T2 vs AT Pro

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks my ATP just died on me and theres no more warranty for it. I was thinking on getting the 2T as my other MD. Just give me your thought on how these 2 compare. Forget the part about the ATP being amphibian. Though by my own expirience Ive learned that the Garrett is not so amphibian after all. But thats another story.... Just trying to compare these 2 machines for land hunts.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were starting from scratch today, the T2 Classic for $499 is the one I'd grab.

Buy it from a dealer though, it's probably one of the most pirated detectors out there.

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta maintain the seals, o rings, etc, no matter which brand. Good luck with the next detector.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The opportunity to get the T2 at this price will not last forever.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The T2 is the best balanced machine I ever held (as is the omega) It is already very lightweight anyway.
It can be ran in single tone like a Tesoro and just using enough disc to knock out small nails for a dig all relic type hunt. The 2 tone zero disc setup is very good at unmasking targets in iron. One thing I found meat was nickels high tone in 4T mode. The pinpoint toggle switch is my favorite type switch. It is a true workhorse of a machine!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love my T2 SE DST as a backup to my Fisher F75 for relic and coinshooting old sites. Be aware however, that unlike the Teknetics Greek Series detectors and the very similer F75, the T2 does is not compatible with any concentric/coaxial accessory coils, if that matters to you. I would definitely consider the T2 classic recommended previously unless EMI is a concern where you hunt (you will pay a $200 - $300 premium for the EMI shielded T2 DST). Otherwise, I would consider contacting First Texas directly to see if the have any Tek Omega 8000's left for sale. Great bargain at less than $400 as FT is dumping 8000 stock after having released the "upgraded" Omega 8500. A number of T-net users prefer the 8000 vs. the 8500 and I think the 8000 at that price point may outperform an AT Pro and it is more EMi resistant than the T2 classic. Good luck on whatever you choose.

Last edited:

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at a club hunt Saturday in the Ponderosa pine forests near Flagstaff AZ. Former lumber camp. The ground was littered with pieces of flat rusted iron from various kinds of boxes and other sheet metal. Scattered all around were also lots of conbles of some kind of volcanic hot rocks that tended to reall drive detectors crazy. Everyone was complainimg that they had to dial their sensitivity way down and still got an ear bashing.

i was using a brand new Omega 8000 I just bought direct from Teknetics for $375. It was silent on the hot rocks and although big pie es of the rusty sheet metal gave some high tone sqwaks, the iron grunt and large size in pinpoint gave them away.

The Omega 8000 is currently closing out at $375 direct from Teknetics if you order direct - I think Rubi is the Marketing person to talk to.

Feel free to mention my name if they ask where you heard the price.

Rick Kempf

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The newer T2 classics are very EMI stable. First Texas hasn't confirmed or denied that the newer Classics have DST those that have compared older vs newer ones say they are definitely more stable to emi.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feature wise, would the T2 be a better performer than the Omega 8000?

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T2 is likely deeper, probably a better relic machine. The Omega is more stable with tighter id, especially for coins. My opinion of the T2, however, is second hand, I have never had one.

one other note, the T2 can only use dd coils.

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love relic hunting, coin shooting but lately I'm also doing some gold prospecting too. I saw this very interesting video on the T2 LTD. It detects small gold nuggets! So that means the T2 could be used a s a gold prospecting machine? Check out this link! One question. Could the T2 classic be as sensitive on gold nuggets like the LTD version?
https://youtu.be/KcjgCPVXA2I

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta maintain the seals, o rings, etc, no matter which brand. Good luck with the next detector.

No seals to deal with on T2. It is not a waterproof detector. It is a land machine. From all I have read, the T2 is definitely the better machine & at least the display is visible, lol.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never owned an ATpro, but did own an ATgold. The thing didn't hold a candle to the T2!!! I hunt with several buddies that have ATpro and I ALWAYS come out ahead. Just sayin...

NW Digger

Oct 14, 2012
Mason, Ohio (moved from wa)
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, White's XLT, GTI 2500, Ace 250, Titan 2000xd, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been swinging an at pro and a white's XLT... Just traded the XLT for a barley used T2 with the stock coil and the 5".... Happy to see everyone talking so great about the t2, can wait to fire this thing up!

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I would like to know is that if the T2 classic is as sensitive to small pieces of gold like the LTD? The thing is that what I saw on the T2 LTD video amazed me to the point of getting the machine. But if the Classic version is as good as the LTD getting small gold then I would get the cheaper Classic edition.

NW Digger

Oct 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I would like to know is that if the T2 classic is as sensitive to small pieces of gold like the LTD? The thing is that what I saw on the T2 LTD video amazed me to the point of getting the machine. But if the Classic version is as good as the LTD getting small gold then I would get the cheaper Classic edition.

I have a few small pickers... When I get home later I will try em out and let ya know.

NW Digger

Oct 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool sounds great and thanx!! So yours is the Classic or LTD?

Just picked up a classic... Traded my XLT for it [emoji50]

I ran a few tiny pickers it took 3, about the size of a ball point pin to hit steady at 3-4"
I just held them between my pointer finger and thumb, wouldn't hit 1 or 2 but 3 was definitely something I would look for...

Now all of it wasn't scientific lol and I'm a relic and coin shooter - not a prospector, and NEW to the T2, but have detected over a decade and do fairly well, I have been out in the gold field a few times have found a couple lil nuggets, but a total rookie out there. [emoji12] but it does seem pretty dang sensitive to small targets.

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://youtu.be/39gd7pqqpPc
This is exactly what I wanted to see! I saw the response on a LTD now the Classic! Not bad at all! I still haven't decided to get the Classic or LTD.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions