Did some air testing W/ upgraded T2 SE

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very unscientific.

I decided to run a couple tests just for fun.

I used a thicker 18k ladies band, a dug clad dime and dug clad quarter.

Suspended a piece of plywood away from metal and marked off a 14" section inch by inch.

I did this out in my garage and was losing daylight towards the end so some of the data is missing for the dime and quarter at the 95 sens setting.

Discriminate stayed at 55 for all tests.

First test was with sensitivity at a very stable/quiet 80 and then I reran test with a sensitivity set at a noisy but huntable 95.

I basically recorded the farthest distance from the coil that sounded good enough that I would probily dig.

I didn't test all settings 2a b c etc.

I guess the big surprise to me was how crappy FA was and how much farther boost and cache went.

4 seemed to do a hair better then 1,2,3 etc

I know these are all air tests and do not reflect what happens in the ground and this is just my particular T2 results, but I thought it might be interesting to some here, especially the increase in depth when cranked to 95.

screenshot-www%20treasurenet%20com%202016-03-29%2020-46-49_zpsowuuioam.jpg

Just for the heck of it I did a abbreviated test with my AT pro and I was very surprised with the results.

I ran it wide open, no discrim & all sens bars, so it might not be fair to compare to the T2 results, but still it got farther then I thought it would.

18k= 11" ( my avatar ring) .25 clad=10" and the clad dime hit 8-9"

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you took some time to document your test. I use the F75 LTD SE, I normally run mine at 65 to 75" sensitivity, it still goes deep. I normally disc out iron (1-19) on mine (1-40 on the T2). The more times I grid a site, the less disc I use.

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I may try it again with much lower disc and see if it changes the results.

I been running mine in boost mode or #3 with high 80's sens, adjusting discrim based on what site I am at.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Programs 1 through dp are all basically the same program with the only changes being the types/# of tones you hear based on target type, correct? Trying to correspond the programs to the F75 (where I have more run time) where you set up the tones somewhat independent of the program type (e.g., default, jewelry, FA, BP, and Cache). Based on that I would correspond 1 through dp on the T2 to roughly default on the F75. Makes sense that you would take a depth hit on the increased recovery time/target separation provided by FA, but it seems more severe than what I would expect. I have not done any quantitative testing like you have done, however. Do you have the DST mod? My T2 is in the shop post mod as the LCD failed shortly after I got it back from First Texas following getting the DST mod done.

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.... Do you have the DST mod? My T2 is in the shop post mod as the LCD failed shortly after I got it back from First Texas following getting the DST mod done.

Yes, I had DST done. I think it worked well too. I didn't depth test before and after but it seems to run quieter now with sens turned up.

FA mode really tanked the depth on my machine. But maybe 4-5" is better then nothing if your at a nail infested site?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I had DST done. I think it worked well too. I didn't depth test before and after but it seems to run quieter now with sens turned up.

FA mode really tanked the depth on my machine. But maybe 4-5" is better then nothing if your at a nail infested site?

Yeah, it might be worth the tradeoff but I am going to try to do some quantitative testing to determine the depth hit once I get my T2 back. May try it on my F75 as well. Very different internals despite the similarities in the interface, I will see if FA impacts depth on the F75 as much as the T2. Thanks for running the tests to point this out.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run mine at 91se-10dis-2 tones most all of the time and my test # are WAY higher and I havn't had it upgraded. my 2 cents..

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run mine at 91se-10dis-2 tones most all of the time and my test # are WAY higher and I havn't had it upgraded. my 2 cents..

I'll have to try it at 10 disc and see what the increase is.

How much is "way higher"?

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This scares me a on the upgrade. This not the first I've heard of less depth with the upgrade. My t2 se makes me extremely happy just like it is. I've never had the emi where I couldn't detect with what I consider better than average depth. There's quite a bit adjustability built in. A big one is gain connected to disc.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had my F75 ltd upgraded and felt it lost a little "horsepower"....but i could run it at higher sense levels and lower disc levels with a stable operation so i figured it was worth the trade. It really depends on the emi of your hunting sites....but the original had the potential to be more powerful i do believe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread