Teknetics Omega 8500 - Anyone Else Using One?

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been playing around with the Omega 8500 some. My Omega 8000 version 6 is super fast, but my Omega 8500 in the deep '00' mode is blazing fast. I'm going to try these settings with the Omega 8500 the next time that I go detecting with it: Discrimination 0, Notch 0, Sensitivity 70, Tones D5, Deep '00', Volume for Iron -7, Foil -7, Nickel -7, Pull Tab -7, Screw Cap -7, Zinc -7, Dimes 10, Quarters 10. I sure like that the detector remembers its last settings when it's turned on.

Even though running the Omega 8500 in the super fast '00' deep mode is more sensitive to EMI with the volume tuned down on all but the dime and quarter ID segments, it's not all that annoying to listen to. Also in D5 Tones the deep '00' mode still gets good depth.

Using the super fast mode should unlock some masked silver coins.

Here's a video showing how all the modes work:

tabman

metalghost04

Jan 25, 2015
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Current: Etrac, Omega 8500, Garrett AT PP
Past: Fisher F2, Garrett ATP, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impatiently waiting on one!

I just ordered an Omega 8500 from Craig at show me treasure. It seems that it hasn't gotten a following yet but if you look at when the original omega came out out was overlooked until it got in some experienced detectorists hands and then it started getting a loyal following. People sold their t2s and guys after buying An omega. It's a no Brainer on owning a 8500 for me because it hits everything I'm looking for. Weight and balance is great, Id is very stable and with that extra decimal point now it should be even better, dedicated threshold control is great cuz I love using all metal, tones are good with modulated audio which can be turned off on d5, fast mode with 2 other emi filters that offer better depth or a "boost" mode essentially, back light is cool, volume notch is a cool feature, it does very well in iron, and ground balance is great too . I mean, this detector should be king of upper mid range. I think it's going to take a bit until it gets thoroughly tested and finds a following but for the price I think it beats anything out there. Can't wait to put it through some testing myself. I currently run a etrac but over the last few years I've had fishers, xp deus, Garrett at pro, and now this which will bee my first foray into teknetics territory. I'm really interested in how well the deep modes actually work because the omega was already no slouch in separation or deepness.

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an 8500 coming as well. I had a version 4 8000 and was very pleased with it's performance. The 8500 with the iron volume alone is worth the change for me. Run in two tone with the iron volume set lower than the non-ferrous targets will be similar to running the Deeptech Vista Gold with the two tone disc...

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Omega 8500 seems impressive from the reviews so far...Like Highplainshunter said the iron audio is probably one of the best features along with the backlight, the ability to save settings and the boost mode...I have it nailed down to the Omega 8500 and the Makro Racer 2...Have yet to hear more reviews on both before I decide....The Teknetics 5 year warranty is much better than the Makros warranty, so that is another important consideration....Hopefully more reviews will be in on both shortly...It is just a waiting game...

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea yaw just rub it in,I've bought "teknally" to many new machines lately and now I want a 8500,sucks.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Omega 8500 is a good detector with a lot of great features, but I like my F75DST better, so I'll end up selling mine. The audio on the 8500 is a little too digital for my Tesoro analog ears. The next detector on my list of detectors to try is the Racer 2. I really enjoy trying different detectors.

tabman

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Omega 8500 is a good detector with a lot of great features, but I like my F75DST better, so I'll end up selling mine. The audio on the 8500 is a little too digital for my Tesoro analog ears. The next detector on my list of detectors to try is the Racer 2. I really enjoy trying different detectors.

tabman

I imagine most would prefer the F75. Hard to compare the $599 Omega with a machine costing several hundred dollars more.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I imagine most would prefer the F75. Hard to compare the $599 Omega with a machine costing several hundred dollars more.

There are some who actually like the Omega 8000 better than the F75. I did before I had the DST upgrade done to the F75. Both are good detectors, but I favor the F75DST a little more, because it handles EMI better.

I now have the 8500 listed for sale or trade on the forum. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...493274-sale-trade-teknetics-omega-8500-a.html

tabman

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some who actually like the Omega 8000 better than the F75. I did before I had the DST upgrade done to the F75. Both are good detectors, but I favor the F75DST a little more, because it handles EMI better.

I now have the 8500 listed for sale or trade on the forum. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/treasure-related-stuff-sale/493274-sale-trade-teknetics-omega-8500-a.html

tabman
That is interesting tabman. I just assumed the F75 would be the better of the 2. What did you prefer about the Omega before the F75 upgrade?

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is interesting tabman. I just assumed the F75 would be the better of the 2. What did you prefer about the Omega before the F75 upgrade?

The Omega handles EMI better and it locked onto ID numbers better than my F75 did before I got the upgrade. The F75 VDI numbers bounced all over the place. The DST upgrade changed all that. When I first bought the F75 I hardly ever used it the first year. I preferred instead using the Omega. Anyone who has used the Omega for any length of time will tell you that it's hot on silver coins.

tabman

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the review tabman. I wish I had seen your detector when it was for sale. I like trying different detectors too, I just prefer to keep mine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions