Question Regarding Saltwater Beach Settings on the T2 SE

adh247

Oct 30, 2007
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Special Edition
I live by the beach, and i tend to go there to so some detecting, but i find that obviously Auto GB is out of the question, but even a lot of the times in just the sand, my machine goes crazy! I feel like i have tried numerous settings, but to no avail. If i want to go near the wet set, i would have to turn the Ground Balance all the way to ZERO and keep it in all metal mode, which still gives me the slight hum, but i feel like i am missing a lot of depth this way. I feel like i am missing something, especially for even the dry sand when it tends to go off too much. In all metal mode, it will seem a bit loud and all over the place regardless of what settings im trying to use, and in Discrimination mode i feel like i am getting many false readings. Can anyone lend me a hand as to what they use for beach settings and what to expect as far beach settings Dry and Wet? An example of what you man have used that is tried and true would help greatly as well. Now we are talking Florida Atlantic Ocean beach sand here for those curious as i know all conditions matter. Thanks in advance guys! ~TH~

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bad machine for wet saltwater sand. Drop your sensitivity to around 25% and set your discrim at just above iron. Keep your coil an inch OFF the wet sand.

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
good luck i am havin the same problem on land and sea, beginning to hate the machine way too many settings totally unstable past 50 sens digging targets doesnt lock on to any targets unless there on top of the ground i dont bother diggin any targets unless its 78 or above. Will find iron screws at 10 inches no problem. I am in the BOSTON area se

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
A long time ago a hunter named tinfoil figured out setting to use his F75 on bad saltwater black sand beaches.
Many have tried them since this was posted in 2007, many said they worked for them, too.
You can duplicate all these settings on your T2, I assume the threshold setting on the F75 correlates to the Hum feature on yours.

G/B to 0 run sen. at 80 max, threshold to -1 freq at 7 and run it in all metal...then practice, practice, practice.

------------------------
I been hunting a black sand salt water beach for the last month and 6 months ago I hunted it for 3 straight weeks and 1 week in Daytona.

The F75 is the only single freq. I have that will hunt this beach. My Fisher's CZ20, CZ6A, CZ3D, CZ70 won't even G/B on this beach there is so much black sand here. Just have to turn the G/B knob to 10 and hunt away. My 6000XLpro will hunt but not that much depth 8" max even in SAT mode.The Xterra 70 won't, even with the beach mode on. MXT won't hunt and it has a salt sw.,ID X cell won't. ID edge won't, 250 won't, Shadow X5 won't and it has a beach mode. The Fo iron and mineralization indicator on my F75 runs anywhere from .01 which is min. to 3 which is max. Just depends on how much black sand there is. Then it is layered most of the time.

The higher up in the sand the worse it is.The F75 will work right down at the waters edge and even in the salt water. Even up high where that black sand peggs out the Fo indicator it will hunt but you get more ground flutter and more of a wherring flutter but you can still get good targets deep.

I have dug down 10 to 12"s on coins and the med sized pull tabs. The Id numbers do drop some the deeper you go and at 11 and 12"s you will only get the Zip Zip on the good targets. The iron will pop on the big stuff like a POW. It gives a bada on small iron and a baaaa on the med sized pieces of iron. After you hunt with it a while in all metal you will get used to it and you can swing fast and can cover a lot of beach. It will hunt fast just like the dirt and you don't have to hunt slow like the M/L's. Your ID and depth wont be as good as the Multi Freq machines but when you get right down to it, at the beach you are going to dig everything above 0 any way. The more corroded the coins the more the numbers will very. I hate Zincs but even after a month and three weeks on this bad a$$ beach I can tell if it is a corroded Zinc just by the bad numbers. The good thing is the numbers don't jump around much on pulltabs ,gold, and foil, nickle targets.

The biggest problem on this beach with all the single freq. detectors I have tested is all the small iron and med sized pieces that cause eveyone of the single freq. detectors in the Dis. mode to give a false high ID number indications. Even the F75 won't hunt in Dis. Mode. None of the others ID in all metal other then the 6000XLPRO and like I said I could only get 8" out of it in Sat. mode.

The only problem I had was shutting up the ground flutter to where the machine ran pretty quite without all the wherring and chippy audio from the salt water, and black sand. I cured that by changing the freq to F7 and running the threshole at a -1 instead of 0 in all metal and run the sen. at 80, G/B at 0. Above 80 it got a little chippy.. You just have to remember to reset your Freq. when you turn your detector off and then back on cause, it returns to F5 when you turn it off and of coarse put it back in all metal. It is excellent on the small stuff and the gold. You can't touch the sand because it will false but you will even be able to know that by the type of false it will make. Hell,with my Se with the stock coil,joey coil,Platypuss coil, the machine will false when I touch the sand. The 10X14 Excellerator coil and the new 6" excellerator don't false and I can drag them on the sand. M/L needs to put the Excellerator coils on instead of the slimline. Although my GT don't false. :shrug: .

I know this was a long one but, the F75 will hunt on the worst black sand beach I ever hunted on and this one is worse then hunting on Galveston TX. Beach. If I can ever figuar out how to post pictures I took some of this beach over here. BTW I have hunted Galveston too and the F75 preformed just as good. I hunted some of the black sand places in Daytona also. So it ain't like I have just hunted this beach.

Now will the F75 out preform the GT, Fishers, The Explorers in ID and depth. Of coarse not. Will it give them a real run for there money. You damn right it will and it will find gold and small stuff, and it will find it deep. I have not counted all the coins yet and I have thrown a heck of a lot of Zincs away. Did I say I hate Zincs??? Between the nice Heart shaped 20 diamond ring and this nice 1/2kt diamond markee with 5 small diamonds on each side of the ring the F75 just with those two have paid for itself and that is what it is all about. My sweetie loves them both.

Ok so now let me make it real clear. Yes the F75 will hunt the wet salt sand beaches but, more then likley you will have to G/B to 0 run sen. at 80 max, threshold to -1 freq at 7 and run it in all metal. I do hope some of you really put some time at the beach with the F75 and enjoy it as much as I do. F75:inlove: for me and I hope it will be for you to. You might have to play around with your set up but mine will get you off to a good start. Just spend the time to learn it and you will see what I am talking about. :D: :D: HH Later Jerry aka Tinfoil

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
good luck i am havin the same problem on land and sea, beginning to hate the machine way too many settings totally unstable past 50 sens digging targets doesnt lock on to any targets unless there on top of the ground i dont bother diggin any targets unless its 78 or above. Will find iron screws at 10 inches no problem. I am in the BOSTON area se

Do a reset and start again, sounds like yours is way too unstable and a reset will fix it.
50 on the sense is way higher than 50%, all the sense settings are higher than you might believe.
Even a sense setting under 10 or even down to 1 with the thresh in the positive numbers can get way deep and should be quiet.
There are a million ways to set this thing to work better than what you are experiencing, there is iron behavior that can tell you what it is pretty accurately even down deep like that most of the time.
You just haven't learned this stuff...yet.
Don't give up, so many have before but there is logic and a method to all that madness...it can be tamed if you set your mind to it and find the right settings for you.

OP
OP
adh247

adh247

Oct 30, 2007
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Wow you just basically explained exactly how ive been setting it up! Everything but changing the frequency to F7. I've GB to zeroand set sens to about 70-80, Threshold to -1so I need to try changing the frequency to F7 and give it a shot. It works this way but I just felt there way a way I didnt k ow about or something. Plus I was worried about losing a lot of depth. Thanks so much for the info! Cheers!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Yes, I am not sure why that frequency setting is important but it seems to be.
Learning to hunt this way and be successful might take a little work but if it makes you successful worth it.
Learning to hunt in crazy amounts of iron it took me several hours figuring it out, changing to some crazy settings, learning some not so obvious behavior and a different language than usual but I did exactly that.
As I got better and better I found more and more in sites that others could not figure out.
Now I have skills that I will be able to use the rest of my life .
Same with this so go for it.

OP
OP
adh247

adh247

Oct 30, 2007
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Thanks so much for the suppoetan. I really do appreciate that!

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks for the info.sens settings are decieving,most would think loss of the depth would incur,not really the case,waiting for the net winter storm to try your settings

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread