Back at it with Patriot, getting a feel for Delta Pitch!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everybody! Been quite awhile since I have posted. Only been out a couple times in the past 2 years. Went to a High School down the street the other day with the Tek Patriot and dug $2.75 in clad. Decided to hit an old home site where I found a 1917 standing liberty quarter and several wheats. I have had my Tesoro Vaquero, Minelab XT 505 and my Omega 8000 here numerous times with various coils on each machine. I basically gave up on this site after getting skunked at least 10 times after finding that SLQ. Weeds were about 2 ft tall today in all but a small area. I re-read some of Digger27s posts and thought I would try DP tones today. I was running sense at 70, thresh -2, disc at 6, DP tones and using the NEL Sharpshooter coil (my fave coil on this machine) Pleasantly surprised by how well DP worked. Any tones that were very close in pitch and not in iron numbers I dug. Found a couple of these tiny .22 shells at 6" and 7" that rang in and locked just above nickel range. Then I found a couple copper cents and got a good signal that bounced between zinc and dime #s, happy to dig that and find the 1930 wheat about 6" deep. I hit the watchband at 6" deep and got a bit excited until I realized it said 10k GF��. I was thinking how I haven't found any nickels even with the higher freq of the Patriot, next hit was a good 33 ID with a nice repeatable tone, dug nickel 3-4" deep. I have a newfound respect for the DP tones, I have tried it before but gave up before long. Love the Patriot/Sharpshooter combo and really liking the Delta Pitch! Happy Hunting and stay safe friends!

Attachments

• 20200403_162630.jpg
    20200403_162630.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 103
  • 20200403_162726.jpg
    20200403_162726.jpg
    937.9 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Getting back into it myself. Get it man

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Nice!
Older post but this info might help if you are still hanging around, or maybe help some others.

My F70 is right here, still have the Sharpshooter mounted on it and I don't expect that to change for awhile.
Love that coil.
I use DP here and there, not my favorite but a nice change once in awhile.
Like all busy tone options takes some practice but for many that's all they use.
Mudpuppy is a mega clad hunter, only uses DP, has for years.
Says he can tell which coin is down there and on good days he can guess the date.
On really good days he says he can call the mint mark.
Most of us think he drinks a bit too much so there is that.

Next time you hit that site that slowed down maybe try my silver slayer settings, when sites go dead I try this and sometimes it works.
Just a longshot but something good might pop up.
Max out the disc to 65, notch in one other area like nickel if you think there are some there or zinc if Indians might be having around.
You can try notching in two areas but the chatter might come back in, one usually keeps it dead silent except for actual target signals and maybe just a bit of falsing if iron is hanging around.
Max out the sense to 95-99...push the thresh to over 5 up to +9 if you can.
Use SL if it stays quiet, DE if it doesn't.
Use the Sharpshooter coil.
Your choice of tone options, I like one tone but DP and all the others should work well, I also use 4H once in awhile.
Go slow, listen for and check out all signals because the more solid and repeating non trash ones can be, short, quick and difficult to spot until you have some practice at noticing them.
This setup goes deep, always will when you are able to max out the thresh and sense, unlike on some others high disc does not affect depth at all on this thing but it will make it eerily quiet.I
Just like the thresh and gain have a close relationship the disc has a big effect on everything, too.

Or, the usual way I hunt is my Blast Through method...All metal, pegged out sense, thresh and SL...go slow, listen close but watch the screen.
Crazy amount of jumping and falsing but if you roll over a good target it should stay in a short range of about 5-6 numbers and should do it from more than one direction.
Dig all targets in all areas that stay in that short range, most trash jumps around way more, always remember near iron up averaging can happen and target numbers might be in higher areas that might not be normal.
Use the pinpoint on high tones to find the exact target area, if you think you have the spot in first pass but when you pinpoint the target is actually several inches away from that area that is usually iron and that high tone is just falsing.
If you can deal with DP you can learn to deal with this.
This is my go to method for hunting in my mineralized trash and iron infested dirt, gets the deepest out of all I have tried and unmasks better than most other settings I have used.
May be confusing at first but practice makes perfect.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread