Original Omega 8000 concentric

Picketwire

Dec 10, 2017
SE Colorado
Detector(s) used
Lazer Trident SI, fisher gold bug, tesoro outlaw, mojave, compadre, stingray, teknetics t2 and omega 8000, fisher f2, garrett ace 250, compass judge 2, whites TRX, fisher F-pulse, Garrett carrot and r
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I bought my Omega 8000 with the original coil, it seemed to me to be hard to pinpoint. I read MD forums a lot and the story seemed to be that the 10 inch DD made it into a killer machine. Monte B went from favoring the stock coil to the 8 inch one on the Gamma. I purchased an 8 inch one and after using Tesoros with concentrics, it seemed easier to pinpoint the target. Later I purchased a Mars Tiger and a SEF coil and the seemed like monsters in depth. However, I kept seeing that Dave Johnson preferred elliptical concentrics.
I decided to try the original again. I have never planted a test garden and ignored laying coins and trash on the ground and testing until recently. I got a bunch of tabs, shredded pop can pieces and a Corona bottle cap along with pre and post 81 pennies, a nickel, dime, and quarter and put them on the garage floor which has no metal underneath that I can tell and it ground balanced at 72. I used the default 3 tones.
Results: I could pinpoint in discrimination by pulling back like a DD and the target would be on the front tip but not on the back. I could also tell where the target was in pinpoint all metal by establishing that it was inside the center coil and the pulling back until the sound stopped and like my Ace 250, it was just in front of the center coil. Also according to a knowledgeable forum member, by putting a golf ball in the center coil, this would be where it pinpoints. I took my calipers and found the widest spot in the center coil and marked it with whiteout on both sides and sure enough I could pinpoint there too. So much for “hard to pinpoint”, all I had to do was what people have been saying all along, put stuff on the ground and test!
I also found that with this coil in all metal mode, the tabs and can slaw would go from a lower pitch at slow speed to a much higher pitch at a faster sweep. On coins, the pitch stayed much more consistent.
I proceeded to notch out the tabs, an assortment from rings with tails to modern and they disappeared from detection. When I placed 3 or 4 on top of a quarter, I got a signal but it was a low zinc signal and jumped some numbers. I would have ignored it as this is usually can slaw or screw cap area. This is another reason to dig questionable signals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread