Maps Of Monteagle, TN Civil War Battles or Campsites?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Battles on Monteagle??? Dont think so but remember that they crossed the mountain from Nashville stones river and duck river and elk river and thousands came over Monteagle.There were fights at the bottom on both sides.Look for the maps and travel routes over the mtn and you may just find a few camp sites .Heck of a mtn to cross with or with out artillery. I would have to camo on top and then on bottom,,,,,
Best wishes in your research.
Tnmountains
Chattanooga

OP
OP
armchairQB30

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
Thanks for your comments, where would I find some maps for that area? Trail routes? I guess they were on their way to Chatanooga? Were the confederates falling back? Delaying tactic or a retreat?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
armchairQB30 said:
Thanks for your comments, where would I find some maps for that area? Trail routes? I guess they were on their way to Chatanooga? Were the confederates falling back? Delaying tactic or a retreat?
Your local library should have a civil war atlas with maps. The boof I refrence is The Offical Military Atlas Of The Civil War by Maj George B Davis etc it has 821 maps 106 engravings and 209 drawings.
They all were traveling from Nashville mostly. After Stones River and then Duck River they came over Monteagle and the south of Lookout mtn in to Chickamauga then into Chattanooga. They traveled by rail when possible but there is many refrences to Monteagle and the school up there Sewanee. If they still have that old flea market up there by the freeway go over there and there is an old guy selling relics.I bought a 32 lb solid shot seige ball from him. He knows all the old routes over Monteagle just be careful if you buy anything he had some good stuff, some not. He said he got a lot of munitions off the trails over the mtn. Considering Monteagle I beleive it.I have hunted off the Chattanooga side on private property. Be careful that you have permission when you hunt in these mtns and valleys they are wary of strangers. Its almost Turkey season here as well and the timber rattlers up there are thick.
Hope this helps you a little and good luck.
Tnmountains

OP
OP
armchairQB30

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
I have permission to hunt 50 acres on a mountain from a friend who owns the property. I might need a guide, interested?

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT All Pro,Fisher F-19,Blistool V-5,Sovereign XS
Armchair,I'm in Winchester about 30 miles away.Send a pm and I'll try to help & possibly plan a hunt.DBULL

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked up maps last night. I saw the ones on the Chattanooga side. I lease 1400 acres in the cove there....Which side are you talking about ? I hunted Indian artifacts today did so-so. Going to post them in the ancient artifact section afterwhile.

Tnmountains

OP
OP
armchairQB30

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
Dont have the location yet from the landowner, I am meeting him up there in May. I will call him next week for the location.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds goood. Did he ever say anything about any possible civil war activity roads or campsites? By then you will know where all the roads are or were. If nothing else may be some old home sites or moon shine stills. There are a lot of great rock shelters near the bluffs also for indian artifacts. Good luck if I can help anymore let me know. Enjoy your adventure !

Tnmountains

Mike_of_Tenn

Nov 19, 2008
White Bluff, TN
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-Terra 70
Just want to add that "The Offical Military Atlas Of The Civil War by Maj George B Davis" that TNMountains mentioned is a great source and must have book for any CW relic hunter!

Mike

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike_of_Tenn said:
Just want to add that "The Offical Military Atlas Of The Civil War by Maj George B Davis" that TNMountains mentioned is a great source and must have book for any CW relic hunter!

Mike
I used it for a hunt today ; )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions