Just Pulled The Trigger on an Omega 8000....

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been wanting to upgrade to either a a T2, G2 or Omega since the end of last year (still want at least one of those one day). So I made up my mind to get something in the very near future. I just missed a great deal on a used G2 from a fellow T'Netter because I couldn't get some monies owed to me in time. Oh well, that's just the way it goes sometimes. No worries.

So yesterday a sweet deal on a used Omega presented itself to me. I made the payment this morning and I should have it in my hands by early next week. I wish I could get it in time for the weekend but I guess I'll just have to exercise a little patience in the meantime.

It's a version 4 with the stock, 10" concentric/elliptical coil. The overall condition is almost perfect and I'm told it functions flawlessly. We shall soon see. I've also been told the NEL sharpshooter DD coil works really well with it so I'll probably pick one up relatively soon.

I'll post a few reports/reviews once I take it out for a few spins at some of my good pounded sites and see if it locates anything the Delta may have passed over. Hopefully I'll be posting some good treasure pics as well. We'll see about that too.

I've watched quite a few vids on this machine but I'm always open to, and always appreciative of any information that may help me to use this detector to it's fullest potential. There's always something more to learn.

Now all I need to do is unload a few of my old BH machines. I'm running out of space.....

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I watched a couple videos, I like it's tones and it's easy to set up.. Bet you'll be happy with the Omega for awhile. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I watched a couple videos, I like it's tones and it's easy to set up.. Bet you'll be happy with the Omega for awhile. :thumbsup:

I think I'll like it. I've read many great reviews, watched a bunch of good videos and read a couple of really bad reviews. But, you can find a bad review on anything if you look long enough. Personal taste plays a role I'm sure.
It looks like a really nice detector to me. If I didn't think so I wouldn't have gotten it. Plus I got it at a great price which is always good.

Also; as much as I love the old Delta I just don't see how I wouldn't like it. I'm hoping it's like a Delta on steroids. The only problem I'm having at the moment is waiting for it to get here so I can try it out. Next week can't get here fast enough.

I'll try and give an honest review after a while like I did on the XPointer (which is still working as good as the day I got it BTW).

I wish I could have had gotten that G2 though. That was my first choice but there's nothing wrong with 2nd best.
There's always next year.....

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are going to LOVE it! It is a great machine. It has an interesting 'language' that does not take long to learn but gives you a lot of info about what's in the ground. It reminds me of a gold machine in the way it responds to ferrous vs non-ferrous targets. Great machine.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'll like it. I've read many great reviews, watched a bunch of good videos and read a couple of really bad reviews. But, you can find a bad review on anything if you look long enough. Personal taste plays a role I'm sure.
It looks like a really nice detector to me. If I didn't think so I wouldn't have gotten it. Plus I got it at a great price which is always good.

Also; as much as I love the old Delta I just don't see how I wouldn't like it. The only problem I'm having at the moment is waiting for it to get here so I can try it out. Next week can't get here fast enough.

I'll try and give an honest review after a while like I did on the XPointer (which is still working as good as the day I got it BTW).

I wish I could have had gotten that G2 though. That was my first choice but there's nothing wrong with 2nd best.
There's always next year.....

The G2 is nice and a little bit faster than the Omega but the Omega is deeper and more of a general purpose machine. I had a G2 found its depth lacking sold it, settled for a Gamma 6000 and im happy with my choice. The Omega 8000 has many more options for the general detectorists. Couple the Omega with a DD or a Snake Coil and you're in for lots of fun in the trash. If you want the best target separation possible there are better machines for that on the market now than the G2/G2+/F19...

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The G2 is nice and a little bit faster than the Omega but the Omega is deeper and more of a general purpose machine. I had a G2 found its depth lacking sold it, settled for a Gamma 6000 and im happy with my choice. The Omega 8000 has many more options for the general detectorists. Couple the Omega with a DD or a Snake Coil and you're in for lots of fun in the trash. If you want the best target separation possible there are better machines for that on the market now than the G2/G2+/F19...
True! I really like the NEL Sharpshooter DD and I just recently started using the NEL Sharp 5" round DD. Found a 1945 and a1949 wheaty in a very 'hunted out' site with the 5" Sharp. Great coil for those trashy sites, separation is even better than the Sharpshooter IMO.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well the Omega arrived a little while ago. I put it all together, put a battery in it and made sure it works properly. It does so I'm ready to roll. Unfortunately I probably won't have much time to try it out tonight but I'm gonna' try.

It looks really nice and appears to be in excellent shape. Right offhand I think I'm going to figure out a way to make the handle and box connection a bit stiffer. There's nothing wrong with it but I definitely like the box mounted directly to the S rod better than the extra handle they use. That may even be an option at some point. I'll have to take a closer look. For now I just wanna' take it out, get used to it and hopefully find enough treasure this year to pay for it.

The first spot I'm gonna' hit is my heavily pounded, abandoned ball field. I figure that should be a good test to see if anything shows up that I may have passed over with my other machines.

More to follow......

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I took the Omega out on it's maiden voyage to my pounded field. I left work and hunted until dark.

I didn't find anything old, gold or silver but I did dig quite a few targets in areas that I previously hit with the Delta. I dug a little clad, quite a few pull tabs, some can slaw and a small, deep eagle pin I thought was gold but turned out to be plated.

I really didn't have too much time but the detector is definitely sweet and I definitely love it. It's like the Delta on steroids. The great thing is that it really feels so much like the Delta that I was digging targets in just a few minutes.

It's like I'm already familiar with it. The tones are a little different but it's just as crisp and seems to hit even deeper and the target separation is a bit better. It also hits on the tiny, deep targets just like the Delta. I dug two .22 shell fragments as well as a few really tiny bits of copper wire.

The pinpointing is as great as the Delta too. I had no problem whatsoever getting the targets in the center of the plug. They really do make it easy, which is nice because you get to spend more time hunting rather than widening holes.

So now I just need to get out there and use it. If anyone was wondering if the Omega is a good machine or not I can already state with confidence that it definitely is.

Last edited:

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob always check the gain of the machine by performing an initial airtest and annotating the numbers at max sens, which on the Omega should be about 11" on a nickel at 94 sens, Disc 30, 2 tone, GB 82 default. You'll like the Omega, it is a great unit that will serve you well for years. Just get a coil cover and neoprene control box cover and the machine will take care of all your needs, except salty beach of course.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I took the Omega out on it's maiden voyage to my pounded field. I left work and hunted until dark.

I didn't find anything old, gold or silver but I did dig quite a few targets in areas that I previously hit with the Delta. I dug a little clad, quite a few pull tabs, some can slaw and a small, deep eagle pin I thought was gold but turned out to be plated.

I really didn't have too much time but the detector is definitely sweet and I definitely love it. It's like the Delta on steroids. The great thing is that it really feels so much like the Delta that I was digging targets in just a few minutes.

It's like I'm already familiar with it. The tones are a little different but it's just as crisp and seems to hit even deeper and the target separation is a bit better. It also hits on the tiny, deep targets just like the Delta. I dug two .22 shell fragments as well as a few really tiny bits of copper wire.

The pinpointing is as great as the Delta too. I had no problem whatsoever getting the targets in the center of the plug. They really do make it easy, which is nice because you get to spend more time hunting rather than widening holes.

So now I just need to get out there and use it. If anyone was wondering if the Omega is a good machine or not I can already state with confidence that it definitely is.

Vaquero, Minelab X-Terra 505 & Omega 8000. Of these 3 that I owned and used for over a year, the Omega is the only one I would not part with. It's my favorite detector so far, especially with the NEL Sharpshooter. It has a unique response to trash items like foil, iron, etc... Very intuitive machine. Keep us posted on your success, I'm sure you will be finding a lot of goodies you missed at your usual sites. HH! Scott

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the input. I'm literally DYING to get out of work today so I can go play with my new machine. I'm planning on hitting my colonial site where I dug two 1700's coins last year. I've hit it hard with the Delta with no more luck but I'm hoping the Omega can coax out a little more treasure.

I've always said that I love my Delta which I still do. But, I think I'm IN LOVE with the Omega already. It's a really sweet machine and it just feels right; a good fit. Plus, I got it at a fantastic price. I'm really happy with this deal.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input. I'm literally DYING to get out of work today so I can go play with my new machine. I'm planning on hitting my colonial site where I dug two 1700's coins last year. I've hit it hard with the Delta with no more luck but I'm hoping the Omega can coax out a little more treasure.

I've always said that I love my Delta which I still do. But, I think I'm IN LOVE with the Omega already. It's a really sweet machine and it just feels right; a good fit. Plus, I got it at a fantastic price. I'm really happy with this deal.

The Delta is hard to beat for the price, what you will notice is that Omega is just a bit deeper than the Delta at max sens of 12, maybe an 1" or 2". However the tone options, ground balancing and the quicker response make the Omega more formidable. Hook up a big coil to the Omega and call it a day ! Enjoy the hunts let us know how it goes.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks again. My next upgrade will definitely be another coil. I plan to put the 10" from the Omega on the Delta. That should step it up a bit. I wish I could order one today but I have a few other priorities money wise. But I'll get one soon enough; when the time is right.

I still have my three BH machines. I need to get rid of those. I just can't see any reason to use them again. I know two kids who will probably want at least two of them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had less than an hour to hunt this evening but I had to at least try.
I went to my pounded colonial site. I've spent days and days there and have literally scoured every inch of the place. It's not very big; maybe 1/2 acre; if that.

So anyway I had very little time so I wasn't too meticulous. I was just kinda' sweeping around getting more of a feel for the new machine. The site is loaded with iron but while sweeping over a heavy iron area I heard that telltale high tone. I dug down and got a 1910 Wheatie in pretty horrible condition. It's actually my oldest Wheatie yet though. I'm too tired to post a pic but I'll get it up there eventually.

What impressed me was the fact that this machine was able to see it among the iron. The rest of the time I was just digging a few square nails, pull tabs and other junk to just practice with the machine. This site never did produce a huge number of targets, just a small number of really old ones.

I also have to say that what I've seen so far of the target ID seems pretty darn good. Of course it bounces around with can slaw and old nails but that's to be expected.
All in all, so far so good. I need to get to a good site when I have an entire day to spend.

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had less than an hour to hunt this evening but I had to at least try.
I went to my pounded colonial site. I've spent days and days there and have literally scoured every inch of the place. It's not very big; maybe 1/2 acre; if that.

So anyway I had very little time so I wasn't too meticulous. I was just kinda' sweeping around getting more of a feel for the new machine. The site is loaded with iron but while sweeping over a heavy iron area I heard that telltale high tone. I dug down and got a 1910 Wheatie in pretty horrible condition. It's actually my oldest Wheatie yet though. I'm too tired to post a pic but I'll get it up there eventually.

What impressed me was the fact that this machine was able to see it among the iron. The rest of the time I was just digging a few square nails, pull tabs and other junk to just practice with the machine. This site never did produce a huge number of targets, just a small number of really old ones.

I also have to say that what I've seen so far of the target ID seems pretty darn good. Of course it bounces around with can slaw and old nails but that's to be expected.
All in all, so far so good. I need to get to a good site when I have an entire day to spend.

My oldest wheat is also a 1910. I just recently found a 1945 and 1949 wheat in a very iron trashy site, disc at 16, (just enough to knock out most smaller nails) D3 mode and sens at 85. I often get a dime signal, and dig a nail...only to find the dime is still in the hole under the nail!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah those old rusty nails can really fool a detector. I usually dig them because as you said, you never know what may be hiding in the iron. Better to dig a little iron than leave treasure in the ground..

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah those old rusty nails can really fool a detector. I usually dig them because as you said, you never know what may be hiding in the iron. Better to dig a little iron than leave treasure in the ground..

The point I was making is I was not 'fooled'. I had no idea there WAS a nail in the hole, the disc knocked it out, but I still had a good dime high tone & solid ID#. I thought I was being "fooled" by the nail, but after digging the nail I re-scanned & still got the high tone. The dime was there in the same hole under the nail. The ability to ID a dime in the hole WITH a rusty nail is a great example of unmasking.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The point I was making is I was not 'fooled'. I had no idea there WAS a nail in the hole, the disc knocked it out, but I still had a good dime high tone & solid ID#. I thought I was being "fooled" by the nail, but after digging the nail I re-scanned & still got the high tone. The dime was there in the same hole under the nail. The ability to ID a dime in the hole WITH a rusty nail is a great example of unmasking.

That's great. It shows how well that machine can pick out the good stuff from the junk stuff and do it accurately. That's very impressive.
When I hit on that old Wheatie last night I was running with zero disc in an iron infested area. I do that frequently just to know what's down there. I always feel like my numbers are more accurate in zero disc as well.

That nice high tone could have easily been a highly oxidized nail but it rang out nice and loud in spite of the iron around it. I was SO hoping it was an old silver colonial coin but of course it wasn't. Either way, it showed me how well the Omega can pick out good targets even in trashy spots and that's a very impressive capability imo.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great. It shows how well that machine can pick out the good stuff from the junk stuff and do it accurately. That's very impressive.
When I hit on that old Wheatie last night I was running with zero disc in an iron infested area. I do that frequently just to know what's down there. I always feel like my numbers are more accurate in zero disc as well.

That nice high tone could have easily been a highly oxidized nail but it rang out nice and loud in spite of the iron around it. I was SO hoping it was an old silver colonial coin but of course it wasn't. Either way, it showed me how well the Omega can pick out good targets even in trashy spots and that's a very impressive capability imo.

Ok, the disc should not really affect the accuracy of VID, if I really don't want to not miss anything, I dismiss the ID#s a bit & dig only the solid tones. VID is generally less accurate than tones as the VID is based on round, coin sized objects that are lying flat in the ground. Odd shaped (jewelry, relics etc...) objects may not have solid VID (not being round) and look like trash by the numbers, (especially when circling target) but the tones usually will still stay solid. Oh, BTW I also dug my 1910 wheat with the Omega!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went out for a little while before dark and used the Omega again for maybe 90 minutes.

I dug up my first street car token from the United Railway & Electric Co., Baltimore MD; good for one fare. I also got another wheatie; a 1950. The token is really small and it was at least 7" deep. The Omega had no problem seeing it whatsoever. I'm very impressed. I'll get some pics up but probably not tonight. I'm exhausted.

I've been using the Delta steadily for a good year and a half now and feel like I know it extremely well. To me, the Omega is very similar. I already feel like I've been using it forever. It's real easy to slide right into. The numbers are the same and I'm running it in D3 for the most part; just like the Delta. The ID is definitely more accurate at deeper targets with the Omega but the basic platform is very similar. It's just a perfect fit for me. It's definitely one bad ass metal detector,

It's kinda' like going from an old Honda Civic to an Acura Legend. The platform is the same but the ride and the overall experience is WAY, WAY better. So to me, the Delta is the Civic, the Omega is that Acura, and it' definitely is a really sweet ride.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread