Greenie
Mar 14, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, brand-new here.

I need to get a smaller coil for my Teknetics T2, all the places I hunt are very trashy.

I'm looking at the NEL Sharp Shooter, and the CORS Shrew. I'd like the larger sharp shooter, for covering more ground, and depth, but I'm concerned that it won't have much of a separation advantage over the stock 11"DD.

Anyways, which would you get, the bigger sharp shooter or the tiny shrew?

Thanks,

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the F75 (T2 cousin) and am very impressed with the optional 5"DD coil. It has amazing depth for it's size. I also have a sharpshooter coil for most sites. Sorry I have never used an aftermarket sniper coil, so I can't comment on the one you mentioned.

OP
OP
nate77

nate77

Greenie
Mar 14, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, the 5" DD is on my list too, they all cost about the same.

Which coil would you mount up for a very trashy area, the 5", or the sharp shooter? How much of an advantage does the 5" have over the sharp shooter in trash.

Thanks for your help.

By the way, my backup detector is a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro; I have the 4" Ultra coil for it. I only get 2 to 3 inches of depth when that coil is mounted, so I'm leaning towards the bigger sharp shooter, unless it isn't much of an improvement over the stock 11"DD.

Puma

Greenie
Mar 19, 2017
Washington
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have all three of the coils you mention. Unfortunately, I just got the Nel Sharpshooter this winter, and I'm just now seeing enough ground to think about using it! I have done some testing with it in my basement, comparing it to the stock coil.

Like you I mostly hunt in very trashy areas. Nothing in my area dates before about 1890, mostly a few decades after that and more recent. Lots of iron. Also, very little deposition in my area, so most targets are very shallow.

I rarely use the 5" coil. I think it is very good at sniping, but I quickly get frustrated at how little ground it covers. If you have a focused area to swing it's great. 2 acres of ground and your arm will fall off.

The Nel seemed to be a good compromise between the 5" and the stock 11". Tests in my basement (aka, not the real world) suggest that it is a little better than the stock coil at picking out good targets among trash. But not so much that it blew me away. In the next month or so I hope to get out and do some testing on real ground.

At this point, I'm not convinced it was worth laying out $100 for the Nel. My impression is the stock coil is actually pretty good. If you can stand the racket, I've had some of my best luck hunting in all metal (non-discrim) and listening for the good signals amidst all the iron.

OP
OP
nate77

nate77

Greenie
Mar 14, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree, the 11" DD isn't bad, I put it in 3 tones, with a discrimination of 10, and only pick out the high tones, and only dig the ones that are repeatable.

In my trashy places it would be impossible to dig everything.

Thanks for your help, maybe I'll just keep an eye out for a good deal on a smaller coil, and pick one up then.

OP
OP
nate77

nate77

Greenie
Mar 14, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The more I read, the more I'm leaning towards just getting the SharpShooter.

Anyone have a suggestion on where to buy?

Thanks,

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you one thing, the 5" dd is a KILLER!!!!! If you do any field hunting that is corn stalks it's a dream to swing... I have a 10x5 dd you could try if you like.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, the 11" DD isn't bad, I put it in 3 tones, with a discrimination of 10, and only pick out the high tones, and only dig the ones that are repeatable.

In my trashy places it would be impossible to dig everything.

Thanks for your help, maybe I'll just keep an eye out for a good deal on a smaller coil, and pick one up then.

You should try 2+ tones, I'm guessing you're missing some good targets if high tones are all you're digging.

OP
OP
nate77

nate77

Greenie
Mar 14, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should try 2+ tones, I'm guessing you're missing some good targets if high tones are all you're digging.

I'm sure I'm missing good stuff like gold, and masked silver. I use 2+ when I'm not in super trashy areas, full of shredded aluminum cans, and pull-tabs.

What part of Indiana are you from?

Thanks for your help.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm live a lil' south of Greensburg, Whereabouts are you? I most DEF would hunt in 2+ in very trashy areas, listen how smooth the signal is and watch the #'s...

OP
OP
nate77

nate77

Greenie
Mar 14, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm about 15 miles north of Kokomo.

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a video from relics1864 on YouTube that shows the shrew on a t2.
Might help your decision.

Noah

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get the NEL Sharpshooter search coil. It's the best all round search coil. It handles EMI great, it gets good depth and separates well. I use it on most all of my detectors.

tabman

OP
OP
nate77

nate77

Greenie
Mar 14, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get the NEL Sharpshooter search coil. It's the best all round search coil. It handles EMI great, it gets good depth and separates well. I use it on most all of my detectors.

tabman

Thanks,

I've pretty much settled on the Sharpshooter, I just need to pull the trigger.

Also, thanks for the information on EMI, my T2 is an older one, and I do sometime have EMI trouble, if the smaller coil helps with that problem too, it will be a win win.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread