driftless

Sep 21, 2015
SE MN
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, F 70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Delta 4000 for 7 months, i'm so hooked

I'm still a newbie with this recent hobby/addiction but like most of you I can't get enough. I had never touched a md before I bought my Delta. I'm very happy with that choice. I've spent a couple hundred hrs with it and always have a great time. I hunt mostly old farmsteads, old school sites, and of course parks. I have no place within 300 miles to go to look at an upgrade detector. I want one that can handle all soil conditions including beaches so when I retire I can take it anywhere in the country. I have been researching the T2. Would that detector work for me anywhere, even shallow water? I appreciate your thoughts.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the t2 would be very good in salt water. I have done a bunch of freshwater wading with t2 and the sharpshooter and had a lot of success. The sharpshooter give decent coverage with outstanding pinpointing which helps when wading.

OP
OP
driftless

driftless

Sep 21, 2015
SE MN
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, F 70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank-you Dirtscratcher. I might take a close look at the F70, I've read it works in salt water.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Delta is a great detector. I'm happy for you that you started out with a good machine. I recently found two more gold rings with mine about two weeks ago.

I've never used a T2 but I've heard nothing but good about it. There is plenty of info and thousands of user reviews online.
Teknetics really makes some excellent products.

OP
OP
driftless

driftless

Sep 21, 2015
SE MN
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, F 70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Bob, I have had a good time with the Delta I', also looking at a good deal on an F70. Can't decide which one right now. The Delta will continue to see use by my kids and grandkids I hope.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Bob, I have had a good time with the Delta I', also looking at a good deal on an F70. Can't decide which one right now. The Delta will continue to see use by my kids and grandkids I hope.

I'm sure the kids will do very well with it. It's definitely very user friendly and perfect for any kid.

I've been pretty hard on mine. I've had it out in the rain when I shouldn't have a few times (which I do NOT recommend) and have had it literally caked with mud and dirt but it just keeps right on ticking.

I'm leaning toward the T2 myself; especially since they've reissued the original at a reduced price. The Omega looks really sweet and so does the G2 for that matter.
I know a guy who is a relic hunter and he got rid of his T2 SE and opted for the G2 which he loves for his hunting style. Overall, it seems to me that they're all really good. You don't hear too much about it but the reviews I have read are all really good.

With the Delta being only one tier up from the bottom, I was SHOCKED at the depth I got out of that machine from the very first day. My plans are to upgrade and go back and see if there's more deeper treasure at some of my really good spots.

But I'll never part with my Delta. It's been very good to me and never ceases to surprise me with the deep and often tiny targets it finds. I found two really small gold rings recently that were deep, smashed and sideways. The signals both bounced around but I was able to walk away with two more pieces of pretty deep gold. That single hunt basically paid for that machine; again.

For the money it's a very capable detector. They definitely hit a home run with that one.

Last edited:

treasuretech

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used the Gamma, the G2, and the G2+. They're all great. If I was going to look at another detector, it would be either an Omega or a T2 Ltd. I would definitely stay with the Teknetics line.

John

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used the Gamma, the G2, and the G2+. They're all great. If I was going to look at another detector, it would be either an Omega or a T2 Ltd. I would definitely stay with the Teknetics line.

John

As John says, I would also stick with the Teknetics/Fisher brand. I tried other detector brands just to see whats out there, came back to Fisher/Tek. Dollar for dollar, you won't find a better performing detector.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As John says, I would also stick with the Teknetics/Fisher brand. I tried other detector brands just to see whats out there, came back to Fisher/Tek. Dollar for dollar, you won't find a better performing detector.

Yeah, I went from muffler on a stick BH machines to the Delta. It was like going from a Yugo to a freakin' Corvette. I was truly amazed.

I remember thinking "so THIS is what metal detecting is supposed to be like". There was just no comparison. It's so nice to no longer having that nagging feeling that your swinging over good targets and missing them. I just hate to knowingly leave treasure behind; especially when you can get a good, solid detector at such a great price.
Plus, the pinpointing is fantastic. I truly almost always dig my plugs dead center over my targets. They've made it so easy.

I'm definitely sticking with the Tek brand. I just can't think of one good reason why I shouldn't.

OP
OP
driftless

driftless

Sep 21, 2015
SE MN
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, F 70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I picked up an F70 with the stock coil and a 5" sniper coil. Despite 8" of snow and frozen ground to boot, I have had it outside for a swing already. Im looking forward to using it this Spring. This one will take a bit longer to figure out what works best around here in southeast Minnesota. It keeps ground balancing @ 90 so I'm wondering if the snow and frozen ground have anything to do with that, maybe I just need more practice.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a lot of odd signals last year when using my gamma in the middle of a pine forest with perrywinkle ground cover and a few inches of snow/ice. Tough to ground balance and would randomly chatter as if disrupted by emi. Turned my cell phone off just in case and the problem persisted. Went out into a nearby grass field where most of the snow had melted and the problem ceased. Went back and there it was again. Not sure how the underbrush and snow and ice actually affected it, but it seemed to intermittently

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My t2 won't ground balance on snow or wood chips. I just kick snow aside or it won't Balance at all.

OP
OP
driftless

driftless

Sep 21, 2015
SE MN
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, F 70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going to start planning winter vacations to somewhere the ground stays semi-soft in the future. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would become so hooked on this adventure. At 59 years old, I guess I'm still confused. I read the forums and some of the folks complain about air temps in the 30-40's. I'm thinking, where am I going icefishing this weekend. All good stuff! It's another good day above ground! I do feel and urgency to dig up the ground like a badger...........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions