Omega 8000 gets some gold!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decided to try a middle school about 10 miles from me, the schools these days have such little grassy areas, but this one had a good spot that people had to at least walk across to get from the school to the bus/parking lot area. I had Omega mounted with the 5" DD NEL Sharp coil, liking this coil more and more. The pinpointing is so precise, no need to use PP mode much, and the separation and sensitivity to small objects are both very impressive. I dug a couple of the quarters and dimes, then got a solid nickel tone, ID locking basically 58, changing to 57 only when circling the target. Seemed solid like a nickel but the nickels rarely ID's above a 58 on the Omega, especially at shallow depths. About 3-4" down I found the gold heart locket. I just tested it a few days ago and surprisingly it was 14kt, but only weighs 1.1 grams. It all ads up though right? HH, Scott

Attachments

• 14 kt heart.jpg
    14 kt heart.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 140

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find!!Thanks for shareing.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh yeah. The Omega is sweet.
And yes, it DOES add up. A little here a little there and before you know it the box begins to start feeling kinda' heavy.

So far I haven't hit solid gold with the Omega; just a couple of plated items and a few silvers. Otoh, I've been hunting some pretty unusual sites lately (without much luck btw) where I haven't really expected gold. When I get back to some sports fields I have no doubt the Omega will sniff out any gold that's lying around.

Congrats on your 14K. Gold is ALWAYS a sweet find regardless of how it shows up.

*****UPDATE*****
Since my original post I've gotten two gold rings with the Omega; one 10K class ring and a nice 14K men's band with 3 (very) small diamonds.

The Omega doesn't seem to miss much....

Last edited:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice going to the gold locket! Solid non-bouncy numbers in the gold range always puts a smile on my face. Big Congrats!

tabman

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! Yes Tab, this was one of those sweet sounding ones, a bit high on the ID as nickels never hit above 57 for me, unless deeper and then they bounce more too. It would have also been bouncy on a pulltab when circling the target, so I had a good feeling on this one. It motivates me to investigate some more schools for sure.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys! Yes Tab, this was one of those sweet sounding ones, a bit high on the ID as nickels never hit above 57 for me, unless deeper and then they bounce more too. It would have also been bouncy on a pulltab when circling the target, so I had a good feeling on this one. It motivates me to investigate some more schools for sure.

School fields are fantastic places to find jewelry. Hit those soccer field sidelines really hard. I've had some great luck that way; including an 18K band.
Talk about a smile on your face.

I found another 10K class ring on my first hunt this year with the Delta. It was a rock solid 58 at maybe 4 inches down lying pretty flat; right in the pulltab/can slaw range. But, a few other small deep gold rings have bounced all over the place; one from iron all the way to the silver range so keep that in mind. That 10K can really bounce around depending on what alloys are in the mix. You never TRULY know what's there until you dig it up an look at it. The eyes are the only infallible discrimination.

Another time I found a plain 14K wedding band that was a solid 59. That was after digging nothing but pull tabs for a solid hour. I had already told myself that this was the last hole and I got really lucky. Those "pull tab" signals can turn out to be gold at any given time. It's a pain sometimes but it does pay off in the long run if you're willing to keep digging that trash.

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bummer is, in this area not many sports fields are accessible at the schools, as they are all inside gates. If you are lucky there is some grass between the parking areas and the locked gates. Bummer because I have found $60 plus in clad, a silver/cz necklace at a a school right down the street, but I cannot get any access to the inside perimeter where all the sports/play activity happens. My last gold (7.6 gram 14 kt mens bracelet) was found at a park at the basketball courts. Likely slid off (or flew off) someone's sweaty wrist. I always try to hit the soccer fields at parks, there are many adult soccer leagues/players in the area. I tend to waste a lot of time getting skunked in dusty fields where a home existed 90 years ago. Hoping for
the elusive socal silver...lol

Last edited:

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great save on that locket! I have a place in mind that has "re-seeded" for several months and I think tonight is the night to hit some soccer-field sidelines! Foil, nickel and pulltab signals are key! 8-)

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bummer is, in this area not many sports fields are accessible at the schools, as they are all inside gates. If you are lucky there is some grass between the parking areas and the locked gates. Bummer because I have found $60 plus in clad, a silver/cz necklace at a a school right down the street, but I cannot get any access to the inside perimeter where all the sports/play activity happens. My last gold (7.6 gram 14 kt mens bracelet) was found at a park at the basketball courts. Likely slid off (or flew off) someone's sweaty wrist. I always try to hit the soccer fields at parks, there are many adult soccer leagues/players in the area. I tend to waste a lot of time getting skunked in dusty fields where a home existed 90 years ago. Hoping for
the elusive socal silver...lol

Yeah, they're starting to gate quite a few of the fields here these days too. All of the new schools are doing it. I had my eye on one in particular last fall and last time I passed by it had a huge fence, a LOCKED gate and "no trespassing" signs (on "public" property). Guess I should have hit that one when I had the chance. Oh well.

The field that's produced the most treasure for me so far is actually an old abandoned ball field so keep that in mind. You may be able to locate some sites where people used to play and hit some older treasure. I've gotten three gold class rings from the 70's in that spot plus tons of other stuff. It's been my best producing site as far as overall numbers and variety go. Sadly, it's getting pretty hunted out but I'm happy that I'm the one who got to hunt it. I don't know if anyone else ever hunted the spot other than a few kids kids I've taken there myself a few times. We call it the "treasure field" because until lately you almost always walked away with something.

I'm leaving it alone for a while at this point. It's amazing that other items can sometimes appear in a "hunted out" site after some time and weather. The ground is WAY more fluid than it appears. It's always in motion; especially after some serious rain.

I still feel like there's more hiding down there but it needs the time to make itself visible to my machines. I found a 1974 10K class ring there earlier this year in a spot I KNOW I've swung over 100 times without a peep. It's amazing how that works. I also found a few cool old silver religious medals the same way. I'm hoping maybe by the fall something else will show up.

But just keep swinging and digging. Like I always say; it's a numbers game. The more you dig the luckier you get and the more trash you dig the more gold you'll eventually find.
Good luck and HH.....

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Good tip about the sports fields. I'm sure I can locate a few here in north Orange County!
Best of luck out there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions