Patriot or Omega 8500?

Cal G.

Mar 19, 2003
Think the Patriot could be. I used the Omega v4 and found enough coins to pay for it. My big disappointment was the lack of jewelry finds. The 5x10 stock coil was ok, but I soon lost confidence in it and got the Nels sharp shooter same thing. The mistake I made was not using the 8 inch coil off my gamma at the time. I did find jewelry with the gamma as well as lots of coins. I sold both detectors and got a X-terra 705 which I found 27 rings( all dry land) last year 2 gold and 2 silver. The best coil for it was the 10 inch DD 7.5kz, but was to heavy for shoulder problem that I have. I sold it and got the Patriot which I have hunted with 3 times and already found a ring and some earings. My opinion the Patriot will make my jewelry and coin machine at 2.9 lbs with batteries. I have never use the the omega 8500, just the 0mega 8000 v4.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I have read posts from a few hunters that were very good with all kinds of brands and machines that went from an F75 to an Omega and didn't lose a step.
These were mostly silver coin shooter types mostly, can't recall much being mentioned about jewelry.
I, on the other hand, love finding everything but jewelry has always been my focus and I can tell you that the F70/Patriot finds even deep coins easily but seems to excel at spotting jewelry of all kinds of any size at any depths using most any coil.
The Omega might be great at all of this too but I have never held one so I can't speak about that.
The Patriot platform I have explored to some very deep levels, however, and I can say as an overall detector I am thoroughly and jaw-droppingly impressed.

Last edited:

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Omega is that price until Fathers Day...just a heads up. No idea what it will be raised to after that. Assuming 500+ range again.

I've got 150+ hours on the Patriot platform (had a F70 first)...maybe 30-40 on the Omega I got a couple weeks back. Both are "do it all" type machines. Relic/coins/jewelry...even some budget gold prospecting if need be.

I'd be hard pressed to pick either if I was hunting coins at a park or school. I would not feel like I would leave anything behind the other would hit...coin sized anyways.

The Patriot is more sensitive on smaller objects in the mid range (foil/nickel/gold/lead). However, I have dug plenty of 7-8 inch foil and can bits with the Omega lately in the hopes they were nickels.

I'd probably pick the Patriot for relic hunting...I feel it separates a slight bit better and is a bit faster on recovery speed.

Both take concentrics and DD coils of various sizes...so most sites can be conquered with either.

OP
OP
B

bilder

May 16, 2017
Southwest Oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Teknetics Patriot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input. Guess I will stick with my first impulse and go with the Patriot. Will be ordering this Friday.

OP
OP
B

bilder

May 16, 2017
Southwest Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Patriot will be here on Thursday and I also picked up a Gamma 6000 at a pawn shop over the weekend for a song.

I should be good on machines for awhile. May my wife forgive me when she looks at the bank account......

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Patriot will be here on Thursday and I also picked up a Gamma 6000 at a pawn shop over the weekend for a song.

I should be good on machines for awhile. May my wife forgive me when she looks at the bank account......

Forgive...depends.
Do you live in Stepford Connecticut, if so for sure.
If you don't then you are probably in trouble.

On the other hand my F70 found me enough gold and other quality shiny things to bring back for the wife that so that now she actually tells me to go out hunting more often than not...so there is that.

"Cheap jewelry, however, is worse than no jewelry at all, and there are very few things in life that are worse than no jewelry at all.”
Jill Conner Browne, The Sweet Potato Queens' Book of Love

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bilder

May 16, 2017
Southwest Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got to spend an hour or two with the Patriot at a park that has been hit many times over the last 30 years. This unit is really nice to use. Easy to set up and yet it has enough features that I doubt I will ever find all the combinations.

The Patriot loves dimes! Found more dimes today than I have in the last two weeks. Several were 4 inches deep in areas I know I have gone over with my Bounty Hunter just this past month. All were clad, but I have no doubt I will find silver soon.

All coins were giving solid signals with high confidence. Everything else I dug with bouncy signals was trash or an old hotwheels car.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread