Trying Digger27 Patriot/F70 settings

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everybody! Hit an old homesite dating back to at least 1943. Super trashy, people actually dump trash here, so I though I would try the high disc, notch back in settings that Dave had some success with. I had disc at 65, notch everything back in other than foil, thresh at 0 sens at 95, 3 and 4 tones. It was still a pain as there were about 10 iron tones per swing most of the time. I did dig 5 copper lincolns, a modern dime and a couple zincolns as well. The Patriot was very stable and EMI free even at the high sens setting of 95. I got a good signal that bounced between dime and quarter numbers and found this buckle at about 6" deep. On the back it says 'Pat. Dec 3 1873', I believe. Hard to make out the last number. Anyway, I really liked the fact that I could crank up sens and still run chatter free! This place is not much fun due to the iron, I may try to disc iron a bit next time to save my ears. Thanks again Dave!

Attachments

• 1521346987710.jpg
    1521346987710.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 101

aaroncr

Dec 29, 2016
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome work Scott!! Heckuva hunt in that kinda mess pullin that many coins. Just curious approx what do you guess the deepest to have been?? -Aaron

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Way cool...don't know why this thing gets quieter in high disc but it does.
There are a couple of sites I hunt that let me push the sense even higher and the thresh way high doing it this way.

Here is a recent hunt where I used this method but only notched back in iron and one other area, nickels.
Sense 85-95, thresh -2, iron and nickel notched back in.
Having iron in and using DP the iron stays low and in the background and is less mentally fatigueing.
Notching in only one other section let's me concentrate on listening to only the iron and anything solid that comes through even with fast sweeps.
In this case I was aiming for high conductors in areas I have scoured before so when I actually found these 4 coins and a Pontiac badge so I was happy.
One normal signal but the other three were short, clipped and either on edge or masked.
This was using the big Cannon coil also, which is what I am currently testing.
Depth is what I was looking for but none of these were particularly deep, only about 4-5" average on the wheats, so I wonder what exactly helped me find them when before I didn't?
All of my coils should be able to hit these depths so not the coil...or was it?

Having the iron back in listening to the tones and swinging quickly helps me acquire more targets on a hunt because I can listen for the grunt and a repeating high tone at the same time...if no repeatable tone I just move on so I stop and examine a larger number of higher percentage and hopefully better targets per hunt.
Having only one other section in cuts way down on the noise and it is possible I am able to hear those short, more fully defined better signals even as short as they were because I wasn't trying to make sense of way more in the background.

Whatever way you want to use these "Reverse", settings are great and they seem to be working for you so CongratZ!

Attachments

• photostudio_1521045555117.jpg
    photostudio_1521045555117.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 95

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digger, have you ever noticed how some wheats are literally barely audible? I've even dug some in the same range as you're describing (in better dirt too) that gave this type of click for a signal. Then, some blow your ears off! I'm sure their positioning in the ground affects this a ton but I think wheaties tend to electrically "connect" to the ground different than many other copper targets.....just from what I've witnessesed

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome work Scott!! Heckuva hunt in that kinda mess pullin that many coins. Just curious approx what do you guess the deepest to have been?? -Aaron
Thanks Aaron! The deepest coins I found while trying out the new settings were no more than 6-7" deep.

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way cool...don't know why this thing gets quieter in high disc but it does.
There are a couple of sites I hunt that let me push the sense even higher and the thresh way high doing it this way.

Here is a recent hunt where I used this method but only notched back in iron and one other area, nickels.
Sense 85-95, thresh -2, iron and nickel notched back in.
Having iron in and using DP the iron stays low and in the background and is less mentally fatigueing.
Notching in only one other section let's me concentrate on listening to only the iron and anything solid that comes through even with fast sweeps.
In this case I was aiming for high conductors in areas I have scoured before so when I actually found these 4 coins and a Pontiac badge so I was happy.
One normal signal but the other three were short, clipped and either on edge or masked.
This was using the big Cannon coil also, which is what I am currently testing.
Depth is what I was looking for but none of these were particularly deep, only about 4-5" average on the wheats, so I wonder what exactly helped me find them when before I didn't?
All of my coils should be able to hit these depths so not the coil...or was it?

Having the iron back in listening to the tones and swinging quickly helps me acquire more targets on a hunt because I can listen for the grunt and a repeating high tone at the same time...if no repeatable tone I just move on so I stop and examine a larger number of higher percentage and hopefully better targets per hunt.
Having only one other section in cuts way down on the noise and it is possible I am able to hear those short, more fully defined better signals even as short as they were because I wasn't trying to make sense of way more in the background.

Whatever way you want to use these "Reverse", settings are great and they seem to be working for you so CongratZ!
Dave, yes it did run very stable at high disc, I think it is definitely something I want to keep working with. I did get a lot of blended/one way signals and some clipped high tones that I decided not to dig, believing they were iron. Next time out, I will take more time and investigate more of these! I have a feeling there are some older coins at this site, I just need to keep at it and possibly not digging those iffy signals is keeping me from finding them.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Dave, yes it did run very stable at high disc, I think it is definitely something I want to keep working with. I did get a lot of blended/one way signals and some clipped high tones that I decided not to dig, believing they were iron. Next time out, I will take more time and investigate more of these! I have a feeling there are some older coins at this site, I just need to keep at it and possibly not digging those iffy signals is keeping me from finding them.

Those are exactly the kind of weird signals I am looking for by only notching back in iron and maybe just one other section.
I can hunt with a ton of noise but by having a more quiet arena to listen for those short signals I think I can pick them out better.
I want to locate actual targets but get a a lot of falsing high tones around iron here so I leave iron in to listen if there is an iron growl that is showing up around a higher tone.
I make sweeps over all the higher tones to see if I can find the exact location and get it to repeat from at least 2 ways.
Iron won't usually repeat in the same place consistently or if it seems to it might be high numbers one way and much different numbers on the backswing or by turning.
Those that I could get decent solid hits within a small range of about 4-5 numbers got dug.
All of those targets except one in my post above came in as very short blips before I noticed them and went back to examine them further.
It is possible I got that short signal before but missed it because I had too many other data and tones hitting me using way less disc.
Remember this is using a huge coil in a very trashy and iron infested area also, here it is compared to the stock coil.

photostudio_1521654296935.jpg

If I can do this with a huge coil can't wait to switch over to the Sharpshooter and see if it is any easier or more productive.
I also need to try other combinations with all my coils...
Iron and foil
Iron and tabs
Iron and zinc...and others.

I have hunted with no iron in before and it is very quiet and works but I prefer to hear the iron.

I found this on my last hunt using this method in a trashy site I had hit before...a lot.
It just stood out even though I was moving the coil fast as a short blip but examining it closer I got a much better repeating signal from all ways.
This is the best condition tax token I have ever found here, wrecked but still sharp.
This dirt does not treat aluminum very well but this thing is nice.

Go back and examine a few of those iffy ones next time, listen close and if you want a shot at coins try shutting out more lower areas...keep the info coming at a nice place so you can pick out the more curious ones.
Whatever way you want to do it seems to be working.

Attachments

• photostudio_1521653192507.jpg
    photostudio_1521653192507.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 105
  • photostudio_1521653280930.jpg
    photostudio_1521653280930.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

aaroncr

Dec 29, 2016
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that coil is huge. I'm anxious to see if your VDI is accurate at more depth as well when the chance offers itself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread