A Day with the Omega

Gamma Joe

Jan 24, 2015
NE Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett GTI2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doing some curb strips with the Omega (version 6).

The coins are clad, but they'll buy a new battery.

The button is bronze with a "mother-of-pearl" inlay. The men's ring is .925 silver. The large piece looks like a jumbo earring (just cosmetic).

Also came up with a copper ferrule and a TV cable attenuator.

A good day, all the way.

Joe

Picture_01 001.jpg Picture_01 002.jpg

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go Joe.....congrats on a good day.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bet that button has a threaded end on the bottom. I believe it is from a band instrument like a trumpet or other brass instrument. I dug plenty of them behind an old high school.

OP
OP
G

Gamma Joe

Jan 24, 2015
NE Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bet that button has a threaded end on the bottom. I believe it is from a band instrument like a trumpet or other brass instrument. I dug plenty of them behind an old high school.

Yes, you called it perfectly. It has the threaded end, and now I know where it came from. Somebody must have been surprised when he went to play his trumpet and found that part missing.

Thanks to you for the good heads-up.

Cheers,

Joe

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No nickels, Joe? Darn those things are hard to find. I find Q 2 to 1 over N. Low conductor I guess.

OP
OP
G

Gamma Joe

Jan 24, 2015
NE Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No nickels, Joe? Darn those things are hard to find. I find Q 2 to 1 over N. Low conductor I guess.

I had nickels discriminated out. Just too many darned pulltabs in the area where I was detecting.

Sometimes I leave nickels "on", and found a nice 1911 V in a park a couple of months ago. Other times I leave them "off", preferring to spend the time covering more ground searching for the silver, instead of stopping at nickel signals and getting pulltabs.

If I were at an old home site, for sure the nickels setting would be "on". At the public parks, and on the curb strips in some neighborhoods, there are tons of pulltabs. Folks must have spent a lot of these hot Florida evenings standing around with cold beers.

Cheers,

Joe

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if I could ever bring myself to notch out pull tabs. Besides nickels, you are also notching out small gold jewelry. Great finds though, including that ring. It's amazing what is hanging out in curb strips.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't use my Omega as much as i wanted but i have to say, never had a detector where the numbers on the display where spot on for coins. Fabulous coin machine.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you wanna find gold don't notch out those pull tabs and nickels. Dig 'em all up and eventually you'll get some nice surprises; usually when you're REALLY sick and tired of digging trash. You could passing right over some really nice finds. Based on what you did find, if it were me I would go back and double check the spot with no disc.

The Omega is a great gold and silver sniffing machine. Might as well use it to it's full potential.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread