Omega 8500

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried an Omega 8500 shortly after they came out and I immediately compared it to the 8000 models. I had the version 4 and 5 models in previous years and loved both of them. Absolute silver killers they were. The first 8500 was a nice detector, but it just was not like the 8000 both in audio and response. I traded it off without giving it a real chance. I started investigating the 8500 again last fall and recently bought another at the cheap price of 399.00.

I got it two weeks ago and immediately braved the cold and took it to my test bed. I tried all tone and filter options and settled on these settings. 3 tone and filter 3. Filter 3 got the best audio in my test bed and allowed me to use a slower swing speed. I had thought that 5 tone(unmodulated) would help with the weak audio on deep coins, but it plain "lights up the ground" with just tiny specks of metal sounding way too good. I just don't see me using that option in my trashy parks and schools.

By using 3 tone I have found the 8500 to still produce real weak audio on coins 6 plus inches. I can hear them, but you have to have some good headphones or you will miss the signal.

Today, I found some snow free, thawed ground and had a nice two hour hunt with the 8500. I found 22 coins(two wheats) and most were in the 4 to 7 inch deep range. I found the depth meter to be way off. The first 8500 was the same.When the pinpoint read 3 inches, it was always 4 to 5 inches deep. If it read 4 inches, it was 6 to 7 inches deep. My first 8500 had the factory 11 inch dd coil. This 8500 has a similar sized coil(nel hunter which is 8.5x12 inches) so I don't believe the coil caused this quirk.

I really liked the 8500 and will keep it through the 2019 season. For the record, I did not dig any mid tones today as I did not want to fight the partially frozen ground. The 8500 accurately banged my 5 inch nickel in the test garden.

Neotox428

Nov 3, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter II
Teknetics Omega 8500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all...just got my 8500 and itching to get out with it...just had big snow so waiting for it to melt...any advice on it from anyone?

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My favorite Omega detector is the 8000 version 5 or 6. Version 4 was a way too chatty for the high EMI areas that I detect. I tried the 8500 and hated it! With all the extra settings only one really worked well and the audio sounded too digital for my liking. I'm seriously thinking about hooking back up with another Omega 8000 version 5 or 6 if I can find one at a decent price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread