Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 1000 (800 + Steve's Carbon Goodies!),
Teknetics T2 SE LTD,
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Garret Carrot,
Tek-Point, 2 x Teknetics TLD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm new to the T2 but not detecting in general. I'm no expert either! I have a basic question / observation. I've had many detectors in the past and am used to "detecting through the noise" and I understood that the T2 would be different, no need to slam the sensitivity setting. Here is the situation / question (not the only parameters I use, just a "use case"). Also, I'm nowhere near any EMI.

Disc mode, Disc at 10 / 20 / 30 (doesn't seem to matter). Sensitivity at 60 or 65.

When I swing, if I bump a weed or chunk of grass I get an audible sound; no target id, just an audible sound. It's a short sound that I have learned as bogus and if I swing again without "bumping the coil" against the grass clump I don't hear anything and I have dug many times just to be sure.

My question is, is this normal or should I seek help from FT? I have checked and double checked all connections & batteries. The machine is the latest LTD SE and is only a couple of month old.

TIA and HH!

-Bill

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would send it in if small bumps like mentioned make is sound off. While I can reproduce false signals with some fairly significant whacks on my T2, F75 and Patriot...it is harder than I would ever hit it while swinging in the field.

BenVa68

Mar 9, 2018
Hopewell va.
Detector(s) used
Technetics T2+ Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm new to the T2 but not detecting in general. I'm no expert either! I have a basic question / observation. I've had many detectors in the past and am used to "detecting through the noise" and I understood that the T2 would be different, no need to slam the sensitivity setting. Here is the situation / question (not the only parameters I use, just a "use case"). Also, I'm nowhere near any EMI.

Disc mode, Disc at 10 / 20 / 30 (doesn't seem to matter). Sensitivity at 60 or 65.

When I swing, if I bump a weed or chunk of grass I get an audible sound; no target id, just an audible sound. It's a short sound that I have learned as bogus and if I swing again without "bumping the coil" against the grass clump I don't hear anything and I have dug many times just to be sure.

My question is, is this normal or should I seek help from FT? I have checked and double checked all connections & batteries. The machine is the latest LTD SE and is only a couple of month old.

TIA and HH!

-Bill

Mine does the exact same thing. It seems to function fine otherwise so i have just learned to ignore it. I believe it is just a quirk with the T2 not necessarily a malfunction. Although i have noticed mine does it more since switching to a Mars Tiger coil. Which i love by the way and highly recommend it.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Coil wire is possibly too tight or actually too loose. The other thing to be aware of is you may be swinging the coil too hard and the bump is actually hitting harder than you think. Other common problems are too much sensitivity or too much going to the coil. My experience with any First Texas Product (Fisher, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter) the coil rod is a bit weak for its side to side motion and tends to arch in the swing if swung too hard, this is a very common problem amoung other manufactures units as well. Check the rod locks and make sure their tight also check the coil bolt make sure its not loose.
Stay Gold!
Opie

BenVa68

Mar 9, 2018
Hopewell va.
Detector(s) used
Technetics T2+ Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with that. I do tend to run my sensitivity high which seems to make it sound off at the slightest bump. And the rod on the T2 is a little wiggly. But I'm already use to listening to noise with it cranked up to 90 with 0 disc. Lol but if you can stand the noise it pays off.

OP
OP
W

wallrat_1975

Jul 19, 2018
Collinsville, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE LTD,
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Garret Carrot,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, sounds like it's not a major issue. I appreciate the feedback! I'll just live through it for the time being. It's not horrible, I was just curious. My new Tek-point pinpointer will be here today. I'm excited to test it out!

-Bill

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
010.JPG
For what its worth I would say turn the Sens. down to mid scale.Works for me on my Liberator..........:) 006.JPG 012.JPG
Dime "Liberated".... 6" down in dry, cement like Va. clay.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wallrat_1975

Jul 19, 2018
Collinsville, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE LTD,
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Garret Carrot,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It does the same at 60 as it does at 90. I've learned to ignore it and it's not a major issue. Thanks!

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My t-2 se started doing that , I took the coil cover off and cleaned the dirt out of it . that fixed it . worth a try for sure.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
My F75LTD does the same thing. I wouldn't send it back. That's why I use my AT PRO in the woods.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread