Just Pulled The Trigger on an Omega 8000....

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out for a little while before dark and used the Omega again for maybe 90 minutes.

I dug up my first street car token from the United Railway & Electric Co., Baltimore MD; good for one fare. I also got another wheatie; a 1950. The token is really small and it was at least 7" deep. The Omega had no problem seeing it whatsoever. I'm very impressed. I'll get some pics up but probably not tonight. I'm exhausted.

I've been using the Delta steadily for a good year and a half now and feel like I know it extremely well. To me, the Omega is very similar. I already feel like I've been using it forever. It's real easy to slide right into. The numbers are the same and I'm running it in D3 for the most part; just like the Delta. The ID is definitely more accurate at deeper targets with the Omega but the basic platform is very similar. It's just a perfect fit for me. It's definitely one bad ass metal detector,

It's kinda' like going from an old Honda Civic to an Acura Legend. The platform is the same but the ride and the overall experience is WAY, WAY better. So to me, the Delta is the Civic, the Omega is that Acura, and it' definitely is a really sweet ride.

Great report Bob, wait until you get your hands on large and small coils, i got a 11DD and the 8 CON" for my Gamma 6000. The Gamma's gain circuitry and processing is the same as the Omega, same depth and separation. While my favorite coil is the 8" which hates bottlecaps, the 11DD goes deep 13-15" air tests on coins which in my dirt is the same as in ground.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great report Bob, wait until you get your hands on large and small coils, i got a 11DD and the 8 CON" for my Gamma 6000. The Gamma's gain circuitry and processing is the same as the Omega, same depth and separation. While my favorite coil is the 8" which hates bottlecaps, the 11DD goes deep 13-15" air tests on coins which in my dirt is the same as in ground.

Well I already have the 8" from the Delta so I'm set there. And you're right, I definitely dig fewer bottle caps with that coil. They often hit in the zinc range as do some lower content silver rings so I usually dig them. I've dug many of silver rings at 77-79 using the Delta. The really good silver and coins usually hit nice and high. I do notice that the Omega just screams when it locks onto a coin.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input. I'm literally DYING to get out of work today so I can go play with my new machine. I'm planning on hitting my colonial site where I dug two 1700's coins last year. I've hit it hard with the Delta with no more luck but I'm hoping the Omega can coax out a little more treasure.

I've always said that I love my Delta which I still do. But, I think I'm IN LOVE with the Omega already. It's a really sweet machine and it just feels right; a good fit. Plus, I got it at a fantastic price. I'm really happy with this deal.
My Fisher F2 convinced me that FTP products rock. The Tek was, like you said, very easy to settle into. Definitely not a learning curve like the Minelab. I so envy you guys that have colonial sites! The oldest stuff in Cali is generally mid 1800's to early 1900's. The oldest (American) coin I have found is an IH penny, no visible date. I found a Chinese death (ghost) coin that could be as old as 1875-1908. FYI, the site I found the wheats I had given up on after being skunked there 3-4 times in a row. I have found at least 10 wheats at this site with an F2, X-Terra and the Omega. The last coil I used before I gave up was the NEL Sharpshooter 9.5 x 5 DD. I decided to try it again with the NEL Sharp, 5" round DD. Bam! found 2 wheats (1940, 1945) in the first 2 times back to that site. To me, even wheats and old relics are fun to dig, as it is pretty slim pickings out here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Fisher F2 convinced me that FTP products rock. The Tek was, like you said, very easy to settle into. Definitely not a learning curve like the Minelab. I so envy you guys that have colonial sites! The oldest stuff in Cali is generally mid 1800's to early 1900's. The oldest (American) coin I have found is an IH penny, no visible date. I found a Chinese death (ghost) coin that could be as old as 1875-1908. FYI, the site I found the wheats I had given up on after being skunked there 3-4 times in a row. I have found at least 10 wheats at this site with an F2, X-Terra and the Omega. The last coil I used before I gave up was the NEL Sharpshooter 9.5 x 5 DD. I decided to try it again with the NEL Sharp, 5" round DD. Bam! found 2 wheats (1940, 1945) in the first 2 times back to that site. To me, even wheats and old relics are fun to dig, as it is pretty slim pickings out here.

I hear you. If I at least hit a wheatie I feel good and also know there's a chance at some silver.

And I agree about FTP. I really have no experience with anything else but I know I love their products. I went from BH, to the Tek Delta 4000 to the Omega and it was a breeze moving up to the Omega.

And so far, I have only one colonial site I found by accident next to a modern parking lot in plain view. There are certainly more to be found but I need to work on that.

I've pulled those three nice old coins but even after quite a few hunts nothing else has turned up. I can't find any history on the spot to try and figure out what was once there. I'm hoping against hope that there may be some old silver to be found but so far, it's only been those three old coppers; the 1787 NJ Copper, a 1790 something (can't read the last number) Liberty Cap and an 1807 Draped Bust LC. They are my three oldest coin finds and all were dug in a very small area; maybe 20 x 40 feet among huge amounts of iron.

But the grass is always greener. I envy you CA hunters because you have GOLD country. I would absolutely LOVE to find a gold nugget; even a tiny one. I once spent a good part of a summer panning for gold in my area and found everything but. It's just not common here. They say it's in all 50 states and that may be true but I sure haven't found any.

But that's what's so cool about this hobby. There is literally treasure everywhere right under our feet and 99 out of 100 people don't even give it a thought; much less go out, locate it, dig it up and bring it home like we do.

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you. If I at least hit a wheatie I feel good and also know there's a chance at some silver.

And I agree about FTP. I really have no experience with anything else but I know I love their products. I went from BH, to the Tek Delta 4000 to the Omega and it was a breeze moving up to the Omega.

And so far, I have only one colonial site I found by accident next to a modern parking lot in plain view. There are certainly more to be found but I need to work on that.

I've pulled those three nice old coins but even after quite a few hunts nothing else has turned up. I can't find any history on the spot to try and figure out what was once there. I'm hoping against hope that there may be some old silver to be found but so far, it's only been those three old coppers; the 1787 NJ Copper, a 1790 something (can't read the last number) Liberty Cap and an 1807 Draped Bust LC. They are my three oldest coin finds and all were dug in a very small area; maybe 20 x 40 feet among huge amounts of iron.

But the grass is always greener. I envy you CA hunters because you have GOLD country. I would absolutely LOVE to find a gold nugget; even a tiny one. I once spent a good part of a summer panning for gold in my area and found everything but. It's just not common here. They say it's in all 50 states and that may be true but I sure haven't found any.

But that's what's so cool about this hobby. There is literally treasure everywhere right under our feet and 99 out of 100 people don't even give it a thought; much less go out, locate it, dig it up and bring it home like we do.

Gold is fun to find, but very hard to find even in the nugget bearing areas out here. Constant changing ground mineralization going from bad to worse. My buddy had been out 40 times before finding his first nugget wieghing 7 grains. $50-80 in gas each trip. So it cost him well over $2000 to find it, lol. I recently picked up Fisher Gold Bug (original version) to get out there again as last time I was out I was using my Vaquero, but the Gold Bug has a great rep, known to find much gold over the years. Nuggets here are small, unless you have a PI like a Minelab GPX, etc. to reach through the mineralization and hit the deeper larger nuggets. Still fun though & it I love being in the desert. There are 5-6 hardrock gold mines within 10 miles of me, but no detectable gold has been found (I have found micro gold here) other than a gold button (melted into a drop like a Hersheys kiss) that an old miner must have dropped. The gold fields that have known nuggets are about 1.5-2 hours from me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, finding something an old miner dropped is still a fantastic find' especially when it's pure, 24K gold. But, if it were easy everyone would be doin' it right? It would definitely be worth driving a couple of hours if you had a relatively decent chance of finding some.

I also saw a cool documentary about people digging meteorites in the desert using metal detectors. Some of those can bring some serious money. I've seen where they slice the really nice ones into razor thin sheets and display them in front of lights. They look amazing.

I was given a huge hunk of meteorite by a family friend when I was about 6. I have eight siblings and of course, it vanished like everything else I ever had growing up.
Oh well. That's the way it goes. I sure would like to know what happened to it though. It was an awesome piece.

I've also seen three fireballs drop to the earth in my life. I tried to locate two of them where they hit with no luck. It's really hard to judge the distance when they're falling. I still think I was close but apparently not close enough.

I also saw a story where two kids found a pretty good sized one and sold HALF of it to a university for 20 grand. Talk about money from heaven. How great would that be?? I think it was a phenomenal specimen or something.

Anyway, good luck out there....

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, finding something an old miner dropped is still a fantastic find' especially when it's pure, 24K gold. But, if it were easy everyone would be doin' it right? It would definitely be worth driving a couple of hours if you had a relatively decent chance of finding some.

I also saw a cool documentary about people digging meteorites in the desert using metal detectors. Some of those can bring some serious money. I've seen where they slice the really nice ones into razor thin sheets and display them in front of lights. They look amazing.

I was given a huge hunk of meteorite by a family friend when I was about 6. I have eight siblings and of course, it vanished like everything else I ever had growing up.
Oh well. That's the way it goes. I sure would like to know what happened to it though. It was an awesome piece.

I've also seen three fireballs drop to the earth in my life. I tried to locate two of them where they hit with no luck. It's really hard to judge the distance when they're falling. I still think I was close but apparently not close enough.

I also saw a story where two kids found a pretty good sized one and sold HALF of it to a university for 20 grand. Talk about money from heaven. How great would that be?? I think it was a phenomenal specimen or something.

Anyway, good luck out there....

The only gold I found with my detector was a men's 14 kt bracelet that weighed 7.6 grams. Funny you should mention the meteorites, I was just watching 'Pawn Stars' & a guy was selling one to Rick that he found in the desert out here. Definitely gonna plan a trip to look for some! It can be hard to find legal strewn fields, much of it is protected land or private property these days. Those meteorites can be worth much more than gold though!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only gold I found with my detector was a men's 14 kt bracelet that weighed 7.6 grams. Funny you should mention the meteorites, I was just watching 'Pawn Stars' & a guy was selling one to Rick that he found in the desert out here. Definitely gonna plan a trip to look for some! It can be hard to find legal strewn fields, much of it is protected land or private property these days. Those meteorites can be worth much more than gold though!

If you can get to any of those spots it would definitely be worth it to at least try.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, the disc should not really affect the accuracy of VID, if I really don't want to not miss anything, I dismiss the ID#s a bit & dig only the solid tones. VID is generally less accurate than tones as the VID is based on round, coin sized objects that are lying flat in the ground. Odd shaped (jewelry, relics etc...) objects may not have solid VID (not being round) and look like trash by the numbers, (especially when circling target) but the tones usually will still stay solid. Oh, BTW I also dug my 1910 wheat with the Omega!

I totally agree.

I'm actually thankful that I started out with a Tracker IV because it taught to me hunt by sound from the get go.

VDI is great but I definitely hunt way more by tones to this day. The numbers are just a bonus. I never even think about the depth indicator on any screen . I just dig until I hit the target. Besides, when you really know your machine the tones give you a pretty good idea of the depth anyway. I even dig those "whisper" tones. I've hit quite a few good deep targets that way.

For the most part, tones and my gut are my two primary hunting tools.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a pic of that trolley token I found with the Omega. I already posted in "Today's Finds" when I got it but what the heck. Might as well have it on the record in this thread too.

Trolley Token March 30 2016 001.JPG Trolley Token March 30 2016 002.JPG

That showed up within the first 10 minutes of that hunt. It's not silver or gold but it's definitely old and pretty small; smaller than a dime I think. It was also pretty deep. It showed up in a spot I've hit with the Delta many, many times which showed me exactly what I wanted to see.

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Great find Bob! Thats how I judge things too. If I keep getting skunked going over the same piece of ground & find something with my new coil or detector, that tells me all I need to know!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! Great find Bob! Thats how I judge things too. If I keep getting skunked going over the same piece of ground & find something with my new coil or detector, that tells me all I need to know!

Absolutely.
Using the Delta for as long as I did was awesome but the Omega is just amazing. I'm so happy I bit the bullet and got it and I'm very happy with my choice. It's even better than I imagined.

The fact that I'm finding more stuff in the same spots just proves to me it's a more capable machine that will do exactly what I had hoped it would do. That doesn't make the Delta bad in any way but like you said, it's told me what I needed to know.

Last night I found 2 religious medals; one huge copper one that I thought was an LC at first and one silver. I also found a DEEP 1920 Merc'.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...20-mercury-dime-two-more-cool-old-medals.html

I went back again tonight for a little while and found a small Sterling ID bracelet on a silver chain. It was bouncing between zinc and silver; 78-80. That makes three silvers in two hunts. I haven't posted it yet because it actually has a guys' name and address on it. I haven't been able to find any info online yet but I'll keep looking. It could have been lost 50-60 years ago for all I know.

It was so muddy after raining all day but as messy as it was, I still enjoyed myself. I've had some great luck on muddy hunts in the past and tonight's hunt did not disappoint. I have a feeling it's gonna' be a good year....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I received my neoprene rain cover today. I bought it from a place I found online. They're in Missouri and called called Golden Road Enterprises. Most every place I looked was asking 19.95-29.95 and this guy had them for 14.95 guaranteed to be delivered in 4 days. I ordered it on Sunday and received it around lunchtime today as promised.

I'm very satisfied with the quality of the item and the service. They seem to really be on the ball so I can definitely recommend this company based on my buying experience.

I put it on the machine to check the fit and it's absolutely PERFECT and covers every conceivable spot where rain could get in and do any damage. Plus the screen is well protected from scratches of course.

It definitely muffles the sound significantly and I actually like that. I'm so used to the volume control on my Delta and always run it around 4 because my hearing is really sensitive. Plus, I like to keep a low profile for the most part anyway.

The Omega doesn't have the volume control feature and that's been my one and ONLY complaint about it. With this cover, that problem is now solved. It took a few minutes to get used to but now it's even better. Plus if I'm ever hunting in a noisy area I can always just take the cover off or use headphones. Btw, I don't like using headphones. I find them to be way too cumbersome and annoying. I can't stand having wires in my way. I may go wireless at some point but until then I only use headphones if I absolutely have to and even then it's usually my Apple ear buds.

A week or so ago I was hunting and it started to pour so I had to hold the box under my shirt as I made my way out of the woods. That's when I decided to get a proper rain cover. Until now I've always used a Ziploc and a rubber band but I left it behind that day. It was one of those sudden, unexpected downpours.

So I guess now mother nature can bring it on and I won't have to worry. A great detector just got even better.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad your detector made it out of that cloudburst alive. Even with a robust neoprene cover, not sure I would test fate by intentionally exposing a non waterproof detector to even an hour long driving rain storm, but I do have neoprene covers for all my non waterproof detectors including my Omega because they physically protect the control box/screen and provide peace of mind if I get caught in the rain, unexpectedly.

I felt the same way about headphones when I started out. The wireless phones on the Deus made life a lot easier as far as the wire issue is concerned. Plus there are some situations such as beach or group hunting that are just not conducive having your machine blaring to the annoyance of all those within ear shot.

When I'm hunting whether a tot lot with plenty of company or all by myself in the middle of the woods, I want bring as little attention to myself as possible so that means no loudspeaker and preferably low profile headgear and detector and digging tools whenever possible.

But the final realization I had that would keep me from ever detecting without phones (either wired or wireless) is that I discovered what the subtleties in the tone QUALITY were telling me about the target and how that factored into my decision to dig. Those subleties are completely lost whenever I try to just use the detector loudspeaker. If my phones broke in the middle of a remote hunt, then perhaps I would consider using the speaker. However, out of fear for that scenario I always keep a spare set of phones in my pack or car, as appropriate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad your detector made it out of that cloudburst alive. Even with a robust neoprene cover, not sure I would test fate by intentionally exposing a non waterproof detector to even an hour long driving rain storm, but I do have neoprene covers for all my non waterproof detectors including my Omega because they physically protect the control box/screen and provide peace of mind if I get caught in the rain, unexpectedly.

I felt the same way about headphones when I started out. The wireless phones on the Deus made life a lot easier as far as the wire issue is concerned plus there are some situations such as beach or group hunting that are just not conducive having your machine blaring to the annoyance of all those within ear shot.

When I'm hunting whether a tot lot or all by myself in the middle of the woods, I want bring as little attention to myself as possible so that means no loudspeaker and preferably low profile headgear and detector and digging tools whenever possible.

But the final realization I had that would keep me from ever detecting without phones (either wired or witeless) is that I discovered what the subtleties in the tone QUALITY were telling me about the target and how that factored into my decision to dig. Those subleties are completely lost whenever I try to just use the detector loudspeaker. If my phones broke in the middle of a remote hunt, then perhaps I would consider using the speaker. However, out of fear for that scenario I always keep a spare set of phones in my pack or car, as appropriate.

I always have my phones handy I just don't like using them. Since I dig almost everything above iron the subtle nuances have not yet been a problem. In fact, the really crazy bouncy hits are ones I pretty much always dig. I got two gold gold rings that way last fall that I could have easily passed over as "foil".

With my Delta, I know those tones almost by instinct at this point after putting so many hours on it. The Omega although very similar; has it own nuances which I intend to know by heart before I'm through.

And yes, my plan is to ultimately go wireless. Like you, I always try and keep a very low profile; not only in detecting but for life in general.
I have far fewer problems that way.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You make a good point. The key is training your ear to those subtleties regardless of whether you are using the speaker or headphones as long as whatever you are using is putting out the sounds you need to hear, then it makes no difference as long as you are consistent in your approach and comfortable with your method other than the situational circumstances discussed previously that may necessitate use of phones. I've grown most comfortable with Deus wireless and it takes some effort to use non-wireless detectors even if those detectors are more suitable to job at hand.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You make a good point. The key is training your ear to those subtleties regardless of whether you are using the speaker or headphones as long as whatever you are using is putting out the sounds you need to hear, then it makes no difference as long as you are consistent in your approach and comfortable with your method other than the situational circumstances discussed previously that may necessitate use of phones. I've grown most comfortable with Deus wireless and it takes some effort to use non-wireless detectors even if those detectors are more suitable to job at hand.

I actually do have a really good ear. I've been a musician since I was a young kid and after more decades than I can even believe of training my ear I can pick out subtle sounds and tones extremely well. It's second nature with me and always came naturally.

I'm really fortunate as well as very grateful that I was born with a gift like that. I sure didn't create it myself. My whole family has it; all 8 siblings as well as my oldest son (who REALLY has it) and quite a few of my cousins and other relatives. It's obviously genetic. I'm just not sure which side of the family it came from because we have musicians on both sides.
Wherever it came from, it's definitely a great asset when it comes to detecting; among other things.

I truly don't like my detector to be too loud. I really got spoiled with the Delta and it's volume control. I'm actually surprised that the Omega doesn't have it since it's a higher end detector. Maybe the day will come when Teknetics has it as standard equipment on all of their machines.

The lack of volume control certainly wasn't a deal breaker though that's for sure. I'm loving that machine more every time I use it. I dug another silver Rosie with it this evening; a 1946. It definitely loves silver. I've dug more silver in a couple of weeks than I dug all last summer with the Delta at the same sites and I'm barely out of the gate.

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob, there is a reason most experienced detectorists use headphones. That is also the reason many higher end machines don't offer a volume control, they assume you will likely be using detecting headphones that usually have their own volume control.
It really has little to do with having perfect pitch or having a good musical ear. I have been playing guitar for 36 years (nouveau flamenco nylon string, and prog metal electric like yngwie malmsteen etc...) and I cannot detect without my headphones once I tried them. Headphones deaden some of the outside noise & help me to hear the subtle tones of deeper targets. Not to mention, it is less disturbing to others trying to enjoy a quiet day at the park/beach, as well as lessening the chances of distractions like kids & others inquiring about my detecting. It really makes me feel more 'at one' with my detector. BTW, I have a sample song on reverbnation.com if you would like to check it out! Hehe.

Last edited:

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob, there is a reason most experienced detectorists use headphones. That is also the reason many higher end machines don't offer a volume control, they assume you will likely be using detecting headphones that usually have their own volume control.
It really has little to do with having perfect pitch or having a good musical ear. I have been playing guitar for 36 years (nouveau flamenco nylon string, and prog metal electric like yngwie malmsteen etc...) and I cannot detect without my headphones once I tried them. Headphones deaden some of the outside noise & help me to hear the subtle tones of deeper targets. Not to mention, it is less disturbing to others trying to enjoy a quiet day at the park/beach, as well as lessening the chances of distractions like kids & others inquiring about my detecting. It really makes me feel more 'at one' with my detector. BTW, I have a sample song on reverbnation.com if you would like to check it out! Hehe.

Not to mention the battery savings by using headphones...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread