Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way too much fanaticism concerning depth :laughing7:.
Again, good advice.

I bet you're an interesting fellow :notworthy:.

lol...thanks Osage.

I just look at things a little differently, and not a crowd follower. A detector for $200 to $500 will find 95% of what's buried. Even a detector that detects 12" is going to miss 14" coins. And who wants to dig 12" holes all the time? It's the same junk to treasure ratio and even the $2500 detectors find junk. If you have the money............that's another story. There are too many sub $500 machines that do a great job.

But there are those that want the fastest car (over the other guy). And like a car, it may not be the fastest(or in MDing, the deepest), but it will get you there just the same.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol...thanks Osage.

I just look at things a little differently, and not a crowd follower. A detector for $200 to $500 will find 95% of what's buried. Even a detector that detects 12" is going to miss 14" coins. And who wants to dig 12" holes all the time? It's the same junk to treasure ratio and even the $2500 detectors find junk. If you have the money............that's another story. There are too many sub $500 machines that do a great job.

But there are those that want the fastest car (over the other guy). And like a car, it may not be the fastest(or in MDing, the deepest), but it will get you there just the same.

I feel the same way, after I realized how many coins I found with my $200 F2 that I missed with my $446 & $550 machines.
I am finding deeper & more coins in general now that I am using the Omega in those same sites. Even so, I traded another detector (that I bought used for $360) for the Omega, so I try to get the most detector I can, for my $400 (at the time) price point. I don't feel any need to "upgrade" at this point. Although, I will get an F44 eventually just cause it sounds so darn good for the $. So far I have swung 4 different brands (have yet to try a Garrett) in the last 5 years & I prefer FTP.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel the same way, after I realized how many coins I found with my $200 F2 that I missed with my $446 & $550 machines.
I am finding deeper & more coins in general now that I am using the Omega in those same sites. Even so, I traded another detector (that I bought used for $360) for the Omega, so I try to get the most detector I can, for my $400 (at the time) price point. I don't feel any need to "upgrade" at this point. Although, I will get an F44 eventually just cause it sounds so darn good for the $. So far I have swung 4 different brands (have yet to try a Garrett) in the last 5 years & I prefer FTP.

I read a review on another forum on the F44. First thoughts was that it air tested a dime at 9" in disc, 10" in AM. But in his soil with ground grab, he could pick up his 7" dime in his test garden, but not the 8" or 9" dime he had buried. I'm sure soil makes a difference. My point is......I get those readings with my LRP, and the Delta can get those readings as well. The grass isn't always greener....but if you got the money, it's fun to check it out. I don't see Garrett424s, Osages or my detectors becoming obsolete any time soon.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read a review on another forum on the F44. First thoughts was that it air tested a dime at 9" in disc, 10" in AM. But in his soil with ground grab, he could pick up his 7" dime in his test garden, but not the 8" or 9" dime he had buried. I'm sure soil makes a difference. My point is......I get those readings with my LRP, and the Delta can get those readings as well. The grass isn't always greener....but if you got the money, it's fun to check it out. I don't see Garrett424s, Osages or my detectors becoming obsolete any time soon.

I am in no hurry, as i believe the current greek series are too good to dismiss regardless of new models appearing. I read that the Omega 8500 is in the testing stage now, I do not see how it could get much better at the same price point as the current model, other than some iron audio, backlight & weatherproofing. I do not hunt in rain, I do not hunt in the dark, so these features are a moot point for me. I always have 2 detectors, so I sold my F2 to eventually get the F44. The Omega works so well for me, I will take my time, learn it well & decide if I want to try an F44 later.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the the new Fishers offer a better experience in the way of worry free mindset in regards to rain,dust and perhaps slightly better ergonomics as compared to the Greek series detectors. However performance wise the Greek series units will be mostly comparable in both depth and recovery speed. I'm not getting rid of my Gamma or Delta any time soon (keepers). The Gamma and Delta serve the purpose of park machines quite well and i don't need the rain proof aspect that much as my car is always near. However if i were to hunt wide open fields well away from a vehicle and needed the performance of a Greek series machine the F44 would be my go to detector. My Gamma with the tiny 8" coil air tests at 11-12" on a quarter and in ground performance is exactly equal due to the very low mineral content in South FL soil, these are amazing machines.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not a crowd folower

Amen to that brother.

I'm known as a pretty extreme non conformist and I'm damn proud of it. The older I get the worse (or better) it gets.

Besides, I refuse to align myself with any group that would have me as a member. ;)

Last edited:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't see Garrett424s, Osages or my detectors becoming obsolete any time soon.

Can I get another "Amen to that brother" ??

Seriously, I haven't even touched any of my BH machines yet this year. Although they're good machines the Delta is doing what I need it to do so far.

My ONE and ONLY complaint about the BH's has always been the lack of depth. They're great for shallower targets and I have found gold, silver, jewelry and very old coins with all of them.

My Rat Shack Land Star clone is definitely the best out my BH's. It hits pretty deep, especially in AM mode but after going over most of my spots with the Delta after having hunted them with the BH's, there was just no comparison.

Otoh, I have a hunt planned in about 3 weeks where I'm taking a lady friend's two young kids. The little one is only 7 and the Tracker IV is PERFECT for her. The older boy is 12 and he'll be using the Land Star clone.

I haven't touched the 202 since I got the LS clone. I'm converting it (the 202) to a submersible unit VERY soon. If it gets fried (not that I'll let it) that's the one I would miss the least. It's a great machine for what it is but I've definitely outgrown it.

But at the end of the day all of those BH units found treasure and taught me SO much. I'll always respect them. They were the PERFECT starter units for me because I knew basically nothing (although I thought I did).

But, once I started swinging the Delta; forget about it. The performance of that machine still surprises me at times. When I dig a miniscule nail, pull tab pieces or tiny piece of foil at 7-8 inches, I'm more than impressed.

I dug my 1807 Draped Bust LC at over 9 inches a few weeks ago. The signal was loud and clear. Granted it's a larger copper coin but for a machine I bought used at not much over half price, I'm absolutely tickled. When I eventually upgrade again I'm sticking with the Tek brand, either the Omega or the T2 SE if a good deal presents itself. I've heard wonderful things about both of them.

But, I'll NEVER let that Delta go. I feel like I'm playing with the big boys since I got it and the targets I've been digging have me even more convinced. They hit a home run with that one, there's no doubt.

If a good deal should come my way on one of the new BH units I would gladly get one as well. They've come a long way from the old muffler on a stick days and I'm very glad they did. I can't recall hearing anything negative about them at all (from anyone who has actually USED one).

And it's absolutely true, you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get a very well performing, DEEP hitting machine anymore. I figured this time would come and I have to say I'm extremely happy that it has.

I know you guys aren't too worried about depth but for my hunting style I needed more depth than I was getting. I don't particularly enjoy digging 10-12" holes all day either but once in a while you do find some nice deep targets. Coins do sink over time and imo, an inch CAN make be the difference between digging that old LC at 9 inches or passing over it, thus leaving it for someone else to find. I feel that I work too hard to knowingly allow that if I don't have to.

Had the BH's had the depth I was looking for I would still be swinging them. I just really hate that feeling of knowing I'm missing targets that are right under my feet. I'm sure I still am at times but not nearly as much as I once did.

Last edited:

Dirtslinger

Apr 6, 2013
Western Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000 w/NEL SS, Nokta Impact, Garrett Treasure Ace 300, Minelab Equinox 800, White's Coinmaster 4/DB
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FTP knew exactly what they were doing when they made the Greek series. I had a salesman talk me out of a more expensive brand for my first detector, I am very thankful he did. I bought a delta, read a lot, practiced a lot, learned very much from it and I wanted a ground balance machine, so got a gamma. It speaks the same language, has options to change tones and it eased me into a confidence zone I thought would take many years to get me where I am. I'm not an expert, but I did quickly start raising expectations and keep on getting better. I have to thank this forum for all the knowledge it has and for it's members being willing to share that information. That makes me want to give back as much as I gained from it. That's my way of thanking everyone for their help.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FTP knew exactly what they were doing when they made the Greek series. I had a salesman talk me out of a more expensive brand for my first detector, I am very thankful he did. I bought a delta, read a lot, practiced a lot, learned very much from it and I wanted a ground balance machine, so got a gamma. It speaks the same language, has options to change tones and it eased me into a confidence zone I thought would take many years to get me where I am. I'm not an expert, but I did quickly start raising expectations and keep on getting better. I have to thank this forum for all the knowledge it has and for it's members being willing to share that information. That makes me want to give back as much as I gained from it. That's my way of thanking everyone for their help.

I agree with you completely.

And you're right. This site is a treasure (no pun intended) and an absolutely fantastic resource.
I've learned so much here; things that would have taken years by trial and error.

For that I am grateful to T'Net and everyone here who has helped and encouraged me; not to mention putting up with my idiotic questions when I was getting started.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread