T2 settings for civil war relic hunting in wooded areas

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on the area...farm land...river bed....plains...rocky terrain...sandy....etc etc.... There are so many ways and methods to dig a relic site no two answer will be alike. Some guys will All Metal it to death and do perfect grid patterns...others will try to cherry pick it never to return. Some will go dig top layer trash first then go for the deep stuff after that.

You can set disc to 10-20 to get rid of most nails but still get larger iron....40 to get rid of all iron. Not that "all" iron is ever eliminated. You will get round iron and washers that ring up like silver. Just have to deal with it for the most part.

I would dig anything above 40 myself at any relic site. I prefer 3 tones myself...but many prefer 2+.

I'll assume not much EMI if any....so 80-90 sens should be attainable unless in nasty soil or a hot rock infested area. Best of luck at it.

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run 2 plus on tones and disc out iron. dig everything above iron. Run sens up as high as you can. Have fun!!

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a T2 Classic and concentrate on relic hunting. I'll usually keep my disc at around 10-20 and dig everything. Even though I pick up the iron, Colonial , Rev War and Civil War era sites can yield some pretty cool finds. One of my favorite areas to hunt I did dial it up above 40. It was an old railroad road bed and I was just worn out from digging old railroad spikes all day!

Because the areas I detect have a pretty good variety of soil types I have to adjust my Sens up or down some depending on the area. I usually can't go above 90 without getting some false targets, especially in our red clay areas. Usually I keep it at around 80-85. I'd strongly recommend rechecking your ground balance if you you notice you're digging in a different soil type then where you originally set it. I average 40-50 range on GB in most areas but have run into some places that it finally balanced as high as low 70's. I also run 2+ tones.

I'll freely admit I haven't been running any all metal modes yet in the field due to my inexperience with the machine. I'm still getting that side of it figured out, playing around with it around the yard. If anyone responds to your request with tips/info on that mode..I'm all ears too!

Last edited:

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm thinking about buying a T2 how are you liking it?

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
2+ is tone one tone Low Growl for Iron.... and another Tone High Squeal for Non Ferrous = the good stuff sometimes !
Gary

flinger

Nov 8, 2017
Burnet, Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknectics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2+... or bent nails, pull tabs, bottle caps. I run 2+ as well but your still going to dig junk but take the junk with you so you or the next person doesn't have to dig it again. I dig junky areas though, I would love to have a place to hunt that I don't get a signal every inch.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If littered with iron I'd do 2 tone. If a little cleaner all metal mode.

Last edited:

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
I'm thinking about buying a T2 how are you liking it?

I have been using the T2 SE for about five years now, I love it. I just bought a second one for a backup!

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
After ground balancing the detector, how would you set it up for this kind of hunt? How many times?

Thanks everyone.

I personally set it at Disc-5, Sensitivity-80+, BP mode for the extra depth. Depending on the soil conditions you may want to run your sensitivity lower 60 and up. This is a great machine and I would suggest not canceling any iron as the good stuff is IN with the iron.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions