155.4 KB · Views: 92

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice find. I have 3 Mississippi and 2 Alabama tax tokens. Can you tell the worth of the token? My Ms. Tokens are .01 cent and .05. The crossed hole is pretty cool too. Congrats :thumbsup:

OP
OP
A

aaroncr

Dec 29, 2016
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has a "2" on the left and right of the token,..at first I thought they were N's lolo,..till I got my magnifier out and made out some more lettering.

OP
OP
A

aaroncr

Dec 29, 2016
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres a pic of one off the net in better shape...

Attachments

• TAX TOKEN.jpg
    TAX TOKEN.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 89
OP
OP
A

aaroncr

Dec 29, 2016
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cranked up the sense wide open,,disc 6,..dropped the thresh to about 2 enough to quiet her down a bit,.went SL speed all afternoon. Working around the grass and stubble best I could. Just took my time and steady as she goes today. I liked it,...will be putting some more hours/days in the SL speed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

aaroncr

Dec 29, 2016
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you!,..I worked for it. The iron grounds don't give up the goods easy lolol.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It's in really good shape.

OP
OP
A

aaroncr

Dec 29, 2016
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you try a small coil yet?

Nope,..thats still to come. I've got a like new garrott carrot I need to send down the road first. Just haven't done it yet...but yep the little hockey puck will be my first aftermarket coil.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I cranked up the sense wide open,,disc 6,..dropped the thresh to about 2 enough to quiet her down a bit,.went SL speed all afternoon. Working around the grass and stubble best I could. Just took my time and steady as she goes today. I liked it,...will be putting some more hours/days in the SL speed.

I always...ALWAYS use SL in all metal, most of the time with the gain and thresh maxed out.
Not always the quietest way to set up my F70 but not really all that much more chatty than using lower settings and of course when the coil rolls over something decent it will tell you.
For hunting in heavy iron all metal with these blasted out settings, (I call them Blast Through settings), is the most productive way to hunt...for me, but it took a few hours of practice to get to understand it all and get decent at picking out non ferrous targets in extreme iron.
In the site I learned to do this with extreme iron I did use several coils and I was pretty successful with all of them, a 10" elliptical concentric, the 11" DD and the 5" round DD...ultimately the sniper turned out to be the most successful overall.
I have tried using disc in sites like that too and have found good targets, tried both SL and DE with the disc at many levels but mostly at 1...to get all the information possible...6 to cut out small nails...9 to cut out the larger nails too...and sometimes 15-20 to cut out all the iron.
I have tried 0 disc too but many times the chatter moving down to 0 from 1 can be excessive.
DP works as does most of the other tone choices but I have had the most success using 1, monotone.
Others have used way different settings for hunting in iron, a hunter using an F75 called jim tn is very successful using disc at 0 and multi tones so it all depends on what you like and what you get used to I guess.

As far as using SL instead of DE in disc I still don't know about that regarding depth.
DE is definitely faster which is VERY helpful when picking through iron and can still get surprisingly deep even compared to SL.
The deepest target I ever went after and dug was in Missouri dirt that was 14-15", gave pretty accurate screen info on every pass and I had the sense and thresh way up there maxed out, disc in the low 20's, 1F and DE speed.
I dug a few deep targets at 8"+ on this hunt using these settings and switched back to those all metal blast though settings to check and there was no deep target disc and DE could not find and hit on well.
Keep in mind these were in areas with normal low iron and this was extremely great low mineralized dirt.
Since then I have tried all of these different settings in that good dirt out west and in my current location in the deep south with way too much iron and mineralized devil dirt...not just the real bad red stuff but even the more normal looking black dirt that is usually still mineralized to a high degree.
I found that all metal blast through is still my best option here combined with smaller sniper coils and very slow coil movements but I have found a ton using different coils, disc and all kinds of settings, also.
Several times I have messed around switching between DE and SL on some deeper targets, (here deep is 7-9"), and there have been a couple of targets that were not there or were very spotty or iffy in DE in disc or all metal that became way more solid in SL but not a ton of them.
Most times in disc I am using DE lately, if I switch to SL and the noise level rises too much even though I am very good at dealing with noise I still have a feeling that I have a better shot at noticing good targets in a quieter environment so for the last few months I have been exploring settings that keep noise levels as low as possible.
Right now program 2 is always set up with maxed out blast through settings and SL and program 1 is always in disc with all kinds of different settings but 99.9% of the time in DE speed.
It's a numbers thing for me, noisier, hotter SL settings in disc might get a bit deeper, (maybe), but I believe I have a better shot at noticing way more targets at pretty deep levels in quieter environments so I am sticking with DE for now and not worrying about it much if at all.
That is in my dirt and site conditions...in yours or other areas of the country SL in disc might be much quieter than I can achieve and advantageous if it can be utilized.

You seem to be doing fine your way, finding any good non ferrous target in an ocean of iron is a success no matter how you do it.
I can tell you that once you get a sniper coil all of this will become easier...I mean a whole lot easier.
If iron infested or heavy trash sites are common for you the investment in a sniper is going to be eye-opening.
The small hockey puck Fisher sniper coil I used for a long time found me a ton of treasure in the last few years and I can't sing its praises loud enough, I never thought I would ever need or consider another aftermarket coil.
I was using the Fisher sniper, high disc with a few areas notched back in, DE speed and multi tones when I dug the deepest coin I have found here so far which was a thin as a dime worn V nickel at the 8-9" level in bad dirt in a site surrounded by electric wires and other heavy EMI problems.
The guy I was hunting with could hardly believe it, I held that coin in my hand and I barely believed it myself.
Then I bought the Nel Sharpshooter...another great option.
I was aiming for the smallest Nel coil, (mostly just as an experiment to see if it could work any better in my difficult soil), but my dealer did not stock them but did have a Sharpshooter so I went for that instead.
Serendipity, the thing worked better than I ever hoped it could and found it had stellar separation abilities, extreme sensitivity, surprising depth even in my dirt, covered a very decent amount of real estate compared to the smallest snipers and best of all it seemed to be quieter and more stable than my Fisher sniper just about...everywhere.
Quieter meant more and hotter settings were possible so I took advantage of that...still do.
I can't say the Nel or Cors coils or any others are way way better than the small Fisher sniper, I have never taken that one and the Sharpshooter out to any site and compared signals over the same targets, but I can tell you I have been shocked a few times using my Nel and since I got it I haven't even considered mounting that Fisher coil so it sits in a box unused...for now.
Plus the Nel Sharp, Snake and Sharpshooter coils are all slightly cheaper than the Fisher versions.

No matter which sniper you end up with just get it and go back to this same site and like I said no matter what settings you are using the results and performance might be very eye opening.
There is probably more there to find, you just have to figure out the easiest tools, best settings and repeatable target behavior to do it.

As always you are advancing nicely but there is so much more to discover.
A great find on that token...CongratZ!

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

aaroncr

Dec 29, 2016
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate the info digger. I plan to bump my disc down to 1 next time I go to see what happens. Actually plan to compare between disc 6 and then 1. I was in 1f I believe for tones most of the day. It's less on my brain to not make the tones crazy when I decide to run it hotter. There is another find in my hand in the pic above. I haven't even cleaned it yet but pretty sure its a mushroomed bullet. I found it in SL speed,..as always there at least 4 more targets are pretty much under my coil. I checked it in DE and barely got a glitch,..no way would I have dug that signal or given it a second thought. In SL speed that machine was banging on it...a no doubt about it stop you in your tracks dig me. It was only 7 or so inches deep,..by no means the deepest I've dug but I was within 8 yards of the house and the iron level at that distance is still super high. So somebody smarter than me can explain the reasoning and science behind it whether it be enhanced depth or unmasking but the SL speed makes my machine hit some targets harder,..no question. This place has tons of stubble,..easter lilies growing by the bushels and overall just getting greener every minute as summer is coming. I have to work around all that so I thought I would take a different approach that trip and really give the SL speed a legit shot for a whole hunt. Glad I did,..I'm convinced it's not a novelty feature to be only occasionally used,..but a more than useful tool. Kudos to the Fisher boys, I'm in.

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
SL takes short, quick snapshots of what is going on beneath the coil, sampling so slower coil movements I believe are needed, while DE is continuous.
Because they work in different ways there are definitely differences in EMI noise levels and solidity of signals that are deeper...as you have found under the right site conditions and circumstances SL might acquire some targets that to DE are invisible.
Boost, (SL), was invented for hovering over vegetation in fields and forests but over the years many hunters found boost can have advantages even with the coil flat on the ground.
For a few years now in the forums some F75 guys have taken shots at the F70 guys and believed there was no way the F70 could compete on any level with the flagship model because logically since the F75 costs several hundred dollars more it just had to be better...the F70 with the 11" DD coil was about $750 where the Flagship was over $1000.
Most of the time the one feature they brought up that was the major difference and why the F75 should always be your prime choice was the boost...the F75 had it while the F70 didn't.
We F70 guys usually just laughed at this, the F70 had boost since its inception, had it first before they added it to the F75 but Fisher just didn't label it boost but SL speed instead.
The guy that designed both, Dave J., has stated in writing a few times on the forums that even though boost and SL are slightly different processes they do the exact same thing and there really isn't any advantage of one over the other and never was.
It boggles my mind how some out there can form opinions and comment on and even knock other products without spending any time gathering up actual true facts to form those opinions, but such is life.
Nowadays things are different...the flagship prices have been lowered across the board and DST has been added along with a few new programming tweaks like 1N and more although some models dropped the boost like the 85th anniversary edition but it was added back in on the new F75+ model.
Meanwhile the F70 had a major price drop too when it changed brands and renamed the Patriot.
In my mind things still line up the same but everything is more affordable now.
For those that like the F75 features the value is even better, for those of us that don't really care about those extra features but still want a powerful, productive rat rod of a detector that has everything you need to be successful we have the Patriot.
A tool like this with major power and so many controllable settings possible, (including boost), lowered to the $400 price point still is unbelievable to me even now.

Not everyone wants or needs boost, there are many that have had it available for years and never used it on both the F75 and the F70.
Then there are others that wouldn't consider using a detector without it because in their sites they have found boost actually does make a difference if utilized correctly.
I am one of those types, you are rapidly turning into another even with your limited experience using boost.
I don't use it 100% of the time in disc but I do use it when possible and for sure I would much rather have it and not use it than not have it and need it.
I am pretty confident I have at least a few great treasures in my collection because SL was available to me, deep stuff that I might not have even noticed in DE.
So many features I love on this thing, the control over all the different settings, the ability to control the thresh in disc, being able to use both DD and concentric coils, two completely different programs I can set up and switch to at the touch of a button and more.
SL boost is also a big part of that too...if you took that feature away from me I would be sad and depressed even if I don't need or use it all the time.

This can be an eye opening and downright shockingly productive feature in some situations if utilized correctly, something you are learning on every hunt so keep on keeping on.

OP
OP
A

aaroncr

Dec 29, 2016
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the Patriot for myself this year for Christmas.,...loved it so much just playing with it in the yard I went ahead and sent the ATPro to a new home and picked up the F75+ package. Couldn't resist. So,..I own both. I think different than a lot of folks,..I'd rather have 2 similar machines I love than 2 totally different machines and one never used or a closet queen. My purpose for 2 was to just always for sure have a backup but more importantly I'm setting the Patriot up with the hockey puck shortly and down the road I'll be putting a large aftermarket coil on the f75 for a pure depth demon,..not that it already isn't but hey,..it sounds fun to me so that's my plan lolol….with a sharpshooter somewhere in the mix. I have actually only had the F75 out 1 time since I've owned it,..just needed to get it out and play with it a bit due to the fact I have a couple friends that are hooking me up with sites and I'll need to know how to at least run through the menu lolol and basic operation because they don't have machinies. It without a doubt is a tremendous amount of detector for the $$ especially with that kick a$$ pinpointer,...but that is just my .02 on that.,.but yeah I've seen the market change the last few years as well,..but I think it's been good for us. The whole ATPro water proofness and other units using multifreq has changed the market forever,..now obviously companies are combining both and so on.

As the summer moves along I'm going to compare the 2 just for my own curiosity on some "in the wild" targets. Things like finding 3 to 5 targets per hunt in heavy iron and then working with both machines just to see how they behave,..with the same coils of course. Will the FA process on the f75 be an advantage in heavy iron ?? Do some of the other process of the f75 like the coin and jewelry or plowed field offer any advantages?? Threshold is also still something I’m wrapping my brain around a bit,..mainly how it relates to sense and the effects of adjusting it. I get the definition of it but until I play with settings on actual hunts in the wild it really doesn’t stick with me,..I really need to “see it” to get it. Then I’m like holy crap! Lolol,..just like the SL speed.,..

In general just curiosity questions and getting to know both units..I went the f series route to have more to bite into,..and they sure offer it. Anyway that is going to be my setup and my angle,..but loving the F series I am. Down the road Digger,..and as always thanks for the info you share. -Aaron

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aaron, the F75 is most definitely a SIMPLER machine than the f70/patriot units!

One example is the fact you can run thresh in disc. That alone increases the setup configurations a ton. Fa process is made for exactly what you're hunting in. You will lose a bit on depth and it can be a little chatty around emi but it is definitely a fast process.

JE and BP are your deep seeking modes. If you get a big NEL coil or whatever name they slap on it.....and run in those modes you got yourself a DEEP old coin hunter! You would be surprised how much non ferrous I've pulled from trashy old sites with my nel Tornado. Almost like it powered through the junk to see the targets.

The plowed field is another lower powered and less deep modes that works good on rough terrain where the distance from coil to the soil varies. This mode also works as a last option if you can't combat emi and have dst on and have tried frequency shifting and backed sens. Down a tad.

OP
OP
A

aaroncr

Dec 29, 2016
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aaron, the F75 is most definitely a SIMPLER machine than the f70/patriot units!

One example is the fact you can run thresh in disc. That alone increases the setup configurations a ton. Fa process is made for exactly what you're hunting in. You will lose a bit on depth and it can be a little chatty around emi but it is definitely a fast process.

JE and BP are your deep seeking modes. If you get a big NEL coil or whatever name they slap on it.....and run in those modes you got yourself a DEEP old coin hunter! You would be surprised how much non ferrous I've pulled from trashy old sites with my nel Tornado. Almost like it powered through the junk to see the targets.

The plowed field is another lower powered and less deep modes that works good on rough terrain where the distance from coil to the soil varies. This mode also works as a last option if you can't combat emi and have dst on and have tried frequency shifting and backed sens. Down a tad.

HighVDI,
thanks for the response and info. The few hours I swung the F75 the other day I did put it in FA,..same spot I found the president token. Old homestead with lots of everything,..like most of them. I could tell a difference in the audio. Wasn't sure if the actual process was faster or if the audio was shortened up for each response so that they didn't run into or over each other so the ear could hear it better...or both,..or neither lolo. But yes I could tell a difference. I'll be trying them all out the next few months, especially the FA and deeper JE /BP modes..hopefully gaining skill. I'm excited,..it's good to be happy with your machine choice. And i'll take all the f series info anybody wants to throw out there. Best -Aaron

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread