Thought I asked this before , but maybe forgot to hit 'post'.???

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my G2 + for 9 ish months.

It goes pretty deep with the Stock DD coil , but I need a couple more inches like my 1266X gives me.

Is there a good coil ; or what is my best option? a larger , deeper , DD, or Concentric coil that will get me a couple inches deeper in most soil types.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Davers:usflag:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have the wrong machine for depth. Operating at 19kHz, your depth is limited. Depending on your soil, a concentric coil is deeper than a DD. Generally, higher kHz is great for gold pickers and small nuggets up to about 8", but suffers on coin-sized targets at 8" or more. :skullflag:

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have the wrong machine for depth. Operating at 19kHz, your depth is limited. Depending on your soil, a concentric coil is deeper than a DD. Generally, higher kHz is great for gold pickers and small nuggets up to about 8", but suffers on coin-sized targets at 8" or more. :skullflag:

I may be wrong but does my Tejon operate at 19khz , It goes pretty deep (is know for depth also)?

I hunt mostly rocky woods for Civil War relics & in most these areas the ground is as it was in 1864, so Minnie's & relics hang out in the 2-6 inch area . Many do go deeper sometimes.

More depth will help me in fields (imo).

Like the tejon it loves the little stuff 'like you said' .

The G2+ depth is pretty good (imo) only had it since last February.
This is also my first experience with a DD coil.

My soil is pretty Hot being in the N Ga Gold bearing Area, real Hot in some places.

Thanks for the info , I just got a AT Pro (Good Deal) for water & those Deep woods Thunderstorms. Ahhhhh, learning another machine.

Got over 100 hrs on the G2+ 150 maybe.
Also I read some things in your 'Group' a couple weeks ago ,great info there.
Thanks Davers

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tejon and the Deus are 17-18khz machines and they are among the deepest machines out there. Even on higher conducters

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tejon and the Deus are 18-19khz machines and they are among the deepest machines out there. Even on higher conducters

To be fair, though, the Deus also operates at 4, 8 and 12 khz with the LF coils which really helps to snag deep high conductors. OTOH, I see that folks are snagging deep high conductors using the Deus HF coils (13 - 80 khz), even at the higher frequencies, so, as usual with metal detecting, your mileage may vary.

Regarding DD vs. Concentric Coils - in low mineralization soils, the the concentric will theoretically go deeper than a similarly sized DD by a little but the DD quickly outperforms the concentric with mid to high mineralization soils. Not sure about the G2, but the T2 (which operates at 13 khz) is not compatible with any concentric coils.

19 KHZ is a somewhat high frequency to use for general detecting and coin shooting (unless coin shooting gold coins) as it favors small, mid-conductive targets, but we are not talking about a pure prospecting machine here.

I would say the T2 at 13 khz is a good general purpose machine that excels at relic hunting (based on its discrimination circuit) vs. coin shooting and prospecting but can do all three ok.

The G2 at 19 khz favors mid-conductors and gold prospecting but you can "get away with" coin shooting and relic hunting with it.

Rounding out the above, the Fisher F75 (also a First Texas machine) at 13 khz which externally looks like a clone of the T2, excels at coin shooting based on the built-in preset program choices but can hold its own relic hunting and prospecting. It's detection circuit is compatible with OEM and 3rd party concentric coils where the T2 is not.

The Garrett AT Pro operates at 15 khz and is a heckuva coin shooting machine. I think you really start "specializing" in gold and small mid-conductive targets when your machine operates up in the 20's and above (khz).

HTH

Last edited:

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The major point with the F19 (G2+) are the ID lock they can achieve to the end of their detecting range. That is why many people have started using them as coin shooters.

So while they might not be as deep down to 9-10 inches as other detectors with a lower frequency can be...they WILL show a proper ID deeper than most other machines who start to bounce at 6 inches +.

I have used just about every Teknetics and Fisher...the XP Deus...AT Pro...AT Max...Nokta Impact.

F19 and G2+ will lock ID clear to the end of their detectable range better than any of them. In my opinion of course...

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tejon and the Deus are 18-19khz machines and they are among the deepest machines out there. Even on higher conducters

Agreed. My Tejon is deeper than my f75 IMO. Maybe try the Tejon in the areas the goodies are deep...

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The major point with the F19 (G2+) are the ID lock they can achieve to the end of their detecting range. That is why many people have started using them as coin shooters.

So while they might not be as deep down to 9-10 inches as other detectors with a lower frequency can be...they WILL show a proper ID deeper than most other machines who start to bounce at 6 inches +.

I have used just about every Teknetics and Fisher...the XP Deus...AT Pro...AT Max...Nokta Impact.

F19 and G2+ will lock ID clear to the end of their detectable range better than any of them. In my opinion of course...

I have found this to be true as well (a 79 vdi at 3 inches & a 79 at 8 inches.).

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To be fair, though, the Deus also operates at 4, 8 and 12 khz with the LF coils which really helps to snag deep high conductors. OTOH, I see that folks are snagging deep high conductors using the Deus HF coils (13 - 80 khz), even at the higher frequencies, so, as usual with metal detecting, your mileage may vary.

Regarding DD vs. Concentric Coils - in low mineralization soils, the the concentric will theoretically go deeper than a similarly sized DD by a little but the DD quickly outperforms the concentric with mid to high mineralization soils. Not sure about the G2, but the T2 (which operates at 13 khz) is not compatible with any concentric coils.

19 KHZ is a somewhat high frequency to use for general detecting and coin shooting (unless coin shooting gold coins) as it favors small, mid-conductive targets, but we are not talking about a pure prospecting machine here.

I would say the T2 at 13 khz is a good general purpose machine that excels at relic hunting (based on its discrimination circuit) vs. coin shooting and prospecting but can do all three ok.

The G2 at 19 khz favors mid-conductors and gold prospecting but you can "get away with" coin shooting and relic hunting with it.

Rounding out the above, the Fisher F75 (also a First Texas machine) at 13 khz which externally looks like a clone of the T2, excels at coin shooting based on the built-in preset program choices but can hold its own relic hunting and prospecting. It's detection circuit is compatible with OEM and 3rd party concentric coils where the T2 is not.

The Garrett AT Pro operates at 15 khz and is a heckuva coin shooting machine. I think you really start "specializing" in gold and small mid-conductive targets when your machine operates up in the 20's and above (khz).

HTH
I see very little difference in depth using lower frequencies on my Deus and 18khz is best for EMI too but I gennerally run in 12khz

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see very little difference in depth using lower frequencies on my Deus and 18khz is best for EMI too but I gennerally run in 12khz

I guess that was my point and I didn't make it very well. The lower frequencies are deeper under most circumstances (that's just physics) and the Deus runs at those lower frequencies (not just 18 khz- was trying to counter naysayers that would dispute the Deus is deep only because it runs frequencies less than 18khz) but depending on what is going on with EMI (as you pointed out), soil, and the type of target being sought, the 18 - 19 KHZ machines can be "deep enough". Making generalized statements like Terry said that "You have the wrong machine for depth" is not necessarily the case for all circumstances. HTH. There are very few absolutes in metal detecting beyond you can't recover the target unless you machine is on and you pass your coil over it (unless of course you see the target sitting on the surface - lol).

Picketwire

Dec 10, 2017
SE Colorado
Detector(s) used
Lazer Trident SI, fisher gold bug, tesoro outlaw, mojave, compadre, stingray, teknetics t2 and omega 8000, fisher f2, garrett ace 250, compass judge 2, whites TRX, fisher F-pulse, Garrett carrot and r
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be wrong but I thought the G2 could only use DD coils.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are not wrong. While some concentrics will work...ID will be off and depth not ideal. It is made for DD coil usage.

deserthoag

Greenie
Oct 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1266x

I have had my G2 + for 9 ish months.

It goes pretty deep with the Stock DD coil , but I need a couple more inches like my 1266X gives me.

Is there a good coil ; or what is my best option? a larger , deeper , DD, or Concentric coil that will get me a couple inches deeper in most soil types.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Davers:usflag:

I'm not sure what the depth is on the G2,but the guys I new used them to clean up after using so called deeper detectors for higher conductive metals. There are still a bunch of the newer detectors that won't reach the depth of the ole "66.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The G2 or G2+ has never been a depth demon...not much you can do to make it deeper i know and tried for a year
You want deeper in the Tek line... Omega will get you that about 2" deeper and in clean ground locks on to targets better .
Gary

Last edited:
OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have found this to be true , a Minnie ball at 3 inches will give a VDI of 70-79 & a Minnie at 8 inches will give a VDI of 70-79. This goes for other metals also , I like that .

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found this to be true as well (a 79 vdi at 3 inches & a 79 at 8 inches.).

Daaa.
Reading back I already stated this fact.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions