Sand Shark/ Infinium LS

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been thinking of getting a Sand Shark for beach work and have been looking at some air test results a few posts back where the operator used several different gold chains to gauge the Sand Sharks sensitivity to these items.
I have an Infinium at the moment and it will respond to 9ct 15 inch curb link chain with the chain folded in half at an air distance of 7.5 inches. Each link is solid and 1mm thick, 5 mm long and 4 mm wide.
It will respond to an 7gm 22ct mans gold ring at an easy distance of 26cm (about 10 inches).

I would have thought the Sand Shark would be a lot more sensitive to gold than what the air tests a few posts back indicate?

Adrian SS

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used the Infinium LS for only one season and found no gold chains. This only means I didn't get the coil over one. The Sand Shark will respond to small earring backs easily but I haven't tried them for distance.

OP
OP
A

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
G/Day Sandman,
I have several detectors and I am a bit of a Tesoro fan.
I was hoping the Sandshark would be better on small gold items. My infinium will not respond to gold earring studs and toe rings and very fine chains, I have my Lobo Super traq for finding those items, it is a great detector and works on the beach quite well if I drop the sens to around 7-8, I can take it into the waves at that setting and have found coins 8 to 10 inches down in wet saltwater sand.
The detector can be a little chirpy in those conditions but targets are still easily identified from the background noise.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always tell the guys that you should think of the detectors like golf clubs, one for every job. Most hunters only want to use one detector for everything and it is only so-so for some areas or jobs. Course if you are short of money you have to make do with what ever you can afford.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Sorry to ask a typical question but how is the depth like on the sand shark? I am considering an Infinium but still looking.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depth of a detector is hard to define as conditions of the area and coil size affect the results. I have dug dimes from near 18 inches with the Sand Shark but can not say that is as deep as it goes as maybe that was just the deepest coin I had the coil over. Also the surf has to be calm so you can hear the tiny sounds from any detector for max depth. At one beach maybe you can find coins at 12" but you shouldn't report it as that is as deep as it can go. Reading results like this could make you think this detector is a dud when in fact that is the only coins found at that area at that time.

Add to this all depth reading should be taken with a grain of salt sorta like fish stories or your buddies date. :D

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Thanks for reply,
it is at least good to know a rough estimate. I'm trying to decide which pi to get, the infinium looks to be ahead.
I know what you mean by trying to estimate the depth of a target, unless you measure the hole properly, a 4" hole could seem like a 10" hole when looking down. Or the target could continually be sliding back into the hole as you're digging.

scrooge

May 3, 2008
Treasure Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Dual Field,Whites PI Pro,Whites SurfMaster II- Tesoro Silver Saber uMAX-Garrett Infinium LS
Get the Sand Shark..........my Infinium is on it's second trip in for repairs in 9 months.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread