Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know much about the T2 but my buddy swings one.Is this update for the old T2s as well.Oh yea how is the upgrade

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know much about the T2 but my buddy swings one.Is this update for the old T2s as well.Oh yea how is the upgrade

I'm getting my metal detector back on Thursday, the upgrade is for all T2s including the SE and original green T2s. They also completely service and tune up your metal detector, which will help considering it lost a bit of depth and target separation in the four years I was swinging it. For around $150 it wasn't a bad deal, considering the metal detector I sent in didn't even have some of the modes as my newer T2 SE (June 2015) and wasn't the DST one.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent my T2 to the 2017 T2 upgrade. I got the label on the last day, and sent it two days after. They completed the upgrade and are shipping it tomorrow. Has anyone done this upgrade, what were the results?

I am always amused when someone asks this question AFTER they have already committed the $$ and sent the detector in (or bought that newly released detector out of the gate). But I get it, I have done it myself.

So here's the answer: I did this with a T2 SE in 2016 and the result was an upgraded detector with DST and some new modes. Pause...

Seriously though:

If you are asking about performance: I did not notice any performance difference good or bad (DST had no noticeable adverse impact on depth AFAICT and does seem to quiet things down around power lines...sometimes).

If you are asking was it worth it, I think it was worth it for the extra modes (basically they put a new control unit head on the stem, not really a tune up per se). I also sprung for the extended warranty since it improved potential resale value and the special deal on the 15" coil.

When it is all said and done, however,, I own a T2 and an F75. I performed the upgrade and envisioned the T2 as a deep seeker alternative to the F75 when I sprung for the 15" OEM coil as part of the upgrade deal. What a boat anchor that coil is, really hard to swing, took away the otherwise nice coil weight balance inherent in the T2/F75 design. I no longer need the T2 as a deep seeking backup to the F75 since I got a large (but lighter) DETECH coil for deep targets on the F75 now. Why keep the F75 vs. the T2? Because, unlike the T2, the F75 can accommodate concentric/coaxial coils. Even though I log most of my deep seeking relic hours on the Deus and GPX, the F75/T2 can do some things that the Deus and GPX can't with the smaller specialty coils, so the First Texas machines serve a niche purpose in my stable of detectors (but I only need one of the two to serve that purpose).

Even though the 15" coil was a disappointment, I think you will not be disappointed with the DST/mode upgrade. HTH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread