Cashed in Some Coins

Gamma Joe

Jan 24, 2015
NE Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett GTI2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After detecting, everything gets cleaned. The vintage, silver and "collectible" coins get saved. These are the leftovers.

2017_clad_01.jpg

Today they got cashed in, and dumped into the CoinMaster sorter. Total of $10.87 in cash, coming back.

They're about half and half from the Garrett GTI2500 and the Teknetics Omega 8000. Plenty enough for a banana split, cuppa coffee, and new batteries.

The CoinMaster rejected another 27 coins because they were too chewed up. Some are bent, others are cut.

Question: What do you do with coins like that?

Cheers,

Joe

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Question: What do you do with coins like that?

I guess we're all accumulating piles of those rejects, I certainly have mine.

Maybe we should re-seed some of our spots so others can find them and wonder what to do with them?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I put them back in the Coin Master reject tray-next time I'm there. Don...

That's a pretty good idea, but it might get them into checking the reject tray more often than you do :(

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I toss them in bigwavedaves yard

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spend mine at convenience stores for junk food....they accept them unanimously.....

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Bent coins, I straighten. Clad cents are the only ones that get nasty and they go in the trash. They didn't cost me anything.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the idea of planting them somewhere............in fact my brother complains about not finding anything, perhaps I should hid them in front of him the next time we are out hunting? :dontknow: :laughing7:

Corben

Jul 9, 2008
Sacramento
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000. V4
Garrett ATPro
I think..don't quote me though...banks are obligated to exchange those for face value. They then send them back to the federal reserve to be properly destroyed or maybe recycled.

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
https://www.frbservices.org/operations/currency/mutilated_currency_and_coin.html

Coin Procedures

Bent or partial coin is coin that has been bent or twisted out of shape, punched, clipped, plugged, fused, or defaced, but that can be identified as to genuineness and denomination. Bent or partial coin is not redeemable at face value; it is redeemable only at its bullion (metal) value as established by the Director of the U.S. Mint.

The Federal Reserve DOES NOT accept deposits of bent or partial coin. Bent or partial coin should be forwarded via 'Registered Mail, Return Receipt Requested' to the address below with documentation of the circumstances:

United States Mint
Independence Mall
P.O. Box 400
Philadelphia, PA 19105

OP
OP
G

Gamma Joe

Jan 24, 2015
NE Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett GTI2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cashed in some more today into the CoinStar sorter. $1.92 in the pocket (after CoinStar kept its 10 percent).

These are about half and half from the Garrett GTI2500 and Teknetics Omega 8000.

100_1139.JPG king_arthur.jpg

One thing I thought was a quarter, turned out to be an amusement park token for "King Arthur's Amusement Castle". I looked it up, and found that they used to be in Lawrenceville, New Jersey. It was found here in a park in Florida -- somebody had it in their pocket, from NJ to FL?

You never know what the next "beep" will bring, and you never stop learning new things. What a great hobby.

Cheers,

Joe

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spend mine at convenience stores for junk food....they accept them unanimously.....

What he said.

Just spend them. The quarters usually work in soda machines, gas station vacuum and air machines.
Hey it's free money. Might as well use it...

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I clean my coins and roll them throughout the year except for the pennies. Your bank will give you coin rolls for free. I have a hobby account in a different bank than where our family account is. I deposit them at the end of the season for upgrades and other hobby related expenses. The pennies are all I put through the coin star machine. For Christmas I get a 12 pack of 9v batteries for my pin pointer and a 60 pack of AAs for my F75LTD as stocking stuffers.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I run all my pennies through the coins star multiple times, sometimes they go through to the reject tray while other times they stay in the machine and add to my total. The zincols that get rejected 4 times get put into a large jar at home. All other mutilated coins go in a cloth bag.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, re coinstar, I highly recommend getting an e gift coupon for your fav online store as you don't get hit with the 10% surcharge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread