T2 Noise Question
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Opie

Thread: T2 Noise Question

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Bill

Jul 2018
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    Minelab Equinox 1000 (800 + Steve's Carbon Goodies!), Teknetics T2 SE LTD, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garret Carrot, Tek-Point, 2 x Teknetics TLD
    160 times
    Relic Hunting

T2 Noise Question

I'm new to the T2 but not detecting in general. I'm no expert either! I have a basic question / observation. I've had many detectors in the past and am used to "detecting through the noise" and I understood that the T2 would be different, no need to slam the sensitivity setting. Here is the situation / question (not the only parameters I use, just a "use case"). Also, I'm nowhere near any EMI.

Disc mode, Disc at 10 / 20 / 30 (doesn't seem to matter). Sensitivity at 60 or 65.

When I swing, if I bump a weed or chunk of grass I get an audible sound; no target id, just an audible sound. It's a short sound that I have learned as bogus and if I swing again without "bumping the coil" against the grass clump I don't hear anything and I have dug many times just to be sure.

My question is, is this normal or should I seek help from FT? I have checked and double checked all connections & batteries. The machine is the latest LTD SE and is only a couple of month old.

TIA and HH!

-Bill

us
    Just Some YouTube Dude

Feb 2015
    Central California
    Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
    1827 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I would send it in if small bumps like mentioned make is sound off. While I can reproduce false signals with some fairly significant whacks on my T2, F75 and Patriot...it is harder than I would ever hit it while swinging in the field.

us
    Bendiggn

Mar 2018
    Hopewell va.
    Technetics T2+ Equinox 800
    1481 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by wallrat_1975 View Post
    I'm new to the T2 but not detecting in general. I'm no expert either! I have a basic question / observation. I've had many detectors in the past and am used to "detecting through the noise" and I understood that the T2 would be different, no need to slam the sensitivity setting. Here is the situation / question (not the only parameters I use, just a "use case"). Also, I'm nowhere near any EMI.

Disc mode, Disc at 10 / 20 / 30 (doesn't seem to matter). Sensitivity at 60 or 65.

When I swing, if I bump a weed or chunk of grass I get an audible sound; no target id, just an audible sound. It's a short sound that I have learned as bogus and if I swing again without "bumping the coil" against the grass clump I don't hear anything and I have dug many times just to be sure.

My question is, is this normal or should I seek help from FT? I have checked and double checked all connections & batteries. The machine is the latest LTD SE and is only a couple of month old.

TIA and HH!

-Bill
    Mine does the exact same thing. It seems to function fine otherwise so i have just learned to ignore it. I believe it is just a quirk with the T2 not necessarily a malfunction. Although i have noticed mine does it more since switching to a Mars Tiger coil. Which i love by the way and highly recommend it.

us
    It is what it is, until it "Is" what it is.

Aug 2013
    169 times
    Coil wire is possibly too tight or actually too loose. The other thing to be aware of is you may be swinging the coil too hard and the bump is actually hitting harder than you think. Other common problems are too much sensitivity or too much going to the coil. My experience with any First Texas Product (Fisher, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter) the coil rod is a bit weak for its side to side motion and tends to arch in the swing if swung too hard, this is a very common problem amoung other manufactures units as well. Check the rod locks and make sure their tight also check the coil bolt make sure its not loose.
    Stay Gold!
    Opie
    Billieg likes this.

us
    Bendiggn

Mar 2018
    Hopewell va.
    Technetics T2+ Equinox 800
    1481 times
    Metal Detecting
    I agree with that. I do tend to run my sensitivity high which seems to make it sound off at the slightest bump. And the rod on the T2 is a little wiggly. But I'm already use to listening to noise with it cranked up to 90 with 0 disc. Lol but if you can stand the noise it pays off.

us
    Bill

Jul 2018
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    Minelab Equinox 1000 (800 + Steve's Carbon Goodies!), Teknetics T2 SE LTD, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garret Carrot, Tek-Point, 2 x Teknetics TLD
    160 times
    Relic Hunting
    Ok, sounds like it's not a major issue. I appreciate the feedback! I'll just live through it for the time being. It's not horrible, I was just curious. My new Tek-point pinpointer will be here today. I'm excited to test it out!

-Bill

Charter Member
    us
    Roger

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    14700 times
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	1620670
    For what its worth I would say turn the Sens. down to mid scale.Works for me on my Liberator..........Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	4.47 MB 
ID:	1620672Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	1620674
    Dime "Liberated".... 6" down in dry, cement like Va. clay.
    Last edited by RTR; Aug 10, 2018 at 01:23 PM.

us
    Bill

Jul 2018
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    160 times
    Relic Hunting
    It does the same at 60 as it does at 90. I've learned to ignore it and it's not a major issue. Thanks!

us
    Apr 2009
    Cumberland Va
    T-2-SE
    669 times
    My t-2 se started doing that , I took the coil cover off and cleaned the dirt out of it . that fixed it . worth a try for sure.

us
    Sep 2018
    Carroll County, Maryland
    131 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ticndig View Post
    My t-2 se started doing that , I took the coil cover off and cleaned the dirt out of it . that fixed it . worth a try for sure.
    When you say took the coil cover off, do you mean exposed the wire or are talking about a different cover?

Charter Member
    us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
    46827 times
    My F75LTD does the same thing. I wouldn't send it back. That's why I use my AT PRO in the woods.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Sponsored Links