Any input on Omega 8000 and NEL 5" round sharp coil?

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everybody!
Just wanted to see if anyone could chime in on their experience with the NEL Sharp 5" DD coil. I have one on the way, to deal with some of the trashier sites that I have seem to have "hunted out" with my current coils as well as doing some casual nugget shooting in 3-4 grain+ size. Mainly using NEL Sharpshooter now, I really like it. I seem to find more in trashy sites using smaller coils than the stock or bigger coils. The 4" sniper on the F2 amazed me more than a few times, finding some early wheats and clad at good depths that my other detectors/coils just did not see or masked, so I'm hoping the Omega will work well with the little 5" round. Thanks so much for any info you have.

Last edited:

Rce777777

Jul 12, 2014
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 and Eurotek pro for my little partner.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just went over a "hunted out" site with mine this weekend. Old home site that is just loaded with iron trash. Managed to pull a 1951 nickle, 191? Wheat, couple buttons, and a few old bullets. Only stayed about 2 hours but I was really surprised at how many targets we had missed. Most were lead head nails but they were still missed with the other coils. We have used 8" concentric, 5x10 elliptical, and 11" DD in the past. Plan on hitting it a little more soon. Really only covered about 1200 sq/ft area. Thinking about notching out midrange but leave the iron. Hope to get some masked coins that I may have overlooked.

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just went over a "hunted out" site with mine this weekend. Old home site that is just loaded with iron trash. Managed to pull a 1951 nickle, 191? Wheat, couple buttons, and a few old bullets. Only stayed about 2 hours but I was really surprised at how many targets we had missed. Most were lead head nails but they were still missed with the other coils. We have used 8" concentric, 5x10 elliptical, and 11" DD in the past. Plan on hitting it a little more soon. Really only covered about 1200 sq/ft area. Thinking about notching out midrange but leave the iron. Hope to get some masked coins that I may have overlooked.
Thanks so much for the info! Sounds like a great hunt, very similar to the sites I hunt. I have an old Chinese railroad camp dump (old canal) near me dating to the 1860's with so much iron it is easy to give up on, after digging a few or twenty rusty cans. This what I was hoping to hear. I have tried larger coils on all my detectors, but always end up reverting to the smaller coils as they just seem to be more productive for me. Can you comment on the depth? Do you notice a change in the ID numbers over the stock coil? Did you notice whether EMI improved over the stock coil, due to the smaller size?

Rce777777

Jul 12, 2014
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 and Eurotek pro for my little partner.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never had much problem with EMI but I hunt in the middle of nowhere. Hard to say on depth because 90% of my targets were only 1-2" deep. I did get a horseshoe that was 6-7" down but that's also a big iron object. I would say 3-4" on coins. The ID's seemed to be pretty well inline with the other coils. Again, most targets had nails in with them so the numbers jumped around. I turned the discrimination off or down to 1. I tried to go slow and pick out the high tones.

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a video (not in english) of the Omega 8000/NEL Sharp hitting a buried, dime sized coin at 20 cm or about 8". Of course this is with the sensitivity at max, but it was getting a good signal on the same targets that the large stock coil did. Very impressive though for a 5" coil. According to tracking, it is on the way so hopefully I can get out & try it if the mail comes early enough. :happy3:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread