Omega 8000 thoughts

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would pay $300 to $325 for a used Omega. Out of the 3 detectors you are looking at I would lean towards both the Omega and F44 since they can be ground balanced. I am a DD coil guy myself and that pushes me closer to the Omega. You should go to the Kellyco site and use the compare feature. You can then do a side by side comparison of their specification.

beano52

Mar 21, 2015
STL MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000 Eurotek Pro Tesoro Vaquero Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly the Omega is a whole different class the the EuroTek Pro. I LOVE my Omega and Love the EuroTek.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have no experience with the omega 8000 or the eurotek pro. However, I love the F44. It's the only one of the 3 that is weatherproof.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys whats everybody's thoughts on the omega 8000 if the price is right? I've been looking at the fisher F44 and the eurotek pro.
I really like the Omega. Im using the NEL Sharpshooter coil on mine & it is a good machine, fast recovery speed, accurate ID, good depth and great separation. It is an easy machine to learn & once you learn the nuances, it really starts to speak to you.

kebo (scnative)

Mar 7, 2015
Lexington, SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero; Tesoro Conquistador uMax; Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
Other
I have an Omega 8000, how do I tell which version of firmware it has?

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an Omega 8000, how do I tell which version of firmware it has?

If you hold the pinpoint button while powering up, it will show the version number. Mine is a version 4, once in a great while emi will limit me to 50 on sensitivity, but the depth is still good at that setting.

kebo (scnative)

Mar 7, 2015
Lexington, SC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If you hold the pinpoint button while powering up, it will show the version number. Mine is a version 4, once in a great while emi will limit me to 50 on sensitivity, but the depth is still good at that setting.

Thanks. I'm guessing mine is V4 too, but I will check it when I get home from work today. One other question, can this be upgraded?? If so, I guess it has to be sent back to Teknetics?

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I'm guessing mine is V4 too, but I will check it when I get home from work today. One other question, can this be upgraded?? If so, I guess it has to be sent back to Teknetics?

Last I heard, they were no longer upgrading the Omega software versions. That could have changed though

kebo (scnative)

Mar 7, 2015
Lexington, SC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Well, I tried this on my Omega. By holding the pinpoint, and turning the unit on, it only displays "02" for a couple seconds, but then it changes to "01". That's all it will do. Can anyone interpret that?

kebo (scnative)

Mar 7, 2015
Lexington, SC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Last I heard, they were no longer upgrading the Omega software versions. That could have changed though

I called Teknetic's today to get the scoop (no pun intended!). I was connected with Lupe the tech and he said that mine was an older (original) unit, it was even before V4 software. So, it is indicating correctly. But... he said he thought it could be upgraded by replacing the circuit board for about $50, but he wasn't too sure about that. He then connected me with a customer support person who informed me that that was not the case. They do not offer anymore upgrades to Omega 8000 models, they will only upgrade the T2. So, atomicscott, your statement above was correct. Thanks everyone, mystery solved!

PS- When I was on the phone with Lupe the tech, I only heard Spanish speaking employee's. Nothing wrong with that mind you, just pointing it out. They are in El Paso, of course.

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called Teknetic's today to get the scoop (no pun intended!). I was connected with Lupe the tech and he said that mine was an older (original) unit, it was even before V4 software. So, it is indicating correctly. But... he said he thought it could be upgraded by replacing the circuit board for about $50, but he wasn't too sure about that. He then connected me with a customer support person who informed me that that was not the case. They do not offer anymore upgrades to Omega 8000 models, they will only upgrade the T2. So, atomicscott, your statement above was correct. Thanks everyone, mystery solved!

PS- When I was on the phone with Lupe the tech, I only heard Spanish speaking employee's. Nothing wrong with that mind you, just pointing it out. They are in El Paso, of course.

It is still a great machine. Remember, 70 is basically max on sensitivity. Once you go higher, the threshhold kicks in & it's more sensitive to tiny items at max depth (good for prospecting though). If you can run 50, you will be basically at about 80% of max

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no experience with the omega 8000 or the eurotek pro. However, I love the F44. It's the only one of the 3 that is weatherproof.

A 15.00 neoprene box cover makes the Omega (or pretty much any detector) basically "weatherproof" as well. In a pinch, a plastic bag and a rubber band will also do the trick.

Just sayin'.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread