erratic behavior

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Someone please describe for me what exactly happens when a deleon acts erratic? If your in "bad" soil? Do all the numbers jump around like crazy and even if you turn sens down all the way and disc up all the way nothing helps? What other things make a metal detector "freak out"? Will having a Cortes for instance and utilizing manual ground balance remedy the problem?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it erratic all the time ?

Or just some places ?

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Deleon has done it once or maybe twice, had to be interference from something, adjusting sensitivity had no effect.

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
the same thing happened to me once. There was a site that the thing just went crazy on. My buddy had an xlt and we were both hunting along. I thought it was just me turns out the xlt was doing the same thing so of was likely the ground.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could have been a cell phone or tower or any number of interferences.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
A couple of weekends ago, I was at a lot that was near a transformer pot on a pole and the DeLeon started bouncing the #'s and doing the wa-wa-wa sound in the headphones. Had to back off about 75-100 feet for it to clear up. Later I went back and it worked just fine. ???

dirtdiver

Oct 30, 2007
I have the Cortes, and the same thing has happened to me about three times. No matter what i did it would not go away. One time it happened in my yard, and the odd thing is that i have detected my yard several times with no problems. I wonder if Ham radios could cause the problem.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
One way to get rid of many interference problems is to install a disc capacitor somewhere around .05 to .1 mfd and around 5 vdc (in parallel) on the return wire from the searchcoil. In other words it bleeds off much of the intereference.

That will NOT correct the high gain problem when it reacts to unusually high iron content in bad ground though. Capacitors are used for many different reasons but taming down sympathetic signals or audible noise are two of their best uses. It's a simple process, as easy as splicing into the connection inside the box or simply unsoldering it at the connection and installing the cap inline. It won't hurt the circuitry either, nor the metal detector in any way unless someone gets too wild while soldering.

LuckyLarry

homer007

Jan 11, 2008
BAIBRIDGE GA
Detector(s) used
WHITE PI PRO, TIGER SHARK,TESORO DELEON/XLT® E-Series Metal Detector. Whites PI Pro Detector
THIS HAPPEN TO ME ALSO TODAY. I LOOKED AROUND AND NOTICES I WAS CLOSE TO POWER LINES.

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
I pretty much have it narrowed down to the television tower right across the street from where I was. Its a big one, I imagine constantly putting out LOTS of power!
Just going to have to find a place away from down town.

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
just wait until a F16 goes by jamming..lol.almost knocked my head phones off!

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say it was some sort of interference. It can reek havoc with any detector at times.

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant detect in my front yard at all and I dont know why. The detector freaks out bigtime.
There are no power lines above there or any other electrical equipment anywhere around.
???

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I read the title of your post, I thought this was a Personal Rant about Nick Pappagiorgio. :tard:

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this person responsible for our erratic detector behavior?!
If so....BAN! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread