Thinking of upgrading from Delta 4000 to Omega 8500

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Omega 8500 is good mid-range detector and a logical incremental upgrade to the 4000, but other than GB adjustment (which may or may not be needed at your site) and unless you are getting the 11" DD coil vs. the std 10" coaxial (which ups the total price another $50 - $100) don't expect a huge increase in performance vs. the very capable 4000 with its 8" concentric (the coils should be swappable between the two detectors provided you have the newer screw on connector on your 4000 - my point is difference in coil performance between the 8" concentric vs. the 10" coaxial is increnental vs. the 8" and the 11" DD coil that I might consider paying the extra $$ for the 11" DD if the cost delta was less than the delta between the 11" and 10" coils if you bought them standalone, that way you will maximize the performance difference between your 4000 and the 8500). Also, I would get some swing HOURS in with the 8500 before hitting the site so you are not learning the 8500 on the site you only have one chance to hit. If you don't have the opportunity to get time on the 8500 before your site visit, bring your 4000 along as a backup and don't be adverse to pulling it out of the car if you are getting no joy on the 8500 (you shoukd bring the 4000 as a backup, regardless). Also, before you spring for a new 8500 look for any trusted, gently used 8500 or even 8000's out there (that's how I obtained my 8500 for cheap). The savings you get may be enough to go towards buying the 11" DD or a smaller third specialty/sniper accessory coil that you could use on either detector. Finally, you might ask for opinions as to whether it makes sense to consider a Tek T2 Classic which can be bought at $499 new and may get you an even bigger bump in performance vs. the 8500 though you cannot swap coils between the T2 and Delta because they operate at different frequencies (~7 khz for Tek greek series vs. ~14khz for the T2). Good luck.

Last edited:

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your also gain iron audio which is priceless to me. Many new features but the one negative seems to be the digital audio?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, forgot that 8500 brings iron audio to the equation too vs, 4000 which can be useful. The T2 Classic which I mentioned in my edited post above also has this feature, I believe (I know the T2 SE DST which I own, does).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Az Old Noob

Az Old Noob

Dec 28, 2007
Arizona
Thank you all for the advice and info.
Getting some time on the 8500 may be an issue, but I will try to. Different coils are going to have to wait a bit, but the ability to interchange between the 4000 and 8500 is a big reason I am looking at the 8500 instead of the T2. I'm a bit old school and don't quite understand all the newer tech yet, so I try to stay with simple. I like simple.
I love my 4000 and wouldn't dream of leaving it behind.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really can't go wrong with those two tek greek detectors. Keeping it "in the family" so to speak , is a good plan. If you can't get much pre swing time with the Omega, is not a deal breaker because it is still a cinch to operate, its just that the tones sound more "digital" vs. the Delta (or even compared the 8000).

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went from the Delta to the Omega 8000 recently and I doubt I'll ever look back. I still love the Delta but I'm IN love with the Omega.

The great thing is that you'll slide right into using it because it's like a really high end version of the Delta. If you know the Delta well you'll be digging up targets with the the Omega in a very short time. Took me about 5 minutes (if that). They feel very similar. I found five silvers in three short hunts in spots I swung my Delta over for more than a year.

It's a great machine. If you like your Delta you'll LOVE the Omega. It's like the Delta on steroids.

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vterrari is spot on. The 8500 using the same coils as the Delta is a great idea to buy an 8500. The 8500 gives you so much more control over Arizona's soil than the Delta, not to mention the "deep" option. In areas unexplored, you'll want the extra abilities the 8500 brings to the table.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread