NEED APPRAISALS OF OLD,OLD,OLD PAPER ITEMS!

Kimbrough

Jun 18, 2006
Signal Mountain, TN
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Hey everyone, I guess you could say I found a treasure trove! I have a few old prints from my grandfather's estate that nobody wanted. My family was going to throw them out so I asked if I could have them and they said yes!
My grandfather took the time to collect these items and frame them so I guess they must be worth something, if only to him - and now - the history buff in me. My question is, is there any place to get them appraised or to research these things? By the way, my grandfather's name is Jefferson Davis. I know he is a direct descendant to the actual President of the Confederate States and my grandfather was interested in the history of the man.
Here is a list:

1. A print of General Robert E. Lee in full Confederate uniform, sword and all. It was taken from the original plate, now in the archives of the Virginia Historical Society in Richmond, VA. Sent to my GF in 1955.
DSC02656.jpg

2. An original hand-written document from 1843. State of Mississippi Chancery(sp?) Court. Looks like a settlement for an estate. Signed Robert Hughes Clark and someone else's name I can't read.
DSC02644.jpg

3. 2 documents from "The Republic of Texas" dated 1838. Looks like a land deed of "One League and Labor" to a John R. Owen. These are original documents and show his hand-written seal, signature, etc. Looks like he got married, moved to Shelby county and received the land and paid $1200.00 for it. The other document is the receipt with a grant number from the county of San Augustine "Republic of Texas."
DSC02642.jpg

4. A hand-written letter of Indenture dated 1844. Looks like a land transfer from one person to another. In this case, it is a league of land granted to Abraham W. Goodwin. San Augustine county "Republic of Texas" on the Patogatcho Bayou. Granted by the Government of Mexico... Also includes a hand-drawn map of the property and boundaries. Cool.
DSC02657.jpg

5. A Confederate newspaper called The Daily Citizen. Dated Thursday July 2, 1863. Vicksburg, Miss. J.M. Swords, proprietor. Some Civil War news. The most interested thing (to me) is it is printed on what looks like wrapping paper. The back side of the paper is decorated with dogwood petals in silver and gold dots mark the insides of the petals and all over the paper. Very cool.
DSC02651.jpg

6. A document I guess this is a $100 Confederate War Bond. Number 5685. Dated May 1, 1861. It's original with hand-written signatures and such.
DSC02652.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to see a photo or two of the Confederate War Bond. Some of those can fetch a good price.

OP
OP
Kimbrough

Kimbrough

Jun 18, 2006
Signal Mountain, TN
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
UPDATE: The "Daily Citizen" newspaper was discovered by me to be a FAKE. It is one of the most copied memorabilia of the Civil War.

As the Union seige of the city wore on, Swords' supply of paper ran out, so he resorted to the use of wallpaper, as did several other Southern editors during the rebellion. On July 4, Vicksburg surrendered, the publisher fled, and the Union forces found the type of the newspaper still standing. They replaced two-thirds of the last column with other matter already in type and issued the newspaper by General Grant's order.

Originals of these "wallpaper newspapers" sell for around $3k to $6k. Only a handful of authentic ones are known to exist.

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
Just asking, but how did you conclude the newspaper was a fake? I knew that Vicksburg printed it's paper on wall paper during the seige, but how could you tell this was not a original?? Just wondering.

OP
OP
Kimbrough

Kimbrough

Jun 18, 2006
Signal Mountain, TN
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
diggummup said:
21stTNCav said:
Just asking, but how did you conclude the newspaper was a fake? I knew that Vicksburg printed it's paper on wall paper during the seige, but how could you tell this was not a original?? Just wondering.
Here's a good little read for ya-http://www.historicpages.com/vickfake.htm
Yep. That's how I found out it was a fake. I learned something new, though and that's a good thing.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey
I have a bunch of letters from the civil war with confederate states on the top and a bunch of the confederate bonds with the stamps on the bottom as well. If you find anyone around Chattanooga that does appraisal's let me know.
Thanks
TnMtns

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kimbrough said:
The Republic of Texas Land Grant is turning out to be quite a treasure. Lots of parties interested.... update soon.

I can imagine the new owners would go nuts over something like that. Keep us updated :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Kimbrough

Kimbrough

Jun 18, 2006
Signal Mountain, TN
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Wow, I just sold the Land Grant on the 'Bay for over $450!!! There were dozens of "watchers." I even got several letters from the archives department of the Texas Land Office interested, obviously, in the history behind these types of papers. They were bucking for a "donation" of this item to their museum. Well sorry but money is tight these days...
Anyways, I have a few links for those interested in research:

American Society of Appraisers:
http://www.appraisers.org/

Appraiser's Association of America:
http://www.appraisersassoc.org/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread