Patriot Iron Monger

RichieSoprano

Jun 3, 2019
Maine, formerly NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Patriot Bedliner on DD Coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The last two hunts my Patriot on program 1 has started keying in on iron like it's a hot commodity. Getting readings like 99 and target depth 3 inches only to dig and find a 4" 1800's 4 inch spike nail at 6 inches. I ground balanced and batteries are good. Been digging nails screws roofing nails old hinges etc. All between 64 and 99. Sup wud dat? I know sites infested but all I had on a good looking 1800s site was one 1941 wheat. Am I doing something wrong?

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’ve never used the Patriot but I do use a T2se on old home sites as a primary machine. Even after a few hundred hours on the machine I still have hunts like you describe once in a while. My best advise is to stick with 2 tones and 0 disc. I usually put sens at 70+. 99 in the boondocks. Try a smaller coil yet? The 10x5 and the 5” round are amazing in iron. And most importantly, continue hunting the spots you know are good but challenging. I have buckets of 1800s iron and only small trays of buttons, coins and bullets buckles and other relics. Iron is king in the Midwest.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I can help, hunting in massive amounts of iron with my F70 is one of the best and most useful things I ever learned.

Sent you a PM.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RichieSoprano

Jun 3, 2019
Maine, formerly NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE: thanks to Digger27 I am back on track. Tthe Patriot/F70 platform is like a Ferrari...you treat it differently than you do say, a Porshe 911, which is a hair tail heavy. Handling, listening and getting used to the "language" of this machine appears to be critical. Yesterday nailed some pennies and dimes right out of an adjacent yard from the one that prompted me to type this thread in the first place. Yep...it's the operator, not the machine.

OP
OP
R

RichieSoprano

Jun 3, 2019
Maine, formerly NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PS, Iowa relic thank you 2! I will try your settings too. I'll let you know if it works for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread