Delta 4000 price point and battery question

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got back into the hobby yesterday by purchasing a Delta 4000 at my local Bass Pro Shop. I started with the obligatory BH (Land Star) then later I purchased a Tesoro Vaquero' from Woodland Detectors through this site.
Overall I am pleased with the many glowing reviews on the 4000 but as I scrolled through the forum I saw there were three coil wire connector styles on this detector, mine being the push-on type with single 1/4 phone jack.
I paid $279.00 + tax for this detector. Did I buy new old stock at a premium price? I'm seeing other posts where people were paying less than $150.00 for the same machine at Walmart and some who have replied to those posts suggest they got it for a song because they might have been the earlier versions.

Secondly, why can't I use heavy duty 9v batteries? I did not have a 9v alkaline battery so I did stick a HD type in for only a few minutes to turn it on and perform the quick start demo then took it out in my front yard where I promptly dug an old beaver tail pull tab.

Gamma Joe

Jan 24, 2015
NE Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett GTI2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't worry, you got a good price.

The Delta went through several versions of internal upgrades, like the rest of the Greek series, getting better with each one. If you got a new one, you have the best of them.

About the batteries ... The so-called "heavy duty" batteries are _not_ heavy duty at all. That "heavy duty" label is just a sales gimmick. They are just plain old-fashioned lead-zinc batteries. They are cheaper than alkalines, but they do not last as long. The alkalines maintain their voltage longer and it decays at a slower rate. You get what you pay for. Just use the alkalines like the detector manufacturers say, and you won't go wrong.

Hoping it's helpful.

Joe

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Helpful, yes, especially concerning the correct battery and I will be looking for alkaline 9v batteries after work today.
Considering that mine is the push in connector with single 1/8" phone jack, which by most accounts has been identified as the earliest version, i still feel I purchased the early, unimproved version and yes it was 'brand new' at Bass Pro.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think maybe you have the latest production variant of this detector. The push-on coil connector has no locking ring and has male pins - mating with a female connector on the control box. The "screw-on" connector is a female connector mating with a male connector on the control box. This "screw-on" connector actually pushes on, but has a locking ring which you screw down once the connector is pushed on fully.

here's a link with pictures

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/teknetics/347450-delta-4000-dd-11-coil.html

concerning the price - the,amount you paid is the current Minimum Advertised Price. The walMart $150 price from a couple of years back was probably a screw-up on their part and I believe was quickly withdrawn.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine has the push in connector with NO locking ring and female connection on control body and is identical to the one shown on post #9 of the link you posted. My Tesoro Vaquero had the screw on locking ring so I'm quite familiar with that setup. This Delta also has the 1/4" phone jack only.
Could this be a version #4?

Last edited:
OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20170131_111259.jpg
Sorry about the fuzzy picture I had to reverse the camera in order to get it to a size that this website allows.
You can almost plainly see the push in style connector and the 1/4" headphone jack.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just spoke with a representative at Teknetics who informed me that there are now 4 variants of this detector. Push in connectors with 1/4" phone jacks are fairly recent and are sold through sporting goods stores only. Screw in type with two phone jacks are available through Web outlets like Amazon and eBay.
Mystery solved.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Regardless of the current features you have a great little detector. I upgraded to an Omega last year but I'll never part with my Delta. For the money it's a great machine with incredible DEPTH capabilities.
Should pay for itself in no time if you consistently use it...

oh and stick with the alkaline batteries. They work better and last longer. It's worth the extra buck or whatever. Besides, the Delta has incredible battery life and you only need one so overall it's really cheap to operate.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread