's one fantastic price. The 11" DD from Teknetics is around 170.00 as I recall.

As for the pinpointing, as stated above, the Tek pinpointing setup is spot on and so simple and so accurate a child could figure it out in no time. I'm assuming the PP on your Omega works just as good as mine does. I can barely remember what it's like to "X" a target anymore.

As soon as I scrounge up a little extra cash I'm gonna get one. It's too bad it won't be interchangeable with my BH machines. I would love to try a bigger coil on any of those just to satisfy my curiosity but they're just not worth the investment. One coil would cost more than what I paid for two of my detectors combined.

Thanks again for the input. You're saying exactly what I wanna' hear.

HH

Last edited:

Dirtslinger

Apr 6, 2013
Western Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000 w/NEL SS, Nokta Impact, Garrett Treasure Ace 300, Minelab Equinox 800, White's Coinmaster 4/DB
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got out today with my new sharpshooter on my gamma. It found a quarter and a zincoln in 2.5 hours of working it. I did see a dramatic improvement on screwcap cleaning for our park ranger. I dug 24 solid, round signals that locked on at 78-83. I mean locked on, if it said 82, I could do a circle dance all the way around that bugger and maybe get 1 point of vid bounce on all of them. I'm going to leave it on and learn it better, but my goodness, when I was warned they gobble up screwcaps, I never dreamed they did it this well...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got out today with my new sharpshooter on my gamma. It found a quarter and a zincoln in 2.5 hours of working it. I did see a dramatic improvement on screwcap cleaning for our park ranger. I dug 24 solid, round signals that locked on at 78-83. I mean locked on, if it said 82, I could do a circle dance all the way around that bugger and maybe get 1 point of vid bounce on all of them. I'm going to leave it on and learn it better, but my goodness, when I was warned they gobble up screwcaps, I never dreamed they did it this well...

Thanks for the warning.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The conductivity (and size) of screw caps is so close to dimes/quarters that no detector is immune from the source signal thinking they are both one and the same. It's the bane of the hobby. If there were more quarters/zincolns there, you probably would have found them. Pull Tabs and nickles act the same way. The LRP can see nickels at 34-35 while tabs are 36-37. But it doesn't mean that by certain parameters (angle, soil, depth, etc.) that those numbers reverse occasionally. That's why there are so many "beep and dig" hunters. Numbers can lie.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The conductivity (and size) of screw caps is so close to dimes/quarters that no detector is immune from the source signal thinking they are both one and the same. It's the bane of the hobby. If there were more quarters/zincolns there, you probably would have found them. Pull Tabs and nickles act the same way. The LRP can see nickels at 34-35 while tabs are 36-37. But it doesn't mean that by certain parameters (angle, soil, depth, etc.) that those numbers reverse occasionally. That's why there are so many "beep and dig" hunters. Numbers can lie.

So true! Most DD coils over 6" will hit hard on bottle caps in my experience. My X-Terra would ID them as quarters, my Omega tends to ID them better, but still will hit like a dime or quarter at times. You can try to quicly wiggle coil as you pull the coil toward you after pinpointing exact center of target. On many machines using the wiggle technique (Tesoro shake), a screwcap will drop into iron tones/numbers or the tone may break up a bit to give you a clue.

Dirtslinger

Apr 6, 2013
Western Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000 w/NEL SS, Nokta Impact, Garrett Treasure Ace 300, Minelab Equinox 800, White's Coinmaster 4/DB
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The funny thing is, I took right to pinpointing the DD, and that was the part I figured I'd adjust to the slowest. I have remarkably dropped off the tab-coin ratio, but I can't see me walking away from any numbers like that coil has shifted to the screwcaps now. I'll take those problems. I'd rather dig the caps than the tabs. Those aluminum buggers are considerably more plentiful in my neck of the woods. Get rid of one problem, earn another. Ill be sure to try the wiggle over some of them slamming signals, but I'm sure I will still dig them for a long time to come.

Dirtslinger

Apr 6, 2013
Western Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer the question of "would you recommend it?", yes I would. Very highly I might add. I did manage to put some coins under the coil, and it was in the same old places I pound on a very regular basis. All with perfect audio and number signals at 5.5 inches in some serious trash. Slaw, nails, fish hooks, and some roofing nails. The pinpointed kept buzzing, and the gamma told me to give up, but after the first hook, I just cleaned the hole up. Might have saved my own foot I suppose. I'd say definitely try one out. I am impressed with it.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer the question of "would you recommend it?", yes I would. Very highly I might add. I did manage to put some coins under the coil, and it was in the same old places I pound on a very regular basis. All with perfect audio and number signals at 5.5 inches in some serious trash. Slaw, nails, fish hooks, and some roofing nails. The pinpointed kept buzzing, and the gamma told me to give up, but after the first hook, I just cleaned the hole up. Might have saved my own foot I suppose. I'd say definitely try one out. I am impressed with it.

I agree totally I would definitely take the advantages of the NEL Sharpshooter over the minor disadvantages.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread