Metal Detecting in TN wildlife management areas

Jonathan James

Jul 19, 2009
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, White's Spectrum XLT, White's Quantum2, White's Eagle2, White's Surf PI, White's 4900, White's 5900 Di/Pro SL, White's Classic ID, White's Coinmaster 1, Garrett AT Pro, Tesor
I have recently stumbled onto some old maps that show several homesteads located inside a wildlife management area near my home. I scouted the area and found a set of stone pillars with an old road in between them. None of the old homesites I believe are still standing and I did not take the time to locate them. Instead I figured that I better try to gain permission from the TWRA before devoting too much time on this venture. Needless to say, I contacted the TWRA office and spoke with the area manager on this matter. I gave him the spill on our code of ethics and assured him that no visible damage will be left and even offered that if any significant relics were found that I would donate them to our county historical society.

The answer was NO. He stated that there would be a conflict of our natural resources.

He stated that no metal detecting is allowed in any Tennessee wildlife management areas.

TN_MD

Jan 6, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Radio Shack 2v6 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD , And a Homebuilt M.D.
Fl1ntpo1nt said:
I have recently stumbled onto some old maps that show several homesteads located inside a wildlife management area near my home. I scouted the area and found a set of stone pillars with an old road in between them. None of the old homesites I believe are still standing and I did not take the time to locate them. Instead I figured that I better try to gain permission from the TWRA before devoting too much time on this venture. Needless to say, I contacted the TWRA office and spoke with the area manager on this matter. I gave him the spill on our code of ethics and assured him that no visible damage will be left and even offered that if any significant relics were found that I would donate them to our county historical society.

The answer was NO. He stated that there would be a conflict of our natural resources.

He stated that no metal detecting is allowed in any Tennessee wildlife management areas.

it is not listed on the web site http://www.state.tn.us/twra/
i don't see where any MD is going to do any more damage than an ATV does. and they are allowed.
I will do some further research.
Karl

OP
OP
Jonathan James

Jonathan James

Jul 19, 2009
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, White's Spectrum XLT, White's Quantum2, White's Eagle2, White's Surf PI, White's 4900, White's 5900 Di/Pro SL, White's Classic ID, White's Coinmaster 1, Garrett AT Pro, Tesor
I could not find the law myself, but have to take into consideration that "the man" was being honest with me. :)

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here's all it sez about it-------

WMA Property Conservation
No person shall damage or remove any trees or other plants, dirt, gravel or sod from any Wildlife Management Area or other Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency-controlled lands without specific authorization.

TN_MD

Jan 6, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Radio Shack 2v6 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD , And a Homebuilt M.D.
So again we are left up to getting permission,

I still don't see where metal detecting will leave any more damage than horse back riding or atv trails. IMHO.

Karl

I will write the director an email here in the next few weeks and see what he says.

OP
OP
Jonathan James

Jonathan James

Jul 19, 2009
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
I was told by the area manager that detecting inside the boundaries of the questioned property was not permitted PERIOD. He stated that it was a "conflict of our natural resources". Whatever you can get from that.

But would really like to know why there are a set of stone columns in the middle of the woods.

I will try and go back and get a few pictures ASAP.

TN_MD

Jan 6, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
plz do would like to see the pics.

Karl

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jonathan, I just came aacross this thread. What ever happened with tthis siduation? Did you get a response to your email?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me too. TWRA is like that unless you know the game wardens. You would think that since they put in food plots and do selective logging it would be ok. TVA is the same way on the rivers and metal detecting. You would think you could hunt the shore lines but you can not. Heck they flooded whole towns.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread