Sep 20, 2008
SouthEast Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202/ modified 4", 8", 16" coils
Bounty Hunter PinPointer/ digger & mag tool handle
Whites XLT/ 8"x24" custom Coil,
MineLab Eplorer XS/
Garrett Infinium LS /
Sure can as long as you dont and I quote "use any mechanical meens of equitpment" nothing but pans and a hand shovel..

But.. I was told by a park ranger that its a touchy subject due to that there has known to be a notticable amount of color in the little pigeon .. so its kind of ok as long as your not disturbing the river in any form. :dontknow:

auchaser

Sep 30, 2008
Powell, TN
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
You might want to drive over to Townsend. The Pigeon river there has some nice gold. You can use a sluice box or even a dredge over there. Just DO NO GO INTO THE PARK BOUNDRY. PM me and i'll tell where I have got some pretty decent flakes.

two bear

Dec 14, 2013
Smoky Mtns of east Tn
Detector(s) used
Whites metal detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey roadguy1- you can pan in the Pigeon River. As for Townsend, its not the Pigeon River its Little River and I have seen a quarter ounce nugget come out of there. I have dredged it many times and panned, sluiced. Now you can't dredge it anymore. Panning and sluicing is ok. The old timers in the late 1800's took over 3 million dollars worth of gold. IF you can find a gravel bank or some big boulders they are usually good spots. Lots of mercury both natural and left behind by old prospectors. Gold is anywhere from small dust, flat flakes and nuggets, just depends on where you dig. Don't dig in the banks. Lots of people watch after the river. Stay out of the boundaries of the Smoky Mountains Park.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread