East Tn. barite mining and a lost silver mine ( sorry If I posted this twice)

tennessekidd

Greenie
Sep 20, 2008
SouthEast Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202/ modified 4", 8", 16" coils
Bounty Hunter PinPointer/ digger & mag tool handle
Whites XLT/ 8"x24" custom Coil,
MineLab Eplorer XS/
Garrett Infinium LS /
Hello: I'm Jay
I'm new to this sit and have been reading a lot of post lately and I'm quite impressed with all the information shared between everybody. Anyhow to the case in point.

About six years or seven years ago or so. I was told a story by a older gentleman referring to a lost silver mine in Del Rio tn near or around the french broad river. Well let me tell you, thats all it took to get me thinking. For Years (before the story was past to me) Us local boys have been ridding these backwoods. And I had recalled there being a collection of old Barite mines that just so happened to be near that particular area. So that stated my search or hunt for any and all info I could find relating to these old mines. I will tell you I have come across very little published Info on these mines. Most of which has been a few geology prints and stories from old timers. Both have proven to be very informative on the subject of the mines in question. But next to no information referring to a lost silver mine.

To the best of my knowledge. This is a short version the of the story that was told to me of a lost silver mine.

In Del Rio not far from the French Broad river. Between Wolf creek and Stone Mt. Was An Indian settlement, they mined silver near by. Shortly after most of the Indians where drove out by white settlers and after the rail road was cut through this region. Two brothers stumbled upon a vain of silver near a small branch in a steep hollow. The brothers Began to counterfeit coins in an old bloomery or furnace that happen to be close by the silver vain. Soon after counterfeiting the silver coins they where caught and one of them where put in prison. Years after this occurrence. A local farmer recalled his father and him going to an old dry creek bed. Getting lead to run bullets for hunting. It to was close to an old furnace that his father said was left be the Cherokee that had a camp near by.
( This is a typed copy of a letter one brother sent to the other I found a few years ago in an old book)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DEAR FRIEND AND BRO,
IM AM IN JUST RECEIPT OF YOUR LETTER
WAS GLAD TO HEAR FROM YOU ALTHOUGH I HAD ALMOST COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT YOU HAD QUIT WRITING ME
I WAS GLAD THAT GEORGE GOT OUT OF HIS TROUBLE ALRIGHT
--------------------------missing line----------------------------------------------
WHICH WAS LEFT BY T.C. EBBS AND CO. AT THE J.H.B. MINES IS YOUR PROPERTY YOU DON’T HAFTO BY IT ALTHOUGH YOU AND I MAY NEED IT WHEN WE OPEN OUR LED AND SILVER MINE IT WILL BE THE THING TO DUMP OFF THE REFUSE OF THE MINE
THE WAY FROM IT IS-------------------------------missing line--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------WITH YOU PLEASE---------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------missing line-----------------------------------DATE LEFT BY UNCLE GEORGE. I AM QUITE SURE THAT HE (UNCLE GEORGE) KNEW OF THREE DISTANT PLACES WHERE LED AND SILVER WAS TAKEN FROM THE SECTION HE SPEAKS OF THE OLD ELLISON MILL BUT DOES NOT MENTION ANY OTHER NAMES ONLY THAT THE MINE WAS SOUTH EASTER BY FROM SAID OLD MILL AND I SUPPOSE THIS TO BE IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD OF OLD MAN NICHOLS OR ALDOPH ASHEN PLACE
THIS ONE IS THE UPPER SILVER MINE MARKED BIRCH AND ASH TREE. THEN ONE BACK OF THE HAWKINS FARM MARKED BY A BIRCH AND A DOGWOOD THIS IS THE LOWER MINE BUT THE ONE THAT IS ABOUT 4 MILES FROM THE MOUTH OF BIG CREEK EAST OF THE ABERHAM PENLAND HOME IS THE ONE THAT HE SEEMS TO APPROVE MOST. IT IS IN THE HEAD OF A LITTLE SHARP HOLLOW AT SAME TIME HAD RUNNING WATER IN IT
LOCATED AT THE ROOT OF A WHITE OAK TREE ABOUT ONE AND ONE FOURTH MILES FROM THE MOUTH OF ROCKS CREEK OR HIS SHOP
TOM EBBS A GRANDSON OF UNCLE GEORGE HAS THESE DESCRIPTIONS AND HE WOULD HAVE GONE OUT THERE IF I HAD NOT HAD COLD WATER ON IT ---------------------------------------------------------------missing line------------------------------------------------------
TOM WAS THERE ABOUT 8 MONTHS AGO BUT HAS LEFT THIS PLACE I THINK HE HAS GONE TO TEXAS NOW TOM I AM QUITE SURE THAT I CAN FIND THESE MINES I DO BELIEVE IT ON THE OLD JOHN MICHALS FARM OR JOE JONES FOR SURE MY REASON FOR IT IS THIS MINE WAS MARKED BY THE INDIANS AND YOU RECALL THAT CHAS HONEY TOLD US OF SEEING A OLD FURNACE UP IN ONE OF THOSE HOLLOWS ON THE JOE JONES FARM
I BELIEVE THAT THIS FURNACE WAS MADE AND USED BY THE INDIANS
ON MY JUDGEMENT THE EBBS MINE IS WITHIN 1/4 MILE FROM THE OLD FURNACE SO IF YOU LOOK FOR THE MINE YOU CAN BE SAFE IN LOOKING IN THE RADIUS OF 1/4 MILE FROM THAT OLD FURNACE
BE SURE AND SEND ME THE SAMPLES OF MINERAL AND IF ANYTHING FURTHER DEVELOPS LET ME KNOW

TC EBBS
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This letter and the few stories that have been past to me are the only information that I have currently been able to come up with on my own referring to a silver mine.
I live in the area in question and have located many of the barite mines, but have had no luck in finding any substantial physical evidence fitting the tales of the silver mine.
chances are that it is a small vain-let that has reached the surface at some point. And because of the heavy mineralization and mining in the region. It is a high possibility the the stories are true. I have found no documentation of any silver mining in this area. but core sample records of some barite mines near by. Show trace amounts of Lead, Iron ore, silver, and pyrite among other minerals and metallics. This region was heavily mined for barite in the 1800's up into the 1900's. Then with the mining of barite in the west at a lesser cost. Most of the mining in this region were shut down or abandoned.

Thanx for allowing me to post. And would like to obtain more information about this area and region if anybody has any to share.
thanx again: Jay from Tennessee
p.s
I have currently located near twenty of these barite mines in the area.

Mike_of_Tenn

Nov 19, 2008
White Bluff, TN
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-Terra 70
Hey Jay, although I have no info for you on the mine I do want to tell you to be really carefull in this area! Alot of rattlers out that way! I used to live in Newport myself for 3-4 years. If the snakes aren't enough to scare ya watch-out for the moonshinners (yes they are still doing it up there) and the pot farmers! Also I had a friend show me a nice gold nugget they found in a creek close to Gatlinburg, I forget the name of it right now but I used to trout fish in it. If you go the back way to Gatlinburg you pass through this little town that starts with a "C" I believe, the creek shares the same name as the town. Do you know which one I am talking about? If I remember I'll let ya know. Also in newport there stands an old Resort from the late 1800's to early 1900's that is easy to find. May want to check that out also. And again if I can find the info on it I will let ya know..

HH!!!

Mike

OP
OP
tennessekidd

tennessekidd

Greenie
Sep 20, 2008
SouthEast Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MineLab Eplorer XS/
Garrett Infinium LS /
Hi mike.
Thanx for the post. And yes, I to I'm very familiar with Cosby (good rainbow fishing) I lived in this area for most of my life.
Speaking of finding gold around here. Ive found a few nice specimen's near Waterville Tn and the Cosby area. Most were small and embedded in quartzite. By the why you mentioned moonshiners. A very renowned shiner named Popcorn Sutton died recently. and it was on the national news to... :icon_scratch: Who would have every thought that an old timer who still ran shine would be so famous or infamous ? Ive meet the man on many occasions, seemed to be just like you think a moonshiner should be. Google his name and you might just be surprised on how much info comes up.
I think I Know the resort you are referring to but have never thought about researching the place.
Good Idea, thanx again mike and don't be a stranger the door is always open. :thumbsup:

Mike_of_Tenn

Nov 19, 2008
White Bluff, TN
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-Terra 70
I know of "PopCorn", he was in a documentry on moonshine infact. Sorry to hear of his passing. Heck I bet we know alot of the same people around there. I used to work in Gatlinburg at the Smokey Mountain Brewery, and quit it to to to work for Lisega in Newport. I met alot of old fellows there and moonshine was VERY easy to find if one was searching. Sure would like to see your gold if ya have pictures! Maybe if I get back up your way we can go swinging together! Keep in touch!

Oh and welcome to the forum!

Mike

OP
OP
tennessekidd

tennessekidd

Greenie
Sep 20, 2008
SouthEast Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MineLab Eplorer XS/
Garrett Infinium LS /
The brewery mmm. yes I severed a little time at the pedler years back,next to the river. good ole Gatlinburg lol.. :tongue3:
I curently do not have any pictures of my finds on my computer to upload, but Ill see what I can do.
thanx again mike and good talking to you.
Jay

TNglen

Feb 24, 2008
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500, Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jay. Glen here; from bristol. The book Silver in the Unaka by Buddy Johnson has references similar to your letter in it. I have seen and have somewhere 2 articles from treasure magazine about silver mine(s) in east tennessee. If you're interested, i'll try to find them and get you some info on them.

OP
OP
tennessekidd

tennessekidd

Greenie
Sep 20, 2008
SouthEast Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MineLab Eplorer XS/
Garrett Infinium LS /
That would be great Glen...
The book Silver in the Unaka by Buddy Johnson. I havent found a copy as of yet And thanks for the info.

TNglen

Feb 24, 2008
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500, Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jay. Sorry, just got back here. You might check the local library. There is a copy of silver in the unaka at the bristol library/ might be one locally as well. Below is a description of Beauty Spot Gap near Erwin TN. Last paragraph mentions the lost silver mine.

Beauty Spot Gap

[Fig. 30(10)] Beauty Spot Gap, about 5 miles farther along the drive at an elevation of 4,500 feet, attracts many visitors who come to see wildflowers. Updrafts of wind along the steep mountainside bring thousands of seeds to this area on this side of Unaka Mountain. This area is a microclimate with much fog. The rich and moist soil provides an ideal habitat for trillium, spiderwort (tradescantia virginiana), coreopsis (Coreopsis sp.), whorled loosestrife (Lysimachia quadrifolia), bluebead lily (Clintonia borealis), and many other wildflowers.

Near here is believed to be an old silver mine. Many people have searched unsuccessfully for the lost mine that a prospector worked. He traveled on foot through the villages below the mountain en route to his secret mine. It is said that he always returned with some silver. If the mine has been rediscovered, it has been kept a secret.

This is a scenic viewing area.

highnrg

Jul 22, 2011
I was told that there is some abandoned acreage near some of the mining took place can anyone give me any details?

OP
OP
tennessekidd

tennessekidd

Greenie
Sep 20, 2008
SouthEast Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MineLab Eplorer XS/
Garrett Infinium LS /
Thanks Glen for the info. I do remeber reading that story some time back. just dont remeber where at.... and no luck at the local library's. im think about trying Amazon.

michaelgosnell

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2011
Would love to have some more info on this i grew up in marshalnc and Greene co tn and always heard of duck sheltons solver mine

Squttnbear

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in southern New Market, just over the Jefferson County line from Sevier county. I'd be very interested to know of any abandoned mines nearby that you know of.

Nov 6, 2023

Thomas613a stated he knew something about the silver mine.

I live in del Rio and was looking for info on the sphalerite mine.
Sherry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions